How should I rate this company?

Was there a written contract? If not, there is your lesson on this one. When dealing with contractors...ALWAYS get it in writing.

I think the tree service screwed up by sending out too small of a truck to hold all the chips. That is not the OP's fault. When you bid a job, you also imply that you are prepared to come prepared to complete the whole job.

That's right, it's their responsibility to come prepared to complete the job they bid on and are being paid to do. If the truck is too small, then they simply take the time to make extra trips instead of leaving part of the job unfinished.

Also, it usually makes more sense to pay a contractor/trade for a job instead of by the hour.

Thankfully many people are courageous enough to give negative reviews when they are justified, preventing many others from also having a bad experience.

doing nothing is always an option; an option I use frequently according to DW :eek:

plus I believe that makes you a target for a potential lawsuit by the business owner?
I never do these reviews, unless I have an unqualified positive experience. Likewise, I pay very little attention to other reviewers.

These reviews can be extremely important to a business. Bad ones especially. Enough trouble finds me without me looking for it.

And I would not expect online reviews to be very accurate.

Ha

In OP's situation, I would have told them to leave the chips on the property beyond what their truck would hold.

After the fact, I'd probably ask to be comped an hour or two (12.5% or 25% off the bill) since they cut the day short. Maybe a little less since they probably priced a 12 hour day for $3,000. 2 hours travel time each way + 8 hours work time. Presumably their guys get paid at least straight time, possibly time and a half for anything over 8 hours.

If I didn't get anything off the price, I'd probably leave a decent review (4 out of 5 stars) and mention the part about paying for 8 hours but getting 7-ish hours. If they did good work, mention that too since that would be as important to me as a consumer of their services as much as the contractual/pricing part of obtaining services.

I had no intention of posting a review for a recent purchase, but I got an email from the manufacturer saying they would send me a gift if I posted one.

So I posted a "3 stars out of 5" review, wherein I said it was basically a well made product but had one major weakness that I considered significant.

Sure enough, they sent me the gift anyway and encouraged me to post additional reviews on other sites. I found that odd, but maybe they didn't bother to actually read my review.

I wasn't happy, since we had purchased an 8-hour day and there was plenty of work left to do. They said they could continue to trim, but would have to leave all the branches on our lot - something I did not want.

It seems like they were willing to continue the labor - but had a capacity issue with the chipper.

You declined their labor.

That's my take on it.

It seems like they were willing to continue the labor - but had a capacity issue with the chipper.

That's my take on it.

Good point... kinda missed that on my first reading....

That's my take on it.

Yes, there are several factors at play here - hours versus job, chipper capacity limits, expectations, etc. I think the situation is unique enough, and convoluted enough, that a good or bad review based on the hours worked would not help anyone else.

. The estimator was very clear that for the price charged, we should try to get all the trimming done we possibly could in 8 hours - there was no limit placed on number of trees and shrubs. The contract mentions the willow tree, which was not very big, and then "Prune and trim all over property."

So you agreed to have them "Prune and trim all over property"? That does not specifically say "and chip and haul away all chippings". So it does seem like you declined the extra trimming that was offered?

Let's just say - it's all pretty fuzzy? And we have not heard the contractor's side.

If for some reason the OP wants to do a review (I'm not sure why? Why not just skip it?), I'd just stick to the quality of the work, and avoid this whole "8 hours" issue.

-ERD50

That's my take on it.
Around here, the job is cut, chip, and take away. Most successful companies do all of that.

Let's just say - it's all pretty fuzzy? And we have not heard the contractor's side.

If for some reason the OP wants to do a review (I'm not sure why? Why not just skip it?), I'd just stick to the quality of the work, and avoid this whole "8 hours" issue.

-ERD50

Yep I agree.
contracting work is fuzzy, it is the nature of the beast.

It isn't like buying 3 pounds of ham and they gave you 2 1/2 pounds which is quantified and easily measured. You are dealing with nature and estimates, things get fuzzy and you should allow for the fuzziness in reviewing the work.

I wouldn't leave a review at all myself personally.

Another classic thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Update: The company gave me a 10% discount ($300) because the team shorted me on time and their own records proved it. There is a timer on the truck that showed they arrived at 0745 and left at 1500. Furthermore, they had not "declared" their lunch break, so apparently, lunch is not supposed to be on the customer's time, as I had assumed it was.

On the other hand, the time they spent repairing the rut THEY made was still part of the customer's time.

I also learned that the crew chief had lied, or at least dissembled, about not being able to come back later to pick up the branches they could not chip. Oh, that's not true! They could have come back the next day! He thought you meant you expected them to come back that evening!

For the high price they charged, this company expected too much of this particular customer. Yeah, buyer beware and all that...but it's a bit much if I have to caveat emptor their lunch policies and quibble over what the workers "meant" by what they "said." Not going back to this company, even if their main tree guy did remind us of Spider-Man while he was dangling in the big maple with his chainsaw.

And I'm so not serving home-made chocolate chip cookies and brewed coffee to the next crew...in fact, Mr. A.'s take was that the crew misinterpreted my kind gesture as the mark of a soft touch.

Amethyst

Update: The company gave me a 10% discount ($300) because the team shorted me on time and their own records proved it. Amethyst
Am glad you were able to get some type of reasonable correction to the price for the shorted service.
:)
I would work all day long if I was fed homemade chocolate chip cookies!
:dance:

Hey, I'm a classic! (A classic what? I can hear my Irish mother asking).

Another classic thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I'm still mulling it over. I think they get a B overall, like a good student who knows a lot, but who messes around too much in class. The grade might be less important to Angie's List members than capturing the logistical things that future customers need to be aware of before they buy.

I'm still mulling it over. I think they get a B overall, like a good student who knows a lot, but who messes around too much in class. The grade might be less important to Angie's List members than capturing the logistical things that future customers need to be aware of before they buy.
I agree. I try to make my ratings instructive for the next guy, rather than punitive to the company.........unless they really screwed me. :mad:

+1:angel:

Problems can always occur when services are rendered, but how a company resolves a customer complaint shows what kind of company they are. Maybe give them a chance to resolve the matter next time before rating them.

Spent career dealing with contractors, and if offered a deal for "8 hours work" I'd be unlikely to take it. These people are in the business, and the estimator should have had no problem doing an estimate from what you asked for and giving his best, firm price. My experience with contractors working on my property has been mixed and unless I had knowledge from others who knew their work, wouldn't want to be worried they'd be just taking their time for 8 hours. Not what OP's problem was (mainly) but I just don't trust a crew to come work hard on my behalf.

Last crew I had do tree work did a great job, and I enjoyed talking with them and watching their approach. If I had OP's arrangement I'd have been fretting they were taking their time, which they were (and I'll be honest, glad they did as it was all climb to the top and take it down piece by piece).

The older I get and more I look for people to do work I used to enjoy tackling, the more disappointed I am in finding responsive good contractors. Maybe I'll try AL.

I agree with H2ODude's attitude, in that I would have set up a contract to do specifically defined work rather than a set time period to do ill-defined work. A much better option (presuming you can get agreement with the contractor -- not always possible).

I also subscribe to Angie's List, but I've found it to be hit or miss, with a large degree of bias (companies can bias their listings in a number of ways). Still, it's a good starting point for further research.

In general, absent a well defined scope of work = time and materials pricing is typical.

With a well defined scope of work = fixed price is the way to go

Back
Top Bottom