Huh?

Since the question stated "number" as opposed to "numbers", this implies that only one number could not belong in this set of numbers. My guess would be 111, since all other numbers in the sequence are either even (111 does not belong) or prime (111 does not belong).

mickeyd said:
Which number does not belong in this sequece? (Stolen from Parade mag)

One hundred eleven quadrillion and change? Where are the other numbers? :D

cube_rat said:
Since the question stated "number" as opposed to "numbers", this implies that only one number could not belong in this set of numbers. My guess would be 111, since all other numbers in the sequence are either even (111 does not belong) or prime (111 does not belong).

maybe i don't understand what you wrote but aren't only the 2's 4's & 6's even and none of them are prime?

cube_rat said:

Cube - You may be on to something, but might have misstated. Maybe 111 is Prime and the others not?

Even numbers are always not Prime

Cut-Throat said:
Cube - You may be on to something, but might have misstated. Maybe 111 is Prime and the others not?

Even numbers are always not Prime

how is it that you people are better at finance than me? 111 is not a prime number. ie 37 x 3 = 111 not just 1 x 111 = 111

lazygood4nothinbum said:
how is it that you people are better at finance than me. 111 is not a prime number. ie 37 x 3 = 111 not just 1 x 111 = 111

Very Good! - I didn't check, but you are correct 111 is not a prime number. - I don't have a Prime Number Calculator in my Brain! :)

So, that's not it!

I may be full of it, but my rationale was 111 plus 222 equals 333, 222 plus 333 equals 555, 555 plus 111 equals 666. And 444 doesn't fit.

Martha said:
I may be full of it, but my rationale was 111 plus 222 equals 333, 222 plus 333 equals 555, 555 plus 111 equals 666. And 444 doesn't fit.

interesting martha. the golden ratio goes 1 plus 2 is 3. 3 plus 2 is 5. (i was working on a linear 5 plus 3 is 8 ) but then you went out of the box to close the circle back from 5 to 1 which gives 6. it's a curious twist, so far my money's on martha.

Cut-Throat said:
Very Good! - I didn't check, but you are correct 111 is not a prime number. - I don't have a Prime Number Calculator in my Brain! :)

So, that's not it!

sorry, but that was an old school trick. any number that can be added to three (or a multiple of three) can be divided by three.

lazygood4nothinbum said:
interesting martha. the golden ratio goes 1 plus 2 is 3. 3 plus 2 is 5. (i was working on a linear 5 plus 3 is 8 ) but then you went out of the box to close the circle back from 5 to 1 which gives 6. it's a curious twist, so far my money's on martha.

I wonder about me circling back around again to the one, so that is why I said I might be full of it.

Martha said:

Not sure I follow you here - 111 plus 333 equals 444 - how is that different?

My guess is 666. All of the others can be times on a digital clock. 1:11, etc.

no martha. even if it is full of it i think we can still argue the point and win in court.

the difference is that the key is to find a sequence. what martha sees is a sequence which starts off linearly , the original 111 is understood so it goes 111 plus 111 is 222. 111 plus 222 is 333. 333 plus 222 is 555. so we have the 1,2,3 & 5 of the sequence. it's sort of a lather, rinse, repeat of the golden ratio. only to get back to lathering, you have your 555 and you go back to 111 which gives you 666. and all that gets the 444 out of your hair.

I decided I am wrong. It was the first thought that came to mind. But really, under my theory the 333 should have been added to the 555, so it didn't work.

I like wab's idea though.

Cut-Throat said:

So, that's not it!

If the digits add up to 3 or 6 or 9, the number is a multiple of three.
If the digits add up to 9, the number is a multiple of 9.
Any number ending in 5 is a multiple of 5.
(integers)

34577091 => 36 => 9 - divisible by 9.

i'm still letting my money ride on martha's idea.

it is an ever widening looping or spiral golden ratio. think nautilus.

Attachments

• nautilus-4web.jpg
    nautilus-4web.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 6
  • nautilus-4web.jpg_thumb
    35.4 KB · Views: 0
wab said:
My guess is 666. All of the others can be times on a digital clock. 1:11, etc.

Well, yes you could also say that Base 5 does not have any numbers like 666.

Yeah, but these kinds of puzzles usually have nothing to do with math or the numbers. They are think-out-of-the-box tests. Personally, I think my answer is dumb, but sometimes dumb works. :)

i think your answer was completely commensurate with parade magazine and you might be right. no offense or judgment intended but it was martha who was out of the box. though apparently she's gone back in her box.

My money goes 111.

Add the individual numbers by themselves, 1+1+1=3, a prime number. All the others add to non prime numbers.

Back
Top Bottom