How often do you put people on this board on "Ignore?"

I expect to see both sides of a discussion here. However, you lose when your argument is based on rudeness and satire. I want to see facts.

I look at Facebook daily. I've found many former friends and co-workers, but I've also blocked or un-friended a handful. I prefer Facebook as a social spot, and I don't think it is the place to spout about religion and politics.

And if you can't put a FB picture of yourself up, don't ask to be friends.

What does FB mean?

And Orchid, no, you are not on ignore, I just don't have anything useful to say on the topic. Much of what I observe on the board strikes me as unintentional satire. What could be said about this?

Ha

Facebook, I assume.

Ah, thanks. I wondered "full body", then I thought what does that mean? That one is naked? That one has a full body"? That the pic is head to toe? These things can become confusing to me.

Ha

I don't have anybody on ignore . I tried but was turned down because of forum rules so sometimes I just shake my head and move on. On the whole I find the mix of posters fun and enjoy the discussions . I 've learned a lot about Bonds , withdrawal rates , RV's and the newest gadgets plus a few recipes so thanks everyone !

Looks like I have 1 person on ignore. He's a one trick pony. Just got tired of hearing his rhetoric. This poster also stopped posting a year ago so maybe everyone else ignored him too?

If I put all the clients that either took it out on me because someone else jerked them around before I walked into their office or I found them after their wife chewed them out and they were grumpy or upset on ignore, I'd have had no business or sales at all. I agree with Westernskies that it just doesn't work in business or life. Just IMHO.
Eh...my attitude is that today he's a jerk, tomorrow he's a doll. People are people and just roll with it. Again, just IMHO.

How often do you put people on this board on "Ignore?"

I've only done it once. I was getting about 25 PMs a day from one forum member and enough is enough.

Sorry about that...........I was on a drinking binge that week..........;)

Let me just say that the ignore feature does work :angel:

I only have about 3 folks on ignore. They probably know who they are :LOL:

Like other mods, I cannot ignore any poster's actual posts, but I surely will ignore the content. I am a fan of polite discourse, which, sadly, can be in short supply.

The ignore feature is useful in forums such as ours, as it allows participation without rancor (hopefully) and is much appreciated by longtime posters who contribute significantly to the forum with their experience, education, or life lessons but who don't want to get bogged down in petty arguments.

It is a very reasonable solution, in my opinion. Since we mods can't be ignored either (LOL), I don't have to speculate on that junior high school game of whether I'm the most (or least) popular kid on the playground.

(I've been curious about this for forever it seems, so today I ask.)
I've been curious too. Thanks for bringing it up. I have never put anyone on ignore, I am interested in opposing views. If all I want is someone to agree with, there are plenty of mirrors in the house I can talk to.

I came close to putting one poster on ignore. There are some things I just don't want to hear about, I get worked up and I can't do anything about it anyhow. But a bit later, that same poster started a thread that I found fascinating, so maybe I would have lost more than I gained. That reinforced it to me, and I haven't even come close since.

But if other people feel that putting some on ignore is best for their 'mental health' or enjoyment of the forum, I have no problem with that at all. They are free to do as they see fit. If that is best for them, it is all good. And just to be abundantly clear, I am not being sarcastic at all - I really do mean they should do as they see fit, we are all wired different. No right/wrong.

Along that line, I have always wondered why the "ignored" party is not notified of being "ignored." The "ignore" button serves no useful purpose that I can see unless it has a positive and (and perhaps public) effect.

Yes, some posters have said they think the "ignore" list/count should be made public. To me, that just reeks of 'group think'. If you can't figure out who you don't want to hear from on your own, well, I don't even know what to say about that.

OTOH, being informed of who is putting one on ignore might be useful. I imagine 99% of the time it would be obvious, someone went off in a huff over something you said - fine, they can do as they wish. But if someone that you seem to not have any problem with put you on ignore, that might be worthy of one PM, just to ask, Did I say something to offend? Sometimes our meaning is unclear and/or misconstrued. I'd hate someone to go off thinking I said something I didn't intend.

IMO, those who trumpet their use of the ignore feature are self-centered, one-dimensional personalities who cannot tolerate opposing points of view and probably don't play well with others in real life. But, maybe that's just me-YMMV.

It's not just you. I guess I have no problem with someone saying (once), that a certain comment has 'earned' them ignore status. I guess there is no harm it explaining it (esp since one can't actually tell if they are on ignore directly). But when I see it touted by some, I feel like we are back in middle school.

Heh-heh, that was a lot of typing for so few to read ;)

-ERD50

I came close to putting one poster on ignore. There are some things I just don't want to hear about, I get worked up and I can't do anything about it anyhow. But a bit later, that same poster started a thread that I found fascinating, so maybe I would have lost more than I gained. That reinforced it to me, and I haven't even come close since.
-ERD50

FWIW, I have removed some posters from my list after changing my mind/thinking it over and generally been pleased that I did so. Its not like it is a one-way door...

I've never used the feature. In fact, I'm not certain how it works - if you put someone on "ignore", would a thread just show up missing/skipping any posts by that person?

Generally I'm kind of curious to read even contentious comments. The only thing that might tempt me would be to ignore, as someone else put it, the "gloom and doom" type. I get enough of that from the media! :LOL:

Ksr, try going to User CP then clicking on "Edit Ignore List" in the column on the left. Add someone to your list then take a look at a thread they posted on to see the results. Easy enough to do the reverse and remove them once you've satisfied your curiosity...

Many people have no pic, or a pic of their dog, or some other odd thing.

Hey, you want me to feed you to my dog?;)

img_957058_0_1a900ab1a36737fcbe1326a32526dc97.jpg

I've never put anyone on ignore but it is possible I would. There are a few people whose posts I tend to gloss over while reading a thread.

On another forum I did the equivalent of ignoring someone whose posts were never valuable to me and I was always tempted to respond but I knew that doing so was useless.

I personally think it is a terrible idea to tell people who is ignoring them. For example, on the person I ignored on the other forum, I don't think this is a bad person. I would not want to hurt that person's feelings by letting him/her know that I put them on ignore. Telling someone who has ignored them would be uncomfortably close to having people required to go around and tell someone "I don't like you." Ugh.

Ksr, try going to User CP then clicking on "Edit Ignore List" in the column on the left. Add someone to your list then take a look at a thread they posted on to see the results. Easy enough to do the reverse and remove them once you've satisfied your curiosity...

I did it, thanks. It's easy and works very well. I'll keep that in mind if I start seeing too many "the world is ending" posts. ;)

Use me for your control example- we know that works. :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom