Join Early Retirement Today

I got a new watch
Old 01-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got a new watch

I bought a new watch recently. It's a sports watch with stopwatch and countdown timer. Plus solar (not battery changes needed! ).

Funny, I've gone full circle when it comes to watches. As I kid, having a sports watch with timers and alarms were great. Timing silly stuff like how long can I hold my breath..etc.

The later in w*rk, I didn't care for the digital stuff. All I needed was a big hand and small hand to show the time when to catch my train to go to/from w*rk.

Now that I've FIRE'd, I feel a need to time stuff again...like how long have I been at the grocery store, etc.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
Administrator

Now that I'm FIRE'd, the most important feature of my watch by far is the little window that indicates day of the week.

Mine is a sportswatch too, but I don't use its stopwatch/timers at all, and I don't use the alarm.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Now that I'm FIRE'd, the most important feature of my watch by far is the little window that indicates day of the week.
I've got one of these clocks. I'm looking for the same thing in a watch...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dayclock_big.jpg (35.9 KB, 142 views)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Now that I'm FIRE'd, I sometimes forget to wear a watch and just use my mobile phone which shows time, date, calendar appointments and alarm. Great invention.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
Now that I'm FIRE'd, I sometimes forget to wear a watch and just use my mobile phone which shows time, date, calendar appointments and alarm. Great invention.
You and a gazillion teens....the ubiquity of wristwatches is no longer a given!
Old 01-22-2011, 11:16 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I bought a water proof watch when I retired. Never wore one at work, always had a cell phone, computer or clock to see the time. I use mine mainly when I fish. Sometimes I gotta be home at a certain time. Other times I forget to eat. Don't want to bring my cell phone and possible drop it in the water.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:37 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I've got a watch. I keep it with my ties so if I go to a wedding or funeral I am on time.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I stopped wearing a watch the day I ERed. I have several in a drawer, and haven't even looked at them.

I do look at my phone occasionally to check the time. Old habits...
Old 01-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am one of those people who feel naked without my watch. I put it on even on week-ends. I don't think I am particularly rigid about time in my daily life (other than getting to work on time and keeping appointments)...just habit I guess. I don't always carry my cell phone and for whatever reason, I don't think it would ever occur to me to consult my phone to find out the time.
I love my Citizens solar powered bracelet watch. It is nice not to have to worry about a battery. My other favorite watch is a vintage faux tortoise-shell plastic watch from the '60's (you wind it, no battery). I got it at a flea market, and it is my dress watch. I think it is very Carnaby Street.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I've got one of these clocks. I'm looking for the same thing in a watch...
DW bought me the same day clock when I retired. To this day I look at it and smile because of how true it is -- mid-day Sunday is usually all I need to know (if that).

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #11

I haven't worn a watch since I got my first cell phone over 10 years ago. Don't see any need for one. I'm certainly not the type to have one for fashion or status reasons so why have one. I never did like having one on my wrist. Before cell phones, I would buy a $10 watch and rip off the bands. Then just put the "face" in my pocket.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I haven't worn a watch since I got my first cell phone over 10 years ago.
I haven't used a cell phone since I got my first watch over 60 years ago.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
I haven't used a cell phone since I got my first watch over 60 years ago.
But you used a cell phone more than 60 years ago?
Old 01-23-2011, 04:19 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
Cell phone's keep time? Who knew? Seriously I'm atypical in this crowd. I love watches and other timekeeping devices, but not very much of the current crop being produced today. 1930's to 1950's wristwatches, plus some choice Railroad Grade pocket watches are my speed. I really binged on collecting them in the 90's, now not so much, more often trading up to get better examples. I really like American made stuff particularly but not limited to Hamilton before they went Swiss. I am fascinated by the mechanical movements that were produced before the Quartz thing ruined it all and made everything the same. My current "modern" every day is a Kinetic. These use body movement to charge a capacitor to power the watch. So like the solar design mentioned above, you never need a battery. I wear it continuously, except when I get out one of the vintage ones to wear for fun. I have about 200 watches and clocks.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
But you used a cell phone more than 60 years ago?
Yea, distance was limited by the length of the string.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #16

Watches? I have some great ones.....in the vault. I really need to dig out the one with the day calender on it, cause, since I'm not working, I am forgetting what day it is all the time. Yup, la vida loca!!!
Old 01-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

johnnym:

Correct me if I"m wrong. I was going to buy a Sony "kinetic" watch. No battery recquired. Works with motion and capacitar.

However, did some research on the internet, and found out there still is a battery in the kinetic watch that does wear out.

Did I get false info?
Old 01-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #18

I have a solar Citizen - really like it - I'm semi-retired, but believe I will always wear a watch -it's a habit and I feel naked without it.

However, one of those days clocks may end up in my house - the dreaded 'oh crap it's Saturday and everyone else is out shopping now, too' mistake is one that is too distressing.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
I have a solar Citizen - really like it - I'm semi-retired, but believe I will always wear a watch -it's a habit and I feel naked without it.
I feel exactly the same way. I tried going without a watch and it just didn't feel right.

I gave up my badge when I retired, but my watch? That's going a bit too far.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I stopped wearing my watch when I w*rked with infrared lasers in the lab. The glass face cover was a heck of a direct reflective surface.

I use my cell phone for my time hack.

However, on a sunny day, I can actually get pretty close by observing the sun's position. Oh, the odds habits formed when out on a boat as often as possible...