How much time do you spend here?

How often do you read/post to this forum?

• 4 or more times each day

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • 2 or 3 times each day

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • Once a day

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • 3 or 4 times each week

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • less often

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters

jjquantz

Full time employment: Posting here.
This is more than just me being curious. (Maybe :blush:) I feel like I am constantly coming in on interesting threads just as they are dying off and have trouble keeping up with what everyone is doing. So I was wondering how much of this was just my perception and how much has to do with my online habits compared to other members of the group.

I chose once each day, even thought this past week I was lucky to check once or twice. Now that I'm back home, I will resume my morning check-in routine.

Last edited:
Most days i'm online for about 12 hours. During that time I will likely check in on this site dozens of times.

It really depends on which device I am using for the web. If iphone, the seldom, ipad maybe once a week, computer on and off as long as I am on the computer. My computer is next to my TV chair and during commercial I will surf, check this site and several others. Mostly in the evening.

My laptop has fused to my lap, so I'm online quite a bit. It's easy to hit the bookmark for this site, so I check in several times a day. But, I usually just note the "Recent Threads" and open one or two of 'em.

My laptop has fused to my lap, so I'm online quite a bit. It's easy to hit the bookmark for this site, so I check in several times a day. But, I usually just note the "Recent Threads" and open one or two of 'em.

I also just scroll down the "recent threads" and see if something interest me. I'll only go off that list if there's a thread i'm following that's not there.

Depends on whether or not I'm washing my hair, taking a shower, cleaning my teeth.......

Depends on the given day of course but easily 2-3 times a day if I'm indoors.

So far, the polling explains why I always feel like I'm walking into the middle of conversations. :D

Of course we may have to wait a week or so to give people at the longer intervals a chance to see this post.

If I'm putzing around at the 'puter, with several windows open, and I see a new e-mail notification, I check it out....if it's a link to here, (or elsewhere), I most often visit right then.

Usually check the new threads to see if there is anything interesting and probably spend less than thirty minutes here if that much on a daily basis. In the meantime, I'm golfing, or showering and washing my hair.

Way too much time....especially the past couple of days since I have a cold. I am staying in and taking it easy for a couple of days.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Depends. Usually average about twice a day. Sometimes I'll leave an ER window open all day and check it a few times during the day. Total time spent is probably 30 to 60 mins on most days no matter how many times I log on.

Depends on if I'm at w*rk or not...

I am curious how much time people spend here, when they are supposed to be working? Does your employer have a policy on this? If you spend a lot of time on here while at work, how do you justify it? I would think that if you spend a fair bit of time doing this at work, you have passed your "best before date" and you are ready (emotionally at least) for ER.

Good thing I didn't find this site until after I ER'd

Last edited:
I'm a seasonal member. If it's snowing or raining, I'm online a lot. If it's warm and dry outside, I'm online just a bit. Summer is my sparsest season online.

I only connect via my laptop.

I do not belong to any other forums. This is the 5 star place to be. :cool:

I am curious how much time people spend here, when they are supposed to be working? Does your employer have a policy on this? If you spend a lot of time on here while at work, how do you justify it? I would think that if you spend a fair bit of time doing this at work, you have passed your "best before date" and you are ready (emotionally at least) for ER.

I worked for seven years after joining this site. I never accessed it at work. My online activities could have been monitored at any time.

I check in each day that I am at home on my laptop just once. When I am away on holidays, I might check in but usually not. I go away on holidays a lot.

(When I w*rked, I had an agreement with my boss that I would spend 20% of my time on personal stuff: phone calls, emails, forums, lunch. I said it was the current technology way of returning phone calls to people not work-related.)

When I worked, I checked in daily, but now that I'm retired, probably once or twice a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I check in with these forums several times a day, but only contribute from time to time. For the most part, I prefer to follow along rather than to participate. I am an introvert in my online habits as well as in real life :)

The nature of my j*b is to be really busy, or thumb-twiddlingly, mind-numbingly boring. Not that those are mutually exclusive... So surfing the forum does not interfere with my "productivity". :LOL:

Yep, emotionally ready for about fifteen years, but now approaching the finish line!

Back
Top Bottom