How much TV do you watch?

How much TV do you watch per day on average?

• Less than 1 hour

Votes: 21 25.3%
  • Between 1 and 2 hours

Votes: 21 25.3%
  • Between 2 and 3 hours

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • Between 3 and 4 hours

Votes: 12 14.5%
  • Between 4 and 5 hours

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Over 5 hours

Votes: 11 13.3%

• Total voters

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
They say the average person watches over 4 hours of TV per day. How much do you watch and what do you usually watch?

I usually watch between one or two hours at night while I surf the web . It's usually HGTV , white collar or The big bang theory ( which I think is loosely patterened after some of our members)

24/7 - I usually leave it on the weather channel and sometimes Turner Classic movies or PBS. It's sort of a decorative background - I have no idea how much I actually watch it.

Also often put the one in the living room on cable classic rock or golden oldies for background boogie.

heh heh heh - never watch the news except what I catch while web surfing. :cool:

I would say I watch between 2-3 hours. OTA, usually, news, a few favorite shows and sports. I do DVR a lot of it so the programs watched are not too much commercials.

2-3 hours on average, almost all DVRd. Love the cooking shows (Top Chef, Chopped, Iron Chef America, etc). Some PBS - documentaries, NOVA, Antiques Roadshow. NASCAR on the weekend, and a little college football and basketball.

I usually knit prayer shawls while I'm watching which alleviates any potential guilty feelings about not doing something more productive.

Technically I don't watch any tv, I watch laptop. I watch tv shows on my laptop. When I had a tv I watched well over 4 hours/day, all dvr'd. Now I watch an average of 3-4 hours/day on my laptop. It's mostly primetime tv shows but also watch Leno and Daily Show.

Still w*rking, and just had our first kid in April. We pretty much at MAX have 2 hours to ourselves at night that we even could watch TV. We decided to finally ditch cable (the horror!). Ever other night we'll watch an episode of whatever TV series we're receiving on Netflix.

It's our biggest source of entertainment and I use that term loosly.
We have two TV cable systems in our house plus three digital adapters. Something on almost all the time (7AM-midnight). I'm up at seven with a coffee and watching the news and ESPN and maybe the golf channel. Wife gets up at 8AM and watches her sewing shows and then switches to cooking shows. During the day we switch back and forth (counting both systems). I go to my mancave and turn on Fox news while wife is watching soaps, cooking shows, talk shows, Dr. Phil, Headline News and then the local news and national news. Every channel is available to us.

Then I switch to ESPN, the local Rays game, the Bucc's (when it's on) or a golf tournament. Ill be watching the Rider Cup starting tomorrow and then go into hibernation until January and golf starts back up. I love the Discovery Channel, the Military Channel and National Geographic. Wife loves movies when nothing else is on and may switch on the Blue Ray.

We go in and out during the day and never miss a beat or feel like we missed something on TV. Wife had all her shows recorded on the HD/DVR
so nothing goes to waste. When TV sucks she has her computers ready to go. I also spend a lot of time on the computer. Don't know what we would do without TV. By the way, I voted "over 5 hours".

Last edited:
I put down between 1 and 2 hours. I generally have a TV on when I am on the comtuer but I don't "watch" it. I also frequently have a TV on to a news channel when I am reading. But for an hour or two in the evening I will actually watch shows I TIVOd.

I turn on the TV around 5:00 PM and leave it on until I go to bed. But I don't watch the whole time. Nowadays, it has to be a really good program to get my attention.

Dancing or Ice Skating programs only. Even those may fall by the wayside given the maximally annoying commercials. Might invest in a recorder and zip through the idiotic ads.

Tube (or, more accurately, the DLP) is on for as much as four hours on a weekday evening, though I may or may not be watching it.

Mostly watch Cooking or Food Channels, Travel, HGTV, NatGeo, Discovery Science, PBS, or some such, or might watch a movie on Encore, Sundance, etc.

Might be on the computer/Kindle Fire, or maybe wanking on the guitar at the same time. Usually, if I'm in another room for long, I'll switch to "off".

I just realized I never answered my own question. I watch about 1-2 hours a day on average. Mostly the History Channel, News and sports. On a side note, is anyone else here a fan of Pawn Stars? I cannot explain why I enjoy watching that show. Chumlee is a riot!

I watch the same number of reality shows as I have favorite hair bands... :LOL:

I put 3 to 4 hours.... but if you average in the weekends I bet it is more... I like to watch the Sunday political shows and then a game or two....

Now, if you actually count 'show time', I am a lot more.... I do not watch live... an hour show is actually only about 40 or so minutes..... so in 2 hours I can watch about 3 hours of programming... I even DVR the sports and start to watch about 1 1/2 hours into the game and can catch up to watch the ending 'live'... (which means about 5 seconds after it really happened since it takes that long to get the signal it seems)....

2-4 hours a night. Watch more on weekends with football, but other than that make it a rule to forego it during day.

I voted over 5 hours because I watch the baseball games I recorded from the previous night. However... I watch them at double speed so the games complete rather quickly (I'm willing to give up the boring announcers). Anyway, I get through a 3 hour baseball game in a little over an hour. Then I'll watch the Primetime stuff with the wife at night.

I watch CNN International a lot. Really like Fareed Zakaria's (spelling?) GPS and being able to keep up with what is going on in the world no matter where I am. Other regular favorites include some Nat Geo and BBC programs, and the Big Bang theory.
I miss some of the really witty classic BBC comedies like "Yes, Prime Minister"... I have that and other series (Fawlty Towers, Yes, Minister) in DVD, but have not seen anything of the same quality launched in recent years.

About 4 hours all in evening. An in season sporting event, and the 10 o'clock rebroadcast of The Factor.

When DH is off the road two or three hours a night but I'm also surfing on the iPad. When he's traveling the tv doesn't get turned on. He likes me to be with him when he's home and I don't complain ...it's great that he wants me to sit with him after 22 years of marriage.

On a side note, is anyone else here a fan of Pawn Stars? I cannot explain why I enjoy watching that show. Chumlee is a riot!

DS (20) loves it - along with Storage Wars. Me - not so much. But I did enjoy Auction Kings until they started putting the dudes from Michigan on there each week.

Back
Top Bottom