How to get the most $ when leaving the co.?

Employers are taking steps to reduce health insurance costs by shifting more costs to the employees. Healthcare insurance companies are starting to offer low-cost (or "consumer-driven") insurance by raising the deductible (or out-of pocket) amount. It is plausible that the Government could provide socialized medicine at the expense of higher income tax if necessary. The likelihood of that from happening is remote since most people believe that they are already paying too much. The average cost of health insurance for an employer is about $6,700. Why not just raise the salary by that amount to obviate the need to provide health benefits for employees? This may bring insurance cost down since insurance companies must become competitive to attract buyers. One possible drawback is that people may opt out for insurance all together to save money.

The 'evil' government might do something along the lines of LA - show proof of insurance to renew your driver's license.

Heck - if they made it mandatory - even I might buy health insurance/or not. In the drivers case - you do a 'post bond procedure' if you can't stand insurance. I don't know the amount.

As Bob said, there is no medicaid for this woman. This is an example of the kind of mis-information that always seems to be floating around out there on healthcare. For goodness sake, can't we spend some of our country's wealth on basic healthcare for all? I am already paying high taxes, but would be willing to pay more for basic healthcare for all.

Sorry folks but I was trying to be sarcastic about her bad situation. I definitely think Nortel is in wrong and weaseled out of their responsibility which they proposed to have as a company policy!

I don't profess to know medicaid qualification but I am not sure why you would assume that she would not qualify for it. She could be living check to check supporting a family still
just making ends meet. Assuming she can begin collecting her pension soon after, it probably will be a lot less than what she was earning and could potentually qualify for medicaid (IMHO).

I also agree with you Martha that this country should provide
basic health coverage to all its citizens.

MJ :(

I am with Nortel, probably because I almost always prefer corporate interests over the government, or whining employees (Oh, poor me!).  Also, I never worked for a big corp. in my life.  Spent the whole time in small business or very small business.  I do agree that "a complete lack of ethical standards leads to chaos".  Ethical standards are pretty much gone everywhere and chaos will result eventually.  There was a time when duels were fought over nothing more than someone's honor.
Anyway..................I have great sympathy for the Enrons, Tycos and Martha Stewarts of this world.  They played the same game as uncounted others and were
singled out for retribution.  These examples are not even the tip of the tip of an enourmous iceberg.JG

WTF!?!  In the same breath you agree that a lack of ethical standards leads to chaos yet side with companies who, unless I'm out to lunch, have been proven to be run by crooks?  Help me out here, I'm confused.  I don't consider myself a liberal by any means, but if someone is misleading their employees, or employer for that matter, then by all means make an example of them...

I have no time for blatant dishonestly.  I don't expect everyone to be altruistic and look out for me, but I have to the right to be given a fair shake, and if I get hosed, then I want them to suffer dearly...

I don't profess to know medicaid qualification but I am not sure why you would assume that she would not qualify for it. She could be living check to check supporting a family still
just making ends meet. Assuming she can begin collecting her pension soon after, it probably will be a lot less than what she was earning and could potentually qualify for medicaid (IMHO).
MJ :(

She is only 52 and not eligible for medicare (or any other governmental healthcare benefits). She is still looking for another IT job in the Bay Area while working part time for $15 per hour.

I'm also trying to maximize what I can get. There will definatly be no severance or ER pay. Bonuses and raises come out in April along with vacation credits. I am waiting till the bonus and vacation is credited and then I'm leaving. My actual plan is to work till May 25. 131 more days.

I don't profess to know medicaid qualification but I am not sure why you would assume that she would not qualify for it. She could be living check to check supporting a family still just making ends meet. Assuming she can begin collecting her pension soon after, it probably will be a lot less than what she was earning and could potentually qualify for medicaid (IMHO).
MJ, in my previous life I worked with people who were down and out. Employable middle-aged people are completely on their own. I knew many folks who had zero income, few prospects for work, no skills, no home, negative net worth, disabilities, and no family support system. Even these people did not qualify for Medicaid. Spanky's friend isn't even close. She could fall much, much further and still not qualify for Medicaid. I think most people believe there's more help available than there really is.

Thanks B_S.
Like I said, I am not familiar enough with medicaid requirements and my personal common sense was guiding my position. I guess common sense doesn't work here.

MJ :-/

I was wondering if anyone has any information or an opinion on the following scenario.
If one was to give a 4 week notice and the company decides (foolishly) to let you go prior to the end of the notice and not pay you for the remaining time, would you qualify for unemployment insurance benefits even though you gave notice?

MJ :confused:

.....would you qualify for unemployment insurance benefits even though you gave notice?
Eligibility differs from state to state. In general, those who voluntarily leave their place of employment are not qualified for unemployment insurance. There are always exceptions.

Spanky

I was wondering if anyone has any information or an opinion on the following scenario.
If one was to give a 4 week notice and the company decides (foolishly) to let you go prior to the end of the notice and not pay you for the remaining time, would you qualify for unemployment insurance benefits even though you gave notice?
In general, those who voluntarily leave their place of employment are not qualified for unemployment insurance. There are always exceptions.
Spanky,
Just to clarify, if they fire an employee prior to the final notice date without compensation for the outstanding days, hasn't the company negated the notice, and if that is the case, shouldn't this entitle the employee to unemployment benefits?

Here are 2 real life umemployment comp. stories.

In 1998, my part time consulting gig in Texas ended.
The company offered me my old job back, but at full
time. I had already moved back to Illinois, which I
now see may have been a mistake, but I digress.......
I turned down their offer and filed for unemployment
here in Illinois. The company contested, but I explained
that although work was available to me, they had changed the job/conditions on me, and plus I was
living out of state due to the part time nature of my employment up until my contract ended. I prevailed.

The General Manager in my small manufacturing company (65 years old) was injured on the job. He collected worker's compensation for over a year, during
which time he had to "prove" he couldn't work. Within
a week after receiving a lump sum settlement, he found a doctor who pronounced him fit to work and filed for
unemployment on the basis he was ready and available.
I protested and was told I could do nothing. That was
just the way the system worked.

JG

MJ,

I am not an unemployment expert. What I understand is that a person who has been laid off from their jobs through no fault of their own is eligible. Those who have been fired or those who quit for good cause may also qualify. The state will evaluate in this case.

Thanks again Spanky,

MJ (Alfalfa) ::)

So far the best idea for me seems to be quitting, taking a short-term freelance project, and then filing for unemployment when the project ends.

If I could get myself laid off I would get a great severance package, but unfortunately with the booming economy we're in a "desperation-hiring" mode this year...

C-T - actually your MN is one of our strongest areas right now - my current project is near St. Paul. WI is also very strong. I enjoy reading your Pioneer Press when I get a chance and the local economic news all sounds pretty good to me. Oh, and I like that guy there who is pushing for broadband internet as an entitlement!

I certainly would not call our local econony booming right now. Far from it. Maybe it is good for your line of business. Which is what?

We are creating plenty of jobs right now. Most of them pay about $8 a hour though.

Apparently, CC is a contract worker . That is, CC does not report directly to the company having the project (or work). If that's the case, there are still plenty of openings for contract works (i.e., hardware, software development, mechanical design) in so called "high tech" companies in the twin cities, e.g., Medtronic, Guidant, Boston Scientific, Lockheed Martin, General Dynamic, Honeywell, Seagate and ADC Telecom.

However, I would not call it a booming job market. Direct positions are still very tight.

Spanky

Back
Top Bottom