How sharp do you think you'll be at 80+ ?

Lsbcal

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
How will you be when you are over 80. We will assume you make it to that point.

Also how healthy will you be ?

I'll chime in with my guess later on.

That's a good 15 years away for me. Based on the my "progress" (or not) over the past 15 years, I'd rather not think about it too much, that way I won't be disappointed. I think the mind will be okay, but not sure at all about the body.

I'm beginning to think of myself as one of my old cars that needs a full body off restoration.

Last edited:
No one in my family has ever had dementia & my Mom is 99 and completely lucid . As for health I have a chronic condition that will worsen with age .

For me that is 10 years away.

My Mom had dementia at 80 that may have been caused by a stroke in her 60's. Dad died young so I have no reference there. I'm the oldest sibling and as far as I can tell, still know my name in the morning. When I am 80+ I plan to be sharp as I am today, but maybe not moving as fast.

I have no idea. Mom was starting to "lose it" at 83 but could manage day-to-day things well. At 78 my grandfather was fine, mentally. One grandmother was in complete dementia at 90. Nobody else lived to 80.

How sharp do I think I'll be at 80?

I suspect I will have outlived my teeth, probably have a bypass surgery, a hip replacement, new knees, be fighting prostate cancer and diabetes, be half blind, can't hear anything quieter than a jet engine, take 40 different medications that make me dizzy, winded, and subject to blackouts, have poor circulation, bouts with dementia, be unable to remember if I'm 85 or 92. But I'll be OK with that - as long as I still have my driver's license.

Will you be still talking about a possible asteroid strike?

Hopefully, sharp enough to manage to kill myself if I'm diagnosed with dementia! I cannot imagine wanting to continue to live with a less than functional brain. Am not one of those "Oh, I can still enjoy eating ice cream and looking at the pretty flowers" types of people.

I have one friend that I ski with who is 80 and on two board of directors. Another very good friend is 68 an has early onset Alzheimer's.

I'm hoping for the 80 and still skiing! ;)

So... What was the question??

I suspect I will have outlived my teeth, probably have a bypass surgery, a hip replacement, new knees, be fighting prostate cancer and diabetes, be half blind, can't hear anything quieter than a jet engine, take 40 different medications that make me dizzy, winded, and subject to blackouts, have poor circulation, bouts with dementia, be unable to remember if I'm 85 or 92. But I'll be OK with that - as long as I still have my driver's license.

This brings to mind my maternal grandmother who passed away a few years ago at 100. At age 94, she chose to stop driving although she was still able to pass the driver’s test. When I asked her about it, she said she was concerned about safety. I replied, “So you’re having concerns about your driving ability causing an accident?” She responded, “Not at all. It’s the other guy I’m worried about. Imagine driving at highway speed down a two-lane and seeing a 94-year old woman approaching from the other direction. Poor sucker could have the big one. Still, I wouldn’t want him crossing into my lane!” :LOL:

Last edited:
I think I will be pretty sharp. Many relatives made it past 90.

Lately, based on some forgetfulness I get once in a while, I do worry a bit about getting Alzheimers and no one even knowing...

Hopefully, sharp enough to manage to kill myself if I'm diagnosed with dementia! I cannot imagine wanting to continue to live with a less than functional brain. Am not one of those "Oh, I can still enjoy eating ice cream and looking at the pretty flowers" types of people.

Assisted dying legislation has passed in Canada and although it is on hold for 4 months it likely will soon become a reality. Still, various friends and family have agreements with one another...

Personally I hope to be mentally sharp until the day I get hit by a bus but one can only hope. Family members that have survived to old age in the past have held up pretty well although there is definitely a trend to increasing dis-inhibition which can make for lively family discussions!

Of our four parents, only 1 made it to 80.

His brain is still in great condition. At 85 his body much less so. Very limited mobility - barely walks. Can still write and deal with correspondence, banking - not well though, hands aren't in great shape.

Based on my parents OK at 80. DF was still guiding fisherman at 85, DM was still golfing and sharp. Five years later her dementia took over, sad. They both had dementia so......

Like a tack. Just not sure if that applies to mental or physical.

OK, mentally, maybe a bit slower and forgetful, but still functional. Physically, I think I will still be able to ski and run/walk a marathon if injuries don't take me out, and I still want to. Even if I can only take a good daily walk I'll be happy enough.

My 68th is coming up pretty soon. So 80 is just around the corner. Both of my parents died by about my current age.

I cannot imagine myself in decline. Forget about all those rich and powerful and brilliant who succumbed to old age. I'm not going to do that!

So I guess I'll just have to keep on going and hope I stay sharp. I won't decline willingly that's for sure. I'll keep up with vigorous activity and problems that exercise my brain. :)

If I'm any dumber at 80 than I am now at 73+, I figure I'll be terminally bewildered.

I am still holding out hope that by the time I am 80, I will attain "sharpness"...
In the meantime, I'll just go on being the dull blade I've always been.

My dad was incredible though. Spoke a bunch of languages, could solve just about any puzzle you threw at him, at 88, right up until the body surrendered. He was amazing.
Me? I don't know about me. OK I guess. So far, dementia seems to have spared my genetic pool. But you just never know, do you?

Mom died in her late 60's, dad in his late 70's. So I don't have those data points. 3 of my 40 bio grandparents were dead by 75. But my grandmother on mom's side lived till almost 92. She was starting to get feeble and forgetful - enough that she couldn't live alone anymore and moved in with my sister. But definitely able to hold a conversation, remember names, walk without a walker, etc. I'm planning (financially) to follow in her footsteps. I have one aunt on my dad's side -

My husband's family has longevity... but also dementia. His mom turns 90 in November. She's in a memory unit. But she was doing pretty well until 4-5 years ago... and even after her cognitive decline, she was living independently (with regular visits and support) until last year. Her health is definitely starting to go... not the core functions like breathing, heart, swallowing... but she's hunched, frail, uses a walker.

Since no one on my side has had serious dementia - I'm assuming I'll be reasonably sharp. That's if I'm not dead of cancer first. (Mom, Dad, Brother - 5 different cancers between them.)

My husband will likely life till he's 100 - but mentally decline in his 80's. We've discussed and planned for this.

Hard to say. I am adopted. I searched for my biological mom for many years, but ultimately found her and have an ongoing relationship. She is about to turn 86 and is mentally sharp. Just based on her I feel pretty good about the future.

On the other hand, I was never able to find my biological father so have no clue on that side. So, that creates the most concern for me from heredity.

Health overall? Right now I'm in good health. My bio mother's parents both died in their 70s from different cancers, so that gives me some pause.

I have osteopenia and am close to qualifying for osteoporosis and my bio mother has osteoporosis (which hasn't actually caused her much problems). I would think that it is highly likely that I will have osteoporosis in the not too distance future.

If I get to 80 and I am mentally sharp and have osteoporosis (without having any fractures) as my main problem, I'll be happy with that.

How will you be when you are over 80. We will assume you make it to that point.
Nobody in my family has ever had the slightest mental decline by the end of their 80's. For example, my mother (born in 1909) got her first computer in her 80's and used it to keep track of her investments in Excel for many years, send us daily e-mails, and so on. None of my friends' moms were doing that back in the early 1990's so I thought that was pretty cool. She also became even wiser every year as she aged. As for my father, he died at 70 so I'll never know, but he showed no mental decline by then anyway.

As for myself, I have noticed that while details may not be quite as easy to retrieve as they once were, I feel I have a much better grasp of overall concepts, relationships of ideas, and what is significant vs what is not, than I had when I was younger.

Also how healthy will you be ?

Probably about average. I will fight that inevitable decline every step of the way but at some point each of us will be overcome.

Do not go gentle into that good night

Dylan Thomas, 1914 - 1953

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

How sharp do I think I'll be at 80?

I suspect I will have outlived my teeth, probably have a bypass surgery, a hip replacement, new knees, be fighting prostate cancer and diabetes, be half blind, can't hear anything quieter than a jet engine, take 40 different medications that make me dizzy, winded, and subject to blackouts, have poor circulation, bouts with dementia, be unable to remember if I'm 85 or 92.

Isn't that about average at 80? :2funny: :hide:
I'm pretty sure I will have new knees or else be confined to a wheelchair by age 80, and I am already fighting Type 2. Cataract surgery already helped the half blind issue last October and my second dental implant is currently underway. From the forum I already know that the best deal on hearing aids is at Costco, if I should ever need them. So hey, I've got a head start on all this. :LOL: Fight, fight, against the dying of the light and all that.

Nobody in my family has ever had the slightest mental decline by the end of their 80's. For example, my mother (born in 1909) got her first computer in her 80's and used it to keep track of her investments in Excel for many years, send us daily e-mails, and so on. None of my friends' moms were doing that back in the early 1990's so I thought that was pretty cool. She also became even wiser every year as she aged.
Your Mom was quite a roll model. Impressive.

Nice poetry too. Thanks.

Reactions: W2R
Hard to say, there has never been any dementia in either side of my family and most of my relatives lived into their 90s and remained lucid; had one great aunt that made it 104. I'll just have to wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom