How to own a handgun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
(get some ear protection)

+1 on that, and don't skimp on it. The range will probably (and should) require that and eye protection as well.

After decades of qualifying at least annually for work I have what the audiologist called a "notch" of hearing loss consistent with being exposed to gunfire. She didn't say that was the cause but did say it was characteristic of it.

I did always wear hearing protection but I guess it wasn't enough.

Last edited:
all my handguns except for the .357 revolver are 9mm because cheap ammo

Funny.. 9mm is one of the ones I do not have.. I have for handguns .380, .38, .357, 10mm and .45. For rifles .22, .223, .308

But, to the OP, get the training first, talk to you instructor and let them know what you plan on doing with the gun and when/where you will be using it, that info will determine what is best to get. A great gun is no good if it is big and uncomfortable and you never take it out of the safe (you are planning on a safe right?)

Not to mention lead dust.

I've had some pretty high lead numbers, doc wanted to know if I'd been eating it. Based on the research and what brought my numbers down, shooting indoors had little to do with it.

What did make it go down was after range routines such as a shower and change of all clothes after shooting. I'd suggest doing those for shooting indoors or outdoors.

The biggest contributions seemed to be from my reloading of the empty brass. Tumbling the brass indoors and the multiple touching of the brass while reloading seemed to be a big contributor. I'm careful not to eat or drink while reloading as that's a huge contributor.

OP, have fun. You have a good plan. I'd recommend a decent semiautomatic pistol, revolvers are not as much fun to me anyway. Someone mentioned a Springfield XD, nice pistol, I use my subcompact 9 for CCW. For plain old fun it's hard to beat a Ruger Mark II. Accurate, easy to shoot and if you can find 22 ammo it's cheaper than a 9. Favorite, would be a classic 1911, but you can spend some serious money on that addiction. For fun look at Wilson Combat.

Just replying so I'll be alerted to other replies. This is something I am considering as well.
To subscribe to a thread without having to post in it, just look to the top of the thread, to the drop-down menu labeled "Thread Tools". Under that drop-down menu, you'll find an option to subscribe.

PS - Once you have posted in a thread, that option changes to "Unsubscribe from this thread".

Funny.. 9mm is one of the ones I do not have.. I have for handguns .380, .38, .357, 10mm and .45. For rifles .22, .223, .308

But, to the OP, get the training first, talk to you instructor and let them know what you plan on doing with the gun and when/where you will be using it, that info will determine what is best to get. A great gun is no good if it is big and uncomfortable and you never take it out of the safe (you are planning on a safe right?)

I don't have a safe - otherwise I'd have to have a safe in every room :eek:

Favorite, would be a classic 1911, but you can spend some serious money on that addiction.

You got that right. Not exactly what I would term a classic 1911, but this was my competition gun:

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    988.9 KB · Views: 17
I hesitate to make this post, as it does not answer the OP's question; but it sort of fits, and doesn't merit its own thread.

I always wonder how much training and practice the people have had, who manage to shoot a home intruder in the middle of the night. (Something I would have absolutely no remorse about doing).

I would first have to fumble my glasses onto my face. Then uncramp my osteoarthritic hands enough to handle the gun without shooting myself or someone I care about. And be able to aim in the dark. All while being scared and furious at the same time.

How the heck do they do it??

I hesitate to make this post, as it does not answer the OP's question; but it sort of fits, and doesn't merit its own thread.

I always wonder how much training and practice the people have had, who manage to shoot a home intruder in the middle of the night. (Something I would have absolutely no remorse about doing).

I would first have to fumble my glasses onto my face. Then uncramp my osteoarthritic hands enough to handle the gun without shooting myself or someone I care about. And be able to aim in the dark. All while being scared and furious at the same time.

Training helps. Also, a good idea to know the laws in your state. Some insurance to defend yourself in court is also a good idea as you could get sued.

They often have a narrow field of view like through a doorway or down a hall to shoot, pretty hard to miss anything. Also they empty the gun as they are in panic mode, who wouldn't be ?

Watch: Woman shoots dead armed intruder in Georgia, US

After I got my bear spray for hiking, I realized that it was also a great home defense item, easy to spray, no aiming required, no wind to blow it back at me, and I can flood the hallway with it. But I doubt it would have worked against 3 armed criminals.

Depends on how drugged or stupid the intruders are, I suspect. I hope I never find out personally, but I keep a pair of glasses and a small flashlight next to the "grab it fast" option. I hunt enough that a lot of it would be muscle memory.

Another minor point:

Most newbies make the assumption that a small gun will be more user-friendly, but in fact the smaller the gun the greater the recoil (hurts your hand when you fire it). Larger guns are easier on your hand and wrist because the greater mass of the gun absorbs the recoil better. You'll always have that tradeoff between smaller (easier to carry but hurts) and bigger (harder to carry but easier on your hand). There are compromises, but you have to try out a lot of samples as others here have said.

We both did CCW training, it's good to understand the laws.

We were shooting a combined 300 rounds weekly. After 6 months we took a two day tactical training class(600 rounds apiece). After the 2 days our confidence soared. Like someone else said it's practice and repeat, expecially under the obvious stress of a home invasion.

Definitely an understanding of the laws is critical. Then it's time to become very diligent with continuous training.

Depends on what you really want a gun for. Home defense? Hunting? Target Shooting? Concealed or open carry? Other? All of the above?

First talk to a reputable gun shop owner about your areas of interest. Also ask for and get some training. Often, state licensed concealed handgun instructors will offer individual training and advice (for a small fee). One or two sessions should get you well on your way. Buy and wear hearing and eye protection when practicing and do so in a safe area and manner. (e.g. supervised gun range is a good start) If you are going to own a handgun, considering taking a CHL or right to carry course even if you don't plan to carry. (Good education on state and federal laws - at least it is in my state)

For home defense and/or concealed or open carry, you'll find most shooters have an opinion on what's best. (Some have several opinions :facepalm:) Some people are intimidated by semi auto's and will opt for a revolver. IMO, if you are going to be an infrequent shooter, then a revolver may be a better choice. Also, don't buy a cheap (poor quality) gun for any reason. Guns are dangerous, poor quality guns are worse.

Without knowing more about why you want a handgun, it's hard to make any recommendations or give advice on makes, models and calibers. PM me if you what to share more about your needs and interest and I can probably advise.

I shoot a lot (have two ranges on my property). But my basic home defense and carry gun of choice is a Ruger SP101 357mag.

Last edited:
Yeah, go burn some powder and have fun!

I love the shooting sports, rifle, pistol, sporting clays, skeet & trap.

Another hobby I will re-visit in my retirement - :)

Ditto here! Go out and have fun shooting. Forget the rang. Have a friend or relative who owns and shoots fire arms take you out in the country, at the farm or where ever and set up a variety of targets at different ranges and have some fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Ditto here! Go out and have fun shooting. Forget the rang. Have a friend or relative who owns and shoots fire arms take you out in the country, at the farm or where ever and set up a variety of targets at different ranges and have some fun!

Good advice, except the forget the range part, which is bad advice. I've got a couple of friends with bullet scars from learning from friends and relatives (although beer was also involved). Once you know what you are doing going out and having fun blowing up cans or whatever is fine. But learn safety and proper use first.

Please make sure you get yourself quality hearing protection as well as eye protection. And remember the 4 rules of gun safety:

• Every Gun Is Always Loaded
• Never Point the Gun at Anything You Are Not Prepared To Destroy
• Always Be Sure Of Your Target and What Is Behind It
• Keep Your Finger Off The Trigger Until You are Ready to Shoot

+2

I think adrenaline would help with the hands. I wear contacts and glasses are not an option. What I've done to alleviate it, is to practice sighting with both eyes. That way, I can use the better uncorrected eye, knowing if it has a tendency to shoot left or right. Also, you're likely talking distances of 5 yards or less in a house, not a target 15-25 yards out. I've also practiced shooting one handed because your other hand might be occupied.

The biggest contributions seemed to be from my reloading of the empty brass. Tumbling the brass indoors and the multiple touching of the brass while reloading seemed to be a big contributor.

Big plus +1! Years ago when I started reloading my doc actually told my to do my tumbling in a vented area and wash thoroughly after. Getting lead into your mouth and lungs is not good.

Several people I shot with had to wear masks when shooting to help with lead levels, all were reloaders.

I got rid of all my reloading equipment when I reduced my shooting, starting to get back into it and may have to pick reloading up again. Though now I am doing more rifle shooting and fighting with a cross-dominant eye issue that was a lot easier to deal with when shooting a pistol.

If you like research, Chuck Hawks has built a comprehensive blog about firearms and nearly a third of his "library" is free to the public without signing in. Trying a variety of pistols in your own hands is best, but reading can pique your interest in a caliber or maker that may not be available at the nearest gun store. I also find value in disinterested advice rather than from a salesman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom