Hype

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Driving me crazy...
It wasn't a word when I was young... short for "hyper-whatever". We used to call it ballyhoo, or hoopla.
Hype is everywhere... in the corner of the TV screen while you're watching a movie... preview of another movie... Product advertising on the walls of soccer fields, baseball fields... on clothing, trucks, billboards and the newer colored led changeable signs.
Hype... on the internet... pop-ups, pop behinds, automatic videos and forbid that you ever sign up on a website... a BFF with multiple emails... same with signing an on-line petition. Give out your email address, and receive messages from every politician... Do it for both parties, and fill your email box enough to delay your PC startup time by minutes.
Every webpage pops up a demand for subscription, a page delay, or popouts that cover the screen.
Make the mistake of signing up on a site and the hounding comes from. every direction. I don't do Facebook and have never even been to Twitter, but wherever I go on the internet, websites want me to "like" them, as if anyone cares. Took me months to know what "hashtag" meant. Even on the phone... "Your call is important to us" ... followed by continuous commercials that tout the product you called to complain about. Sheesh... the ultimate insult.
And today... at the mall... on the floor in the very center... a 10 foot by 25 foot plastic stick-on sheet that advertises Ford... DW decided to walk around it because she didn't want to leave footprints. OMG...
Then, when we get home, in the driveway, a plastic sandwich bag with some sand to weight it down, and the business card for a landscape company. Imagine that... in a senior community, where all of the lawns are managed by our HOA choice.
Back to the mall... a young lady with a open neck blouse and a tattoo on the back of her neck... a rose and the name "Peggy". Not sure what she was advertising.
Mail... addressed to "Our Friends at the (Jones) household. Phone calls to participate in a poll, or to tell me that I've won a trip to La Vegas.
And now "crowd source"... see it to believe it... little girl's doggie hit by a car, collects $4500 to send her and her parents to Disney.
And this doesn't even begin to address the hundreds of millions of tons of paper that comes in the mail and inside our newspapers... most of which doesn't get recycled, but ends up in landfills.
Did I read that Micheal Jordan received $80 million dollars for dropping his endorsement for one product, and going to another?
Hype everywhere... It must pay off or they wouldn't spend the money doing it.

End of rant... except I still wonder about "Peggy". :cool:

Last edited:
Hype?

Sounds like you are describing advertising. Is this new? What about Burma Shave signs? Heck, I was just taking a nice drive in the country, and up pops these obnoxious signs, interfering with nature!

Burma-Shave – To Think About and Enjoy

-ERD50

I try to spend as much time as I can fishing - sometimes the bobber goes down, but so far its never come back up with a business card!

Hype?

Sounds like you are describing advertising. Is this new? What about Burma Shave signs? Heck, I was just taking a nice drive in the country, and up pops these obnoxious signs, interfering with nature!

Burma-Shave – To Think About and Enjoy

-ERD50
Oh yeah... how well I remember.. Some years ago, Reminese Magazine
Reminisce — Sharing Memories of the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s and More Reinstalled Burma shave signs in some US rural towns. We have one in the same town where our Woodhaven Lakes Campground is located... Sublette Il.... The sign reads:

Five hundred Bucks
For a bike
Gramp roared,
Paid less than that
For my '38 Ford.

Burma Shave
http://qctimes.com/news/opinion/editorial/columnists/bill-wundram/burma-shave-signs-stand-by-the-side-of-this-road/article_7c2aca3f-5483-532e-b484-47e443510a0f.html

Love it, and for sure, back in the 1940's and 50's ... all over the countryside. At its peak, 7,000 sets of Burma Shave signs

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom