I signed up for a lifestyle visit to the villages in a few weeks...

I am quite glad this worked for me. I am relieved that I do not have to pay today's rents around here!
I feel the same way; rents seem awfully high here, too, lately. According to Zillow, rent for my present home for a year would be 9.5% of what I paid for it (in cash), in the summer of 2015. Wow.

Rent here have skyrocketed and would be 1600. Our taxes are cheap so our house costs us very little.

I've stayed in the villages the past 3 of the 4 years during "on season". Somewhere floating around the internet is a guide on "Everything you need to know about owning in the villages".

There are multiple villages, all with a different "vibe". I can agree with lack of diversity, not sure if that is every ER community or just the villages as I've only been to Sun City and Villages.

As for STDs, naa, but don't get me wrong there are lots of opportunities. And this can happen at any age.

If you buy, know that this is a developer owned community, you are at the mercy of there rules and bylaws. Plus, they are constantly adding on, so what was "hot" in 2018 is "not" in 2019. The goal I heard at one time was to develop this thing all the way down to Orlando.

In terms of peace, I swear the traffic is never ending during "on-season". Golf Carts, cars, work trucks. The grounds are constantly being maintained. Good and bad. It's funny, I visit villages with FIL, and they always joke about "the older guys". If you want "old" go to Sarasota. I feel like The villages is for those that are still a bit active...especially those that like golf, and pickle-ball.

I researched and rejected it for my RE choice. But for those who are of specific ethnicity, political view, and life style, I admit the place could be near heaven for them. And despite its house/rent price having premium vs its competition, it's dirt cheap from where I live now.

If you don’t socialize with your neighbors I suspect older or 55+ neighborhoods might be a good choice. But if you do want to be involved in community activities, for us a mixed neighborhood is preferable. I’ve hung out with regular groups of seniors before and it can get old fast for me fast if they’re 1) complaining about health issues, 2) complaining about younger generations, 3) complaining about technology, 4) daily updates on grandkids, 5) arguing politics, the same issues over and over (without much underlying knowledge). A little of that is fine, daily isn’t my cup of tea. IME 55+ communities don’t start out that way when they form, but in time some devolve into a complaining society. Different strokes. YMMV

Last edited:
In terms of peace, I swear the traffic is never ending during "on-season". Golf Carts, cars, work trucks. The grounds are constantly being maintained. Good and bad. It's funny, I visit villages with FIL, and they always joke about "the older guys". If you want "old" go to Sarasota. I feel like The villages is for those that are still a bit active...especially those that like golf, and pickle-ball.

Someone mentioned the book "Leisureville" which was written about TV and other 55+ communities. It was first printed over 10 years ago. My Dad was still alive when I was reading it, and it hit me pretty hard as I read it and reflected on my Dad's retirement that, assuming you live long enough, you might break down retirement into 3 stages:

Stage1: still active and able to travel, play sports,etc.
Stage2. still healthy, but not able to do as much, and maybe seriously compromised as far as physical activity

Stage3, failing physically, and/or mentally, and not able to do much at all but sit around, lie around, and needing some degree of care, until you need full care, or pass away.

TV is all about Stage 1....that's what they market, and that's what is attractive to relatively young, active retirees. By the time they hit Stage 3, most of them have died or moved on, largely because there is a fairly stiff cost for living here that goes towards keeping the amenities (rec centers, golf, pickle ball, pools, etc) going, and if you are in Stage3 or late Stage 2, most folks don't want to continue to pay for those things they can't use.

Compared to "normal" neighborhoods, it's an older population. Compared to some retirement communities, probably not so much.

If you don’t socialize with your neighbors I suspect older or 55+ neighborhoods might be a good choice. But if you do want to be involved in community activities, for us a mixed neighborhood is preferable. I’ve hung out with regular groups of seniors before and it can get old fast for me fast if they’re 1) complaining about health issues, 2) complaining about younger generations, 3) complaining about technology, 4) daily updates on grandkids, 5) arguing politics, the same issues over and over (without much underlying knowledge). A little of that is fine, daily isn’t my cup of tea. IME 55+ communities don’t start out that way when they form, but in time some devolve into a complaining society. Different strokes. YMMV

Complainers are not exclusive to 55+ communities. It doesn't take long to find the folks you enjoy, and the ones you don't.

the other morning 4 of us had golf tee times..I drove my cart to my buddy's house and we rode on out to the course. It was a beautiful morning and reminded me of those days when we were young, it was summer vacation, no adults around to tell us what to do, and we could just goof off all day, which we did.

Only with naps.

Looks like there are plenty of rentals available in TV. I'd think a good way to evaluate would be to sell your existing home and rent in TV for a few months. Could check out TV and other areas around Florida, if that's your destination of choice.

Looks like there are plenty of rentals available in TV. I'd think a good way to evaluate would be to sell your existing home and rent in TV for a few months. Could check out TV and other areas around Florida, if that's your destination of choice.
+1
I can't stress enough how important a long term stay somewhere before you move there is. Heck, stay there for 2 months one year, 2 months the next, and then see if its right for you. You might get that honeymoon feeling after the first years visit, but reality tends to set in after.

+1
I can't stress enough how important a long term stay somewhere before you move there is. Heck, stay there for 2 months one year, 2 months the next, and then see if its right for you. You might get that honeymoon feeling after the first years visit, but reality tends to set in after.

Even if you are "sold" on TV, spending some time here, maybe more than once,would be a good idea. There are some interesting differences between the various villages, based upon when they were built. They've been expanding steadily for 30 years, and the differences as they progressed include:

Generally the houses have gotten bigger,
The older neighborhoods have more trees, and more mature landscaping,
Also the older neighborhoods generally have older people, although some of the older neighborhoods have started to turn over, due to attrition.
Generally, the newer neighborhoods with bigger homes will have younger folks, and probably more affluent folks, as those houses go for more than the older, smaller homes in older parts.

The developers learned some stuff along the way, over the years, and the golf cart trails, which also work as biking and walking trails, are generally off of the busier roads in newer tracts, and are just little lanes on the right side of some of the busier roads in older areas.

Also, some areas are noisier, due to proximity to heavily traveled roads and/or cart paths...

It's definitely worth the time to check it out before buying, IMO.

I researched and rejected it for my RE choice. But for those who are of specific ethnicity, political view, and life style, I admit the place could be near heaven for them. And despite its house/rent price having premium vs its competition, it's dirt cheap from where I live now.

+1 again.
Also compared to where I live which is not in a rural area, it is still a $30 per sq ft premium in the Villages.

You may want to take a look at a fast growing large community about 2 hours south of The Villages in Sarasota. It's called Lakewood Ranch. There are a number of different communities within the locale, including Del Webb, where my kids live.

Instead of going to the website for Lakewood Ranch, i suggest you go to Google Maps, and zero in on the area. THEN go to the website, which I don't think does the area justice.

The community is young, started in the mid 1990's, and is about 50 square miles, roughly twice the size of Manhattan. Last year they added nearly 700 new homes. Total number of homes already built is about 12,000, and that is just one third of the expected total.

This article from 2017 will give an idea of the size, scope, prices and amenities.

https://www.yourobserver.com/article/lakewood-ranch-housing-hits-milestone

While I have not been there myself, my kids @age 59, moved in last year and are delighted with what's offered. Many from the younger generation, but all in all, a good mix, and they made friends easily.

They haven't complained, but someone here on ER said that the taxes might be somewhat high... Might be worth a look.

One more thing... link to a discussion on Lakewoood Ranch mostly by people who live there:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/sarasota-bradenton-venice-area/2924943-why-has-lwr-got-so-high-2.html

On the other hand, if you wanted to see what $30,000 would buy try our former FL home in Lake Griffin Harbor, about 15 miles south of The Villages.

Last edited:
You may want to take a look at a fast growing large community about 2 hours south of The Villages in Sarasota. It's called Lakewood Ranch. There are a number of different communities within the locale, including Del Webb, where my kids live.

Instead of going to the website for Lakewood Ranch, i suggest you go to Google Maps, and zero in on the area. THEN go to the website, which I don't think does the area justice.

The community is young, started in the mid 1990's, and is about 50 square miles, roughly twice the size of Manhattan. Last year they added nearly 700 new homes. Total number of homes already built is about 12,000, and that is just one third of the expected total.

This article from 2017 will give an idea of the size, scope, prices and amenities.

https://www.yourobserver.com/article/lakewood-ranch-housing-hits-milestone

While I have not been there myself, my kids @age 59, moved in last year and are delighted with what's offered. Many from the younger generation, but all in all, a good mix, and they made friends easily.

They haven't complained, but someone here on ER said that the taxes might be somewhat high... Might be worth a look.

Read the article then saw a comment at the bottom of a related development by the same owners/developers

https://www.yourobserver.com/photo-...ighborhood-at-the-lake-club-in-lakewood-ranch

Stock Development, with the blessing of SMR, has ruined many aspects of The Lake Club. Architectural standards have been lowered to sell cheaper homes.

Current $5000 annual HOA fee is set to double over next few years to pay for bloated staff, absurd food service program and excessive “amenities” no one here wants. HOA expenses are spiraling out of control with little explanation to homeowners.

Clubhouse was ruined by cheap, inept makeover- - former beautiful, timeless Tuscan design interior now looks like a hospital. Most residents now rarely use the clubhouse for anything including lousy restaurant that makes no sense for a neighborhood this size. Clubhouse is primarily being used as a marketing tool and income source for Stock and SMR via frequent wedding, corporate and other private events by non-residents.

Current homeowners have no control and are completely ignored regarding virtually all aspects of community operations, changes and HOA spending. All Lake Club decisions are driven completely by marketing goals of Stock and SMR.

Really good points, especially about people who are fighting (via walkers, canes etc.) to stay independent and active.

I find elders to be rather nosy and snoopy as a group, but that could just be because they are retired, and have nothing much to do all day :D

One of the advantages to living around older people, is that it makes me feel young by comparison. :D Also I like older people and their values, they don't have wild parties, and they have gardeners who mow regularly so their front yards look well kept up. I don't need to tell them to get off my lawn because they aren't on it. They mind their own business.

When I see a woman with a walker going up and down the sidewalk in front of her house, it makes me want to cheer! She's doing her best to fight back Father Time and get healthier. And let's face it, older guys often use canes just because they are attractive, good for self defense, and make them seem interesting, not because they are totally necessary. If I see an old guy or woman with a walker or cane, I think about the stories about old New Orleans that he or she could tell if I could get them talking! They are priceless assets to our community.

By avoiding over-55 neighborhoods, I think one is excluding what could probably be some of the very best, most peaceful neighborhoods around.

:confused: Whats is this "TV" so many posters refer to? Last time I heard the term "TV" it referred to a gizmo that showed pictures on a screen

Stage2. still healthy, but not able to do as much, and maybe seriously compromised as far as physical activity

Stage3, failing physically, and/or mentally, and not able to do much at all but sit around, lie around, and needing some degree of care, until you need full care, or pass away.

TV is all about Stage 1....that's what they market, and that's what is attractive to relatively young, active retirees. By the time they hit Stage 3, most of them have died or moved on, largely because there is a fairly stiff cost for living here that goes towards keeping the amenities (rec centers, golf, pickle ball, pools, etc) going, and if you are in Stage3 or late Stage 2, most folks don't want to continue to pay for those things they can't use.

Good point. Something people need to consider.

This. SIL and BIL live near Ft. Myers in a 55+ community and we have visited them several times a year, for the last 5 years. While we are now approaching 61, it was simply too depressing for me. We were the babies in the group, too much complaining, too much grandchild bragging, too many excuses why they couldn't do things and too damn hot in summer. I don't even live there and I'm complaining already.

The Villages is an extrovert's dream and an introvert's nightmare . A good friend lived in the villages and after one visit I knew it was not the place for me . I did live in a small 55+community for five years and I enjoyed it. If you move into a brand new community you tend to get the younger still active seniors who are ready for a lot of fun .My Sister (the extrovert ) looked at the villages but ended up in Glen Lakes in Weki Wachee and it is a perfect fit . It has all ages but a good percentage of seniors .

TV is all about Stage 1....that's what they market, and that's what is attractive to relatively young, active retirees.

I'm not an expert - only there a week, but my AirBNB hosts bought young (60s) and have all much older housebound neighbors. Much peering out of curtains when my rental appeared in my hosts' driveway :) My hosts have made friends their age but not on their street.

The hosts raved about the bands every night in the town square, I think Spanish Springs, so I went once. To me, it was depressing. It was about 75% people in their 80's or beyond, alot of them visibly drunk at 6:30pm, waiting for the band. Then the band came and the same people got up to sway/dance to the music. This is me projecting what was in my head, but they seemed to be saying "See! we're having fun here". One cannot help bringing one's own feelings about mortality into a life change like this.

The hosts raved about the bands every night in the town square, I think Spanish Springs, so I went once. To me, it was depressing. It was about 75% people in their 80's or beyond, alot of them visibly drunk at 6:30pm, waiting for the band. Then the band came and the same people got up to sway/dance to the music. This is me projecting what was in my head, but they seemed to be saying "See! we're having fun here". One cannot help bringing one's own feelings about mortality into a life change like this.
So true. Then watch the golf carts sway on the drive home. Well, those might just be the folks with bad nightvision ;) That is likely why new expansion does not included shared road/modal transport.:facepalm:

In all fairness, short term, we enjoy TV. We will be going back again next January. We do need to get "outside" TV and head to some touristy places but I could live there for a few months before I got bored. I can imagine the population is about 1/2 transient 6on/6off season people. It's good to try to bring your own friend...I call that BYOF...see if they like it too! We go with in-laws and uncles/aunts who stay in seperate homes...some split there 3 months in half or overlap a bit...lots of options renting.

Back
Top Bottom