Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2017, 02:45 PM   #81
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 6,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Thanks, but.....
I recall Senator is already adding to his portfolio with a rental in Florida.
__________________

__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2017, 02:47 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 441
I had been holding out hope that our trip to the Bahamas this weekend was still doable. Clearly 150km/hr wind gusts on Friday would make for a very exciting beach wedding vow renewal, but not one I'm up for. Delta finally added Nassau to the list of places they won't charge fees to change flights.
__________________

__________________
karen1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:49 PM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,851
Just got a phone call from my condo watch lady who lives year-round in my condo community (between Naples and Ft. Myers, FL). She and her hubby are leaving for Valdosta, GA on Wed morning. She said the roads are already getting crowded with folks heading northward.

omni
__________________
omni550 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:57 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by YVRRocketSurgery View Post
We're sailing out of FLL for an Eastern Caribbean itinerary in a week and a half. Irma will be gone by then but our ports of call are currently Nassau, San Juan, and Philipsburg. Irma sure looks like it's going to just pummel San Juan and Philipsburg. I feel really bad for them because there's no where to go except to hunker down. Whereas, I suspect my cruise will just end up doing a Western itinerary as these place will be cleaning up for a while.
Good news, the San Juan PR Spanish fort will survive, so there will still be an attraction to visit.
__________________
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:49 PM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 782
I had no trouble filling up the car with gas this morning in Sarasota. Price $2.60/gal - no gouging yet.

For the first time ever I tried to do some hurricane shopping this afternoon. I went to Target and Publix. Both places were out of water (more coming, they both said). No 'D' batteries at Target; I picked up the last package at Publix. Plenty of nutritionally-deficient empty calories still available to keep the body fueled, but potable water is more important.

The local cat shelter is making plans to move 150 kitties to Jacksonville. Can I squeeze into a cat carrier and hitch a ride?
__________________
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Hurricane Irma
Old 09-05-2017, 03:55 PM   #86
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 941
Hurricane Irma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
So what does he think about your armchair quarterbacking ..I think you're probably adding to his stress level.

Mandatory evacuation by Wednesday night; don't know what he thinks because he hasn't responded to me or my sisters phone calls to him.
__________________
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:03 PM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ivinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
Mandatory evacuation by Wednesday night; don't know what he thinks because he hasn't responded to me or my sisters phone calls to him.
Great minds think alike..I'm guessing he's pretty busy today.
__________________
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:02 PM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 627
We're packed and ready to leave in the morning, heading from the Tampa area to Atlanta for several days. Probably conservative, but I don't want to be anywhere near 145 mph winds. And if we wait too long, there will be no gas, no hotels, and a parking lot on I-75.

We had concerned calls from my parents and our daughter today, and they were happy we were leaving. We are also taking MIL who's got dementia and in assisted living. Should be a challenge.
__________________
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:51 PM   #89
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
We are also taking MIL who's got dementia and in assisted living. Should be a challenge.
Try moving 150 cats who don't want to be moved.

P.S. Leaving is a good idea. By the time I have reliable information whether I should go, it will too late to do anything.
__________________
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:01 PM   #90
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,297
Keep safe!
__________________
splitwdw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:20 PM   #91
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,669
Is it hype or the real deal? https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...d-speed-record Worst hurricane ever?!
__________________
Retired October 2008, Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life.
Blue Collar Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:36 PM   #92
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 6,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Is it hype or the real deal? https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...d-speed-record Worst hurricane ever?!
I don't know about that, but I do know hurricanes. (Ike, Rita, Harvey).

(Maybe we should move back to Connecticut?) LOL
__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:19 PM   #93
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
..... I went to Target and Publix. Both places were out of water (more coming, they both said). No 'D' batteries at Target; I picked up the last package at Publix. Plenty of nutritionally-deficient empty calories still available to keep the body fueled, but potable water is more important.
If you don't already have empty water containers, how about going to the camping section of Walmart and buying a water jug and then filling that from your tap ?
__________________
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:25 PM   #94
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
We're packed and ready to leave in the morning, heading from the Tampa area to Atlanta for several days. Probably conservative, but I don't want to be anywhere near 145 mph winds. And if we wait too long, there will be no gas, no hotels, and a parking lot on I-75.

We had concerned calls from my parents and our daughter today, and they were happy we were leaving. We are also taking MIL who's got dementia and in assisted living. Should be a challenge.
I don't think that's overly conservative, at all! This is a monster storm. Good luck with MIL.
__________________
Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself; do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.

― B. Lee








W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:33 AM   #95
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
Try moving 150 cats who don't want to be moved.

P.S. Leaving is a good idea. By the time I have reliable information whether I should go, it will too late to do anything.
Haha, I honestly would have to give some thoughts on moving 150 cats vs. MIL

The cone of uncertainty and hurricane predictions are getting better for "reliable information". It's still an individual trade-off, but ER allows us to have the time and money to be able to make a better decision.
__________________
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:35 AM   #96
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Is it hype or the real deal? https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...d-speed-record Worst hurricane ever?!
It's real. FIL used to diss the weather predictions... until he was blasted by Charlie
__________________
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:36 AM   #97
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't think that's overly conservative, at all! This is a monster storm. Good luck with MIL.
Thanks! Should be packing her up soon.
__________________
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:13 AM   #98
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: philly
Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
You might want to check the vegan section:



there's a reason for that.

In all seriousness. Prayers to all that are in it's path and friends from Florida, please don't be "heroic", be safe and leave if you have to.
__________________
My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being "normal" is not necessarily a virtue? it sometimes rather denotes a lack of courage~Aunt Francis
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:35 AM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets
wrigley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
I had no trouble filling up the car with gas this morning in Sarasota. Price $2.60/gal - no gouging yet.

For the first time ever I tried to do some hurricane shopping this afternoon. I went to Target and Publix. Both places were out of water (more coming, they both said). No 'D' batteries at Target; I picked up the last package at Publix. Plenty of nutritionally-deficient empty calories still available to keep the body fueled, but potable water is more important.

The local cat shelter is making plans to move 150 kitties to Jacksonville. Can I squeeze into a cat carrier and hitch a ride?
I'm in Jacksonville and the panic is already setting in. We are more than likely quite safe until Sunday night into Monday. Long lines at gas stations already and some reporting running out of gas. Irma was reporting to have turned east late last night. Hopefully she will continue to turn east right back out into the Atlantic (I know, wishful thinking). Still no concrete plans for me and my family. We'll know more in the next 48 hours.

Mike
__________________
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:21 AM   #100
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
I'm in Jacksonville and the panic is already setting in.
Based on the Wednesday morning predicted storm track, I'd rather be in Sarasota than Jacksonville. Irma is sufficiently powerful that even if it goes up the east coast it will cause lots of thrashing around here on the west coast. It's still early - the experts might change their minds (again).

On the positive side, no one is predicting that the storm is going to stall out and hang around for days dumping huge amounts of rain.
__________________

__________________
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Already a record hurricane year FinallyRetired Other topics 2 09-04-2007 10:51 PM
Who cares about long term hurricane data? mickeyd Other topics 0 07-08-2007 03:34 PM
Hurricane Bogle? mickeyd FIRE and Money 1 02-15-2007 04:42 PM
Hurricane Rita, Wilma Victims read here mickeyd Other topics 0 12-30-2005 11:06 AM
struggling with lessons from Hurricane Katrina Caroline Other topics 31 09-05-2005 09:45 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:37 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.