How much laundry detergent?

We currently have a LG top loader, similar to W2R. I only use one pod, or if using liquid, barely cover the bottom of the dispenser. I was told years ago by a repairman who was our fixing our old washer years ago, that only 1-2 Tbsp max was needed, and soap companies told people to use too much. Too much soap gummed up the machine (as he was taking apart our entire machine!) We had the best Sears repairman, seemed to be the same one who came each time, back in the day!

There is always the cost of making a laundry cleaner, but in terms of their use impact, they go thru the sanitary sewer systems & are biodegradable, so I'm not seeing your beef.
"Biodegradable" is not a very useful term, IMO, more marketing than science. What does the substance biodegrade into?

I use a concentrated liquid detergent in my (great) Staber washer. It is phosphorous free. The manufacturer says to use 1/2 oz per load (1/2 of a stroke from the convenient pump), and that seems to work fine (I'll pre-treat collars, etc).

I wouldn't be a good candidate for "pods"--I've generally found that things get clean just fine with less than the recommended amount of powder/liquid.

My biggest gripe with most laundry detergent is the fragrances. My daughter uses the regular stuff at her house and if I wash one or two garments worn by my grandson with our regular load, it will stink up everything. That's after a trip through the washer and the dryer. Why do people need to have their clothes smell like something?

\
As a 40-year veteran of the Facilities Management industry, I have a healthy/unhealthy view of what manufacturers regard as 'biodegradable' products. Indeed, down here in the upside-down southern hemisphere land of Oz, there are currently several high-court cases challenging major corporations on their biodegradable/sustainable marketing claims, notably in regards to 'wet-wipes' and similar supposedly 'biodegradable' products.

With a population of only 25miwwion though, we are a pimple on an elephant's glutious maximas planet-wise, still, every little bit helps :)

Around the world the incidences of so-called 'fatbergs' are causing major environmental issues and costs to our sewer treatment and disposal systems. https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...at-are-fatbergs-and-how-do-they-form/70007157

Our domestic wastes, including laundry processes, feed into the contributory factors. If we can reduce our impacts, we should :flowers:

Cheers - Mick

Made my fortune :) in sewage, water, and solid waste. Biodegradeable? I'm as impressed by claims of biodegradability as I am about "flushable" wet wipes. FWIW, you can CLAIM your socks are flushable, because they are. Just don't expect to not have problems with pipes, pumps, screens, filters, and other processes. But if it can get out the lateral connecting your house to the sewer, I guess it won't be a problem. While I'm at it, if today they invented garbage disposals there'd be an outcry from the wastewater folks trying to outlaw them. They actually tried in Raleigh but the pushback was too much.

While I'm at it, if today they invented garbage disposals there'd be an outcry from the wastewater folks trying to outlaw them. They actually tried in Raleigh but the pushback was too much.
+1. I run mine maybe twice a year--it's easier to scrape scraps into the trash can than to try to wash/squeeze them into the disposal. I watched a relative grind/wash down the equivalent of a small turkey over the course of about 5 (loud) minutes, using about 5 gallons of water. I'd like to be his plumber. I don't get it.

Last edited:
Many years ago, TSP, trisodium phosphate, was removed from laundry detergent. Since then, the detergent just doesn't get rinsed from clothes nearly as well. TSP holds dirt in suspension so it can be rinsed away. You can add TSP into your wash, 2tsp to 1/4 cup, and you will notice a difference. Especially with whites. It was removed because it is a sort of fertilizer that causes algae to grow in water. If your water is run off to lakes and streams, that matters. If it goes to a water treatment plant, not so much. If you are on a septic system, it doesn't matter one way or the other.

Lots to read about TSP and laundry detergent if you are interested.

Also, TSP was taken out of dishwashing detergent for same reasons. The main result is that glass gets a milky look to them after a while. It's told that is hard water, but it's just soap not getting rinsed well enough because too much soap is used because TSP was taken off the market in those products. Add 1 tsp to your dishwasher per load and within a few loads, your glasses will once again sparkle and look clear. TSP is available at just about any store that carries cleaning supplies. I get mine from Home Depot, but it's available at Walmart, Amazon, etc. A 1 pound box lasts me about a year or so. Since using it, I now have CLEAN clothes, use a lot less water and detergent to get those clothes clean as well. I also have clean dishes that sparkle.

Cheers!

Last edited:
We make our own laundry detergent powder (just made a batch this afternoon). Here's the recipe:

3 cups borax powder
3 cups washing soda powder
2 lbs baking soda (2 small boxes)
1 14.1 oz bar Zote soap
1 cup Oxyclean/Purex bleach alternative powder (optional)

Shred the Zote soap with the food processor shredder disk, then blend until it is little balls smaller than a BB. Pour in the baking soda and blend again. Pour the Zote/baking soda mix and all the other ingredients into a 5 gallon covered bucket and shake to blend it all together. Keep it in 4 quart lidded plastic container.

We use 2-3 TBSP per load in our top load machine. It will last about 90-100 loads. The cost of all the ingredients (at Walmart) is less than $5.00 per batch.

Last edited:
If you're only interested in the most aggressive cleaning FWIW...

Not sure what that means. I'm interested in my clothes getting clean though. Is there something you know about Tide HE Turbo Clean that is bad for clothes?

Pod person here....

I like pods and they work well. They are more expensive than powder and liquid BUT in my household they we actually save dough by using these because the bulk nature of powder and liquid means that my family generally uses too much - they are not careful measurers. The bonus is that I no longer have powder residue in the hoppers or accidentally spilled on the floor. No drippy bottles, etc. Fan.

Not sure what that means. I'm interested in my clothes getting clean though. Is there something you know about Tide HE Turbo Clean that is bad for clothes?
Some products, including laundry, are better for the environment (ingredients, packaging, etc.) than others. To be fair, Tide has products that range across the entire spectrum from very good to very bad. There are laundry products that are environmentally friendly, get clothes very clean and cost the same or less than big name laundry products. Not looking to convince anyone either way, FWIW.

Last edited:
Some products, including laundry, are better for the environment (ingredients, packaging, etc.) than others. To be fair, Tide has products that range across the entire spectrum from very good to very bad. There are laundry products that are environmentally friendly, get clothes very clean and cost the same or less than big name laundry products. Not looking to convince anyone either way, FWIW.

Oh.
O.K.

Living in California, I'm used to only being allowed to buy the stuff deemed better for the environment anyways.

Last edited:
Pod person here....

I like pods and they work well. They are more expensive than powder and liquid BUT in my household they we actually save dough by using these because the bulk nature of powder and liquid means that my family generally uses too much - they are not careful measurers. The bonus is that I no longer have powder residue in the hoppers or accidentally spilled on the floor. No drippy bottles, etc. Fan.

I agree. Less mess, less waste.

DW and I limit ourselves to the “free and clear” types of detergent. DW has issues with some of the additives, probably the scents, so we stay away from them.

As for the garbage disposal and the “flushable” wipes, nothing goes down the drain except human waste and toilet paper. I have a garbage disposal, but don’t use it except to drain the sink quicker. Turning it on sucks the water down. None of this is because I’m worried about the environment, though I am, it’s because I’m sure I’d need a plumber sooner than later if I partake in those conveniences. I never believed the wipes were flushable and if you use your garbage disposal, I’m convinced there will be grease build up or at a minimum, food clogging. Biggest problem I have is hair in the shower and that soap build up. Thankfully I use an enzyme product regularly and that seems to keep everything running smooth.

As a couple of old people, requiring very little clothing (shorts and a top plus underwear) our sheets and towels are the bulk of our one or two loads a week. I probably overdo on the detergent, but can't recall the last time we had to buy a new jug of the stuff. Sorry, but we just don't worry too much about it. YMMV

DH bought a new container of Arm and Hammer laundry detergent. It has a new style cap. The markings are on the inside of the cap. It’s almost impossible to see the markings for how much to use! And this new cap is opaque so I can’t mark the outside with a line to show the level to use. It’s just 2 of us here so we tend to use the minimum amount. Just dumb that the cap is so hard to use to measure.

THIS. Good item for pet peeve list. Good and awful packaging design is a thing for me.

As I retired we were in middle of ~$60 million worth of wastewater plant improvements. To meet new phosphorus and nitrogen limits. There's a reason phosphorus was removed from detergents; people don't like things like green lakes and dead zones in oceans. Most of it comes from ag, but doesn't stop regulations on dischargers. And not only is there a cost to the improvements, the energy requirements to meet N and P standards are substantial. My clothes and dishes are fine as is.

We use Tide detergent. I didn't realize that it comes in a bunch of different varieties until earlier this week when I bought some. It turns out my wife has been coy with me because she likes the scented kind and even dryer sheets. I don't use dryer sheets at all because I hate them.

Anyways, I bought Tide in the white bottle, unscented, un-dyed, and a clear every-so-light-blue cap, so one can see how much one might be using if one chooses to look.

I wash all my clothes in hot water. This has prevented any stink in bike jerseys and sports clothes (usually polyester & nylon) for decades. I don't "save up" clothes to get one big load, so I am happy to use water levels of low and medium, too.

After a day of digging in the yard to find a water leak my clothes were covered in dirt. I thought they would never get clean, but hot water and Tide got all the dirt out. I was totally surprised.

But the sad news: The water leak was not from my sprinkler system. It is in the trunk line from the main into our house in the area of an underground electric cable. I have to call someone to get it fixed.

We use the scented liquid Tide HE stuff. I tried a load with just 2 tablespoons which is probably about half of what I've normally used. Seemed to come out just fine.

We have a conventional top loader and use original, unscented Tide powder. I first decide how much water I want based on the load size (usually one of the smaller settings). I let the water fill up and when the machine starts, I add a very small amount of detergent and observe it mixing with the water. If needed, I add a little more and observe again until I get exactly the level of "soapiness" in the water that I want for the particular load (amount of soil, type of clothes, etc). Then I add the clothes.

I've been doing this for a long time, so I just know from experience how the water should look for a given type of load. I've never even looked at instructions on the box and I'm not the type to just throw in a pod or two.

True LBYMers use a bar of Fels Naptha and the flaming wash board.

https://youtu.be/VPM52w4mC3g

I'm not trying to save money on this. Mostly it is just for precision and environmental concerns. I usually just want to find an easy rule to live by and go with it. Granted starting a thread on this is a bit over the top. :)

I'm not trying to save money on this. Mostly it is just for precision and environmental concerns. I usually just want to find an easy rule to live by and go with it. Granted starting a thread on this is a bit over the top. :)

In that case, I fill it to the line in the cap.
I use All unscented as that's what CostCo had on sale last two times. Rotate some Arm and Hammer in to get the gym clothes unstinked.
DD swears by Tide for her expensive clothes.

Many years ago, TSP, trisodium phosphate, was removed from laundry detergent. Since then, the detergent just doesn't get rinsed from clothes nearly as well. TSP holds dirt in suspension so it can be rinsed away. You can add TSP into your wash, 2tsp to 1/4 cup, and you will notice a difference. Especially with whites. It was removed because it is a sort of fertilizer that causes algae to grow in water. If your water is run off to lakes and streams, that matters. If it goes to a water treatment plant, not so much. If you are on a septic system, it doesn't matter one way or the other.

Lots to read about TSP and laundry detergent if you are interested.

Also, TSP was taken out of dishwashing detergent for same reasons. The main result is that glass gets a milky look to them after a while. It's told that is hard water, but it's just soap not getting rinsed well enough because too much soap is used because TSP was taken off the market in those products. Add 1 tsp to your dishwasher per load and within a few loads, your glasses will once again sparkle and look clear. TSP is available at just about any store that carries cleaning supplies. I get mine from Home Depot, but it's available at Walmart, Amazon, etc. A 1 pound box lasts me about a year or so. Since using it, I now have CLEAN clothes, use a lot less water and detergent to get those clothes clean as well. I also have clean dishes that sparkle. Cheers!

Interesting, I thought STPP was removed from clothes and dish detergents. Now I have more researching to do...

Back
Top Bottom