Hurricane Irma

And I now told him out by Wednesday....
So what does he think about your armchair quarterbacking ..I think you're probably adding to his stress level.

Just spoke to my sister who is north of Sarasota. "Shelves are empty already..gas is already out.. I have a stress headache." I think people are scared to death after Houston. She said they took some cash out and are prepared to run for it.

I hope Moemg and her SO will not be harmed, and that her home is not damaged either. From what she has said on the forum, I think she lives somewhere near that area too. :(

So many of our members live in various parts of Florida. I hardly know what to say, but my heart goes out to all of you. I sure hope for the best possible outcome for everyone.

I think he's off the hook. Reported in the WaPo:
Officials in Monroe County — home of the Florida Keys, a popular tourist destination — said Tuesday they had issued a mandatory evacuation for tourists beginning on Wednesday morning at 7 a.m. A mandatory evacuation for residents was also issued for Wednesday evening at 7 p.m

Hear, hear!! - All you real estate barons on this board:

Real estate prices in Florida will be getting much cheaper later this year. Get your cash ready!! :cool:

I had been holding out hope that our trip to the Bahamas this weekend was still doable. Clearly 150km/hr wind gusts on Friday would make for a very exciting beach wedding vow renewal, but not one I'm up for. Delta finally added Nassau to the list of places they won't charge fees to change flights.

Just got a phone call from my condo watch lady who lives year-round in my condo community (between Naples and Ft. Myers, FL). She and her hubby are leaving for Valdosta, GA on Wed morning. She said the roads are already getting crowded with folks heading northward.

omni

We're sailing out of FLL for an Eastern Caribbean itinerary in a week and a half. Irma will be gone by then but our ports of call are currently Nassau, San Juan, and Philipsburg. Irma sure looks like it's going to just pummel San Juan and Philipsburg. I feel really bad for them because there's no where to go except to hunker down. Whereas, I suspect my cruise will just end up doing a Western itinerary as these place will be cleaning up for a while.

Good news, the San Juan PR Spanish fort will survive, so there will still be an attraction to visit. :cool:

I had no trouble filling up the car with gas this morning in Sarasota. Price $2.60/gal - no gouging yet.

For the first time ever I tried to do some hurricane shopping this afternoon. I went to Target and Publix. Both places were out of water (more coming, they both said). No 'D' batteries at Target; I picked up the last package at Publix. Plenty of nutritionally-deficient empty calories still available to keep the body fueled, but potable water is more important.

The local cat shelter is making plans to move 150 kitties to Jacksonville. Can I squeeze into a cat carrier and hitch a ride? :confused:

So what does he think about your armchair quarterbacking ..I think you're probably adding to his stress level.

Mandatory evacuation by Wednesday night; don't know what he thinks because he hasn't responded to me or my sisters phone calls to him.

Mandatory evacuation by Wednesday night; don't know what he thinks because he hasn't responded to me or my sisters phone calls to him.

Great minds think alike..I'm guessing he's pretty busy today.

We're packed and ready to leave in the morning, heading from the Tampa area to Atlanta for several days. Probably conservative, but I don't want to be anywhere near 145 mph winds. And if we wait too long, there will be no gas, no hotels, and a parking lot on I-75.

We had concerned calls from my parents and our daughter today, and they were happy we were leaving. We are also taking MIL who's got dementia and in assisted living. Should be a challenge.

We are also taking MIL who's got dementia and in assisted living. Should be a challenge.

Try moving 150 cats who don't want to be moved. :LOL:

P.S. Leaving is a good idea. By the time I have reliable information whether I should go, it will too late to do anything. :facepalm:

Last edited:
..... I went to Target and Publix. Both places were out of water (more coming, they both said). No 'D' batteries at Target; I picked up the last package at Publix. Plenty of nutritionally-deficient empty calories still available to keep the body fueled, but potable water is more important.

If you don't already have empty water containers, how about going to the camping section of Walmart and buying a water jug and then filling that from your tap ?

We're packed and ready to leave in the morning, heading from the Tampa area to Atlanta for several days. Probably conservative, but I don't want to be anywhere near 145 mph winds. And if we wait too long, there will be no gas, no hotels, and a parking lot on I-75.

We had concerned calls from my parents and our daughter today, and they were happy we were leaving. We are also taking MIL who's got dementia and in assisted living. Should be a challenge.

I don't think that's overly conservative, at all! This is a monster storm. Good luck with MIL.

Try moving 150 cats who don't want to be moved. :LOL:

P.S. Leaving is a good idea. By the time I have reliable information whether I should go, it will too late to do anything. :facepalm:

Haha, I honestly would have to give some thoughts on moving 150 cats vs. MIL :)

The cone of uncertainty and hurricane predictions are getting better for "reliable information". It's still an individual trade-off, but ER allows us to have the time and money to be able to make a better decision.

You might want to check the vegan section:

21271112_896256173865343_2620746503201699002_n.jpg

:D

there's a reason for that.

In all seriousness. Prayers to all that are in it's path and friends from Florida, please don't be "heroic", be safe and leave if you have to.

I had no trouble filling up the car with gas this morning in Sarasota. Price $2.60/gal - no gouging yet.

For the first time ever I tried to do some hurricane shopping this afternoon. I went to Target and Publix. Both places were out of water (more coming, they both said). No 'D' batteries at Target; I picked up the last package at Publix. Plenty of nutritionally-deficient empty calories still available to keep the body fueled, but potable water is more important.

The local cat shelter is making plans to move 150 kitties to Jacksonville. Can I squeeze into a cat carrier and hitch a ride? :confused:

I'm in Jacksonville and the panic is already setting in. We are more than likely quite safe until Sunday night into Monday. Long lines at gas stations already and some reporting running out of gas. Irma was reporting to have turned east late last night. Hopefully she will continue to turn east right back out into the Atlantic (I know, wishful thinking). Still no concrete plans for me and my family. We'll know more in the next 48 hours.

Mike

I'm in Jacksonville and the panic is already setting in.

Based on the Wednesday morning predicted storm track, I'd rather be in Sarasota than Jacksonville. Irma is sufficiently powerful that even if it goes up the east coast it will cause lots of thrashing around here on the west coast. It's still early - the experts might change their minds (again).

On the positive side, no one is predicting that the storm is going to stall out and hang around for days dumping huge amounts of rain.

Back
Top Bottom