Join Early Retirement Today

How To Thank Veterans For Their Service
Old 11-11-2017, 07:23 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How To Thank Veterans For Their Service

I think about the sacrifice our service members make on our behalf many times during the year, but this is the day officially designated to say thanks. I am truly grateful for all the men and women who have served, my life wouldn’t be possible without their service.

How To Thank Veterans For Their Military Service

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2017, 07:50 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I appreciate the sentiment, Midpack. And I’d like to thank you for your support and tax dollars which paid for my education, training, and salary.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:53 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Very nice sentiments expressed in that. Thanks for thinking of it.

I'm one of those who feel a bit awkward when I hear the thanks. In my family it was simply normal. Dad was severely wounded in Italy during WW II. Mom was a WAC and both her brothers were in the Navy in WW II. I somehow made it through Vietnam relatively unscathed. Those were very different times, though. Only about 7% of all living Americans have ever served in the military, and that percentage is steadily decreasing.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:21 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

One of the best uses for tax dollars that Congress ever came up with. I know a number of smart veterans, from poor families that could never have afforded to send them to college. Because of the GI bill (and their own smarts of course) they have had good careers and are in high-paying contractor jobs or happily retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post
I appreciate the sentiment, Midpack. And I’d like to thank you for your support and tax dollars which paid for my education, training, and salary.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:25 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I think about the sacrifice our service members make on our behalf many times during the year, but this is the day officially designated to say thanks. I am truly grateful for all the men and women who have served, my life wouldn’t be possible without their service.

How To Thank Veterans For Their Military Service
+infinity
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:31 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks Midpack.

Like braumeister, I can also have an awkward moment when folks express their gratitude. However, I do my best to respond that my long army career was a high honor. Because, it was indeed.

To all veterans here (and to those who support you as well), enjoy today. It belongs to you.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:40 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Thanks Midpack.

Like braumeister, I can also have an awkward moment when folks express their gratitude. However, I do my best to respond that my long army career was a high honor. Because, it was indeed.

To all veterans here (and to those who support you as well), enjoy today. It belongs to you.
It was indeed an honor to serve. When I look back at all the things I've done in my life, I am most proud of the things I did in the Navy.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:51 AM   #8

Hopefully, one day this will become a moot point when we have mandatory national service (military or non-military) and everyone serves.

Until then, I’d quote one of the Vets in the article, “Don’t say something, do something” to show your thanks.

100% x 10% > 10% x 100%
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:31 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
One of the best uses for tax dollars that Congress ever came up with. I know a number of smart veterans, from poor families that could never have afforded to send them to college. Because of the GI bill (and their own smarts of course) they have had good careers and are in high-paying contractor jobs or happily retired.
+1

I've know a bunch of folks who benefited from the formal and informal education.

I had the privilge of a former Marine being my mentor. Wow, what a guy! He gives the Marines credit for saving his life. He'd had a rough childhood and ran with the wrong crowd.

He's enriched my life with some of the discipline he'd been taught. The guy represents leadership and never saying I can't! I'd never been exposed to anyone who had that much confidence before. For me it was life changing.

I benefited directly from his experience.

Thank you for service.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:02 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Some of the everyday sacrifices made by members of the military and their families may not be fully understood for those who never served or had a family member serve.

I am in awe of those who risked life and limb in combat to uphold their sworn oath to defend the constitution.

Any of the benefits citizens give the servicemen helps to make up some for the low pay, long deployments, incredibly long work weeks and very real personal risks.

Most vets like the brief but sincere 'thank you for your service.'
atmsmshr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:04 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Yay GI bill! Without it DH would not have been able to get a college degree as his parents were pretty much broke after a divorce. His four years served were a great international education for a young man as well as making it possible for him to go to college.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

+1, very happy to have our tax dollars support our military including veterans.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
It was indeed an honor to serve. When I look back at all the things I've done in my life, I am most proud of the things I did in the Navy.
+1 (except USAF ). A tremendous chance to work with great people and do something worthwhile.

I always thought my wife and child made larger sacrifices than I did. I think it strange when people, usually upon retirement, thank their spouse for making their military career possible. Frankly, I could have been just as successful in my career without a spouse--better availability, able to take any assignment, etc. IMO, the average military spouse doesn't make a servicemember's career a possibility, they do something far more noble and important: They make it possible for the servicemember to have a family under some very "non-optimum" conditions. Hats/covers/helmets off to them.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:37 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post

I always thought my wife and child made larger sacrifices than I did.

IMO, the average military spouse doesn't make a servicemember's career a possibility, they do something far more noble and important: They make it possible for the servicemember to have a family under some very "non-optimum" conditions. Hats/covers/helmets off to them.
+1

I was TDY ("gone") for a cumulative three years of the eight I spent in the military. Far harder on my wife and kids than on me.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:43 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

When people say "thanks for your service" to me, I either say "it was an honor to simply have served," or I just reply "you're welcome."

The Navy took pretty good care of me and my family, and continues to do so, even in retirement.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:48 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for posting, Midpack. And thanks to all veterans for their sacrifice and commitment to our country. We went to a Veterans Day service this morning. I thanked the Marine Corps veteran seated next to me. It wasn't awkward for either of us.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:04 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
When people say "thanks for your service" to me, I either say "it was an honor to simply have served," or I just reply "you're welcome."
I also like "Thanks for your support" as a good comeback line.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:24 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

When someone years ago thanked me for my 20+ years of army service I was unsure how to handle it since no one had ever thanked me for doing my job.

When I came back from spending 12 months as an infantry officer in Vietnam no one thanked me. Most folks in the 70's would just look the other way so they would not have to acknowledge your gaze. Others spit on me and called me names like baby killer.

I am glad that the current crop of servicemen do not have to be exposed to that nonsense. After all, we were all just doing what the American people sent us to do.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
When someone years ago thanked me for my 20+ years of army service I was unsure how to handle it since no one had ever thanked me for doing my job.

When I came back from spending 12 months as an infantry officer in Vietnam no one thanked me. Most folks in the 70's would just look the other way so they would not have to acknowledge your gaze. Others spit on me and called me names like baby killer.
9/11 changed everything in terms of attitudes toward veterans and emergency first responders.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post

I am glad that the current crop of servicemen do not have to be exposed to that nonsense. After all, we were all just doing what the American people sent us to do.

+9,999,999
I didn’t serve in Vietnam, but still felt some discomfort wearing a uniform in public in the early 80s when I joined up. Fortunately it began to change for the better as my career progressed.
My hope is people will be truly informed and not just listen to political partisan gibberish. So few are truly informed on the state of the world and make decisions on soundbite media or peer pressure from friends, or in many cases a single issue is their deciding factor in voting. Please take the time to evaluate issues at all levels of government before going to the ballot box. That’s what we served for.

Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote