I got a new watch

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I bought a new watch recently. It's a sports watch with stopwatch and countdown timer. Plus solar (not battery changes needed! :D).

Funny, I've gone full circle when it comes to watches. As I kid, having a sports watch with timers and alarms were great. Timing silly stuff like how long can I hold my breath..etc. :LOL:

The later in w*rk, I didn't care for the digital stuff. All I needed was a big hand and small hand to show the time when to catch my train to go to/from w*rk.

Now that I've FIRE'd, I feel a need to time stuff again...like how long have I been at the grocery store, etc.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Now that I'm FIRE'd, the most important feature of my watch by far is the little window that indicates day of the week. :2funny:

Mine is a sportswatch too, but I don't use its stopwatch/timers at all, and I don't use the alarm.

Now that I'm FIRE'd, the most important feature of my watch by far is the little window that indicates day of the week.
I've got one of these clocks. I'm looking for the same thing in a watch...

Attachments

• dayclock_big.jpg
    dayclock_big.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 143
Now that I'm FIRE'd, I sometimes forget to wear a watch and just use my mobile phone which shows time, date, calendar appointments and alarm. Great invention.

Now that I'm FIRE'd, I sometimes forget to wear a watch and just use my mobile phone which shows time, date, calendar appointments and alarm. Great invention.

You and a gazillion teens....the ubiquity of wristwatches is no longer a given!

I bought a water proof watch when I retired. Never wore one at work, always had a cell phone, computer or clock to see the time. I use mine mainly when I fish. Sometimes I gotta be home at a certain time. Other times I forget to eat. Don't want to bring my cell phone and possible drop it in the water.

I've got a watch. I keep it with my ties so if I go to a wedding or funeral I am on time.

I stopped wearing a watch the day I ERed. I have several in a drawer, and haven't even looked at them.

I do look at my phone occasionally to check the time. Old habits...

I am one of those people who feel naked without my watch. I put it on even on week-ends. I don't think I am particularly rigid about time in my daily life (other than getting to work on time and keeping appointments)...just habit I guess. I don't always carry my cell phone and for whatever reason, I don't think it would ever occur to me to consult my phone to find out the time.
I love my Citizens solar powered bracelet watch. It is nice not to have to worry about a battery. My other favorite watch is a vintage faux tortoise-shell plastic watch from the '60's (you wind it, no battery). I got it at a flea market, and it is my dress watch. I think it is very Carnaby Street.

I haven't worn a watch since I got my first cell phone over 10 years ago. Don't see any need for one. I'm certainly not the type to have one for fashion or status reasons so why have one. I never did like having one on my wrist. Before cell phones, I would buy a $10 watch and rip off the bands. Then just put the "face" in my pocket.

Cell phone's keep time? Who knew? Seriously I'm atypical in this crowd. I love watches and other timekeeping devices, but not very much of the current crop being produced today. 1930's to 1950's wristwatches, plus some choice Railroad Grade pocket watches are my speed. I really binged on collecting them in the 90's, now not so much, more often trading up to get better examples. I really like American made stuff particularly but not limited to Hamilton before they went Swiss. I am fascinated by the mechanical movements that were produced before the Quartz thing ruined it all and made everything the same. My current "modern" every day is a Kinetic. These use body movement to charge a capacitor to power the watch. So like the solar design mentioned above, you never need a battery. I wear it continuously, except when I get out one of the vintage ones to wear for fun. I have about 200 watches and clocks.

Watches? I have some great ones.....in the vault. I really need to dig out the one with the day calender on it, cause, since I'm not working, I am forgetting what day it is all the time. Yup, la vida loca!!!:D

johnnym:

Correct me if I"m wrong. I was going to buy a Sony "kinetic" watch. No battery recquired. Works with motion and capacitar.

However, did some research on the internet, and found out there still is a battery in the kinetic watch that does wear out.

Did I get false info?

I have a solar Citizen - really like it - I'm semi-retired, but believe I will always wear a watch -it's a habit and I feel naked without it.

However, one of those days clocks may end up in my house - the dreaded 'oh crap it's Saturday and everyone else is out shopping now, too' mistake is one that is too distressing.

I have a solar Citizen - really like it - I'm semi-retired, but believe I will always wear a watch -it's a habit and I feel naked without it.

I feel exactly the same way. I tried going without a watch and it just didn't feel right.

I gave up my badge when I retired, but my watch? That's going a bit too far. :2funny:

I stopped wearing my watch when I w*rked with infrared lasers in the lab. The glass face cover was a heck of a direct reflective surface. :nonono:

I use my cell phone for my time hack.

However, on a sunny day, I can actually get pretty close by observing the sun's position. Oh, the odds habits formed when out on a boat as often as possible...:D

Back
Top Bottom