How much Sq ft is your home?

Our retirement home is in Fla. and we have 2583 sq ft. living. 4 bedrooms 3 baths 2 1/2 car garage. (wish I had 3 car garage)

DW is breaking my shoes for a pool. Pools in Fla. are very expensive last quote we got was 76K, crazy.

DW is breaking my shoes for a pool. Pools in Fla. are very expensive last quote we got was 76K, crazy.

:confused:

We put one in less than 4 years ago. Including the large enclosure, pumps, paver decking, coping, and a fiberglass (i.e. expensive) pool the whole thing was under $40k. It's about 15' x 32'.

My condo has 860sq ft. Far more than I need. I may get a roommate since it has a second bedroom and 1/2 bath. Couldn't imagine filling 1000sq ft let alone 3 or 4x that much.
Aaron, this may be of interest should you ever wish to move from a condo to a house: The Little House - Home [approx. 312 sq. ft.].

How about 1 m wide (3ft)?

http://freshome.com/2007/11/06/narrowest-house-in-the-world-just-1-meter-wide/

During the economic downturn of the early 90's, I used to joke with my friends that all I would need were two coconut trees on a beach front in Hawaii. Two trees, because that was what I needed to stretch out a hammock. A person really does not need much.

As stated, my home in the mountain is not big, but I have a bit of land. The frontage of the lot is 250ft. And the adjacent lots are empty. No coconut trees, but a swingset on the deck, a good breeze with temperature in the 70s to rustle the pines, and it's as good as Hawaii. Well, at 7000ft, for 5 months of the year anyway.

One may not need the big house, but the space. This may be the reason I have not travelled to Asian countries. I would feel suffocated.

Ours is 2600 sq ft on two stories. As of now it's just the wife and I along with one dog and two cats (which I would love to evict).

We moved from a 1000 sq ft condo so we still have not come close to filling this thing with furniture. We're still "working" on the kids part so we have two extra bedrooms that are just sitting waiting to be filled.

Ours is 2600 sq ft on two stories. As of now it's just the wife and I along with one dog and two cats (which I would love to evict).

Dog or cats or all 3? And why? Wife got cats, and dog is your?

I live alone in a 1558 square foot house. I plan to retire next year and move to an inexpensive part of the country, where I can afford any size home.

So, I'm not sure what size house I will have in ER. At the moment I am thinking around 1600-1900 square feet. However, at various times in the past year I have thought 1200-1400 square feet, or 2300-2500 square feet, or anywhere in between. I really don't want to end up with too much maintenance, though. Maybe I will stick with 1500-1600 square feet.

I would tell your wife that you need a handyman and yardman (if you don't have one) to help you take care of your large home. Maybe then she would be more inclined to downsize.

Americans in general have absurdly large houses and average sq ft has been increasing for years.For a number of reasons it's likely this trend is starting to go in reverse.The Mcmansion era may be largely over.

Two adult boomers, house is 975 sq feet plus detached 1-car garage. It feels huge after traveling overseas, but after a few months in U.S. it feels small. I wouldn't want any more space or I'd fill it with more stuff. I have too much stuff, not too little space.
In this climate (Anchorage) the garage is a really nice thing to have, even though it's not heated. Lots less scraping ice off the windshield.

Here is the funny thing. Even though I like my 3700 sq ft house, I just sold an 1850 sq ft house I had as a temp residency for 5 years in Austin, and loved it. And I only used the front formal rooms (~500 sq ft) as a home office, and could easily have done without it. And I liked that house nearly as much.

I am 52 DW is 47 & we look forward to "Have Funds Will Retire" stage of our lives.

Our House is a full 3600 sq ft (Heated & Cooled)4 bed 3 bath 3 garage, and has & is serving us well. I want to downsize as the House maintenance is becoming a chore & comes in the way of spending time in other joyfull activities apart from the huge expense involved.

Our baby will soon be leaving home for college, at which time me & my wife will have the house for ourselves. I want to downsize and DW does not, & we keep going to & fro in our deliberations. She wants enough space for children & future grandchidren visits, apart from the relatives & friends who visit us often(We live in Florida).

We wonder how much sq feet living area, other 50 plus yr olds live in ?

There is just the two of us...(six if you include the cats) rattling around in 3300 sq ft. We do not use all of the space. However I bought the place in 1992, in Philly. Which means I bought during a recession in a city people were hot tailing it out of. ( Out migration has slowed a bit I'm happy to say.) This place was cheap. Very low mortgage and taxes. Dear Husband and I did try to down size just after we got married six years ago. Sticker shock convinced us it was cheaper to keep her and so we are doing the home remodel bit and staying put.

The place suites us. We are within walking distance to public transportation of all sorts so no longer need a second car. ( We could count the scooter I guess) We can get to the burbs easily for shopping and in town (20 min.) for all of the arts and entertainment we love. We plan to leave here feet first.

I have a 500 sq ft apartment in the central city. I also have a pretty good sized storage area, maybe 25 sq. ft, and a shared room to keep my bicycle.

I could get more space for less money by moving a little farther out, or into a worse neighborhood. Sometime I might. If I were to do that, it would likely be the farther out option rather than the more gunfire option.

BTW, anyone know how much living space is in 40' monohull sailboat?

Ha

We currently have 1750 sq ft and find that to be adequate for two adults and two teenagers. DW works from home and uses BR#4 as her office.

We had 2400 sq ft on two levels plus a 1600 sq ft unfinished basement when we were on the east coast but downsized when we moved back to CA.

The biggest problem when we down sized was realizing that the problem was not that we had to little space but that we had to much stuff and that we would actually be much more comfortable in the smaller space if we got rid of some furniture and other possessions.

MB

We have 2500sq ft with 3BR, 2 1/2 baths, gameroom and pool. DW and I and our 6 mo old puppy live alone since DS moved into his own apt. At some point we will downsize to a one story without pool for our "golden years". I am at risk for a recurrence of my cancer so any move is down the road.

2soon2tell

I currently have 2800 sq.feet and two car plus boat garage . I would eventualy like to sell and get a 1800 to 2000 sq.foot home. My house is three levels so there is a lot of upkeep . The strange thing is my house in New Jersey was only 1600 sq. feet but it felt larger .

Dog or cats or all 3? And why? Wife got cats, and dog is your?

I should have been more clear. Yes, the cats belong to my wife. The dog is "ours" but only listens to me, and I do all the feeding, walking, grooming, ball throwing, and ear scratching. My wife knows better than to ask who I like the most.

1,200 sq feet. Actually it's my Aunt's house but I will inherit it. She lives with my Mom. Plenty big for me and the mutt.

A little less than 1000 s f with one person and one cat. Way too big with too much stuff. Would love to tear it down and replace with a smaller and more efficient place.

A little less than 1000 s f with one person and one cat. Way too big with too much stuff. Would love to tear it down and replace with a smaller and more efficient place.

I often wonder if this would work for me. My wife wouldn't have any of it though.

Houses | Tumbleweed Tiny House Company

PS. I would still need a 2-car garage, not for car, but for a workshop. Wait, if I have such a tiny house, what would I need a workshop for?

I thought so too.

Aren't those interesting? It makes you realize that a person doesn't need a whole lot. The problem is I'd like to put a tiny house like that in a nice location. Most often, the deeds or CCR would specify that you've got to build no smaller than 2500 sqft or such.

Back
Top Bottom