I think I've made it

73ss454

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
First I would like to thank all the posters on the forum who have made this retirement day possible. I've been mostly reading and not posting much for the last 3 years. The information gained here is invaluable.

It's official Friday is my last day at work. I'm 57 and DW 56. We have just moved from NY to Fla. and I'm just in NY finishing up work till Friday.

DW and I have about 1.4M and everything is paid for. Also have a whole life policy which I will soon cash in for about 135K. Of the 1.4M 1M is taxable and .4 is tax advantaged. DW has a small 8K pension that's 1/2 cola, as for health ins. I'm covered under DW's plan which we pay 10% of the total bill which is about $120 a month.

So what do you guys think do I have a good shot at retirement?

You're set; Congrats!

First, congratulations - good job.

Second, where in Fla did you move>

Last, if your expenses are under 60K/y, what are you waiting for?

73ss454 said:
It's official Friday is my last day at work.
So what do you guys think do I have a good shot at retirement?
You're asking now?!?

Eh, you'll soon be more of an expert on that question than we will. Congratulations and enjoy!

It's time to PARTY!!!!
img_451076_0_26b352be3db0a08ca9687ce2be38ce58.gif

Rich,

Moving to Viera just across the state from you on the east coast.

Nords,

Well it sort of came up fast after my boss decided to close up shop after 53 years.
So we decided to pull the plug and move closer to the grand kids.

Wow, that is great news! Enjoy your new life!

Rich_in_Tampa said:
You will enjoy this complicated state, to which everyone seems to want to move despite it all.

Enjoy retirement.

Hey Congrats 73ss454!

DW and I really like the area you picked. We used to live not far from there in St. Cloud, FL and used to travel to Melbourne Beach all the time. You will LOVE it. We currently live in Bradenton, on the west coast.

Yes Rich, Florida is a complicated state, and like you, we thoroughly enjoy it.

Say 73ss454, I hope to get to see your ride someday. Maybe you can come to Desoto Speedway one day for their muscle car shootout!

Welcome to the club!

1.4 with no debt to service and health care covered sounds like a no brainer!

paradiseken said:
Hey Congrats 73ss454!...Say 73ss454, I hope to get to see your ride someday. Maybe you can come to Desoto Speedway one day for their muscle car shootout!

Yeah 73... make sure you are devoting enough time to your 'Velle with your new schedule.

Thanks guys...I flew down to Fla. after work today and looking forward to the 80degree weather tomorrow. Maybe I'll go for a swim. :D

Congratulations and have fun I will follow soon. Warm would be good this AM. VEry windy on the north shore of Lake Erie

Bruce

73ss454 said:
Thanks guys...I flew down to Fla. after work today and looking forward to the 80degree weather tomorrow. Maybe I'll go for a swim. :D

Congratulations on your last day. I envy your weather. It is 10 degrees outside and snowing right now. I am on the couch, two dogs and a laptop trying to occupy my legs.

Welcome to paradise 73ss454!

Sorry Martha, it's 84 degrees where I am in Florida. I just have on a pair of shorts. I do miss the snow....NOT!

Martha said:
Congratulations on your last day. I envy your weather. It is 10 degrees outside and snowing right now. I am on the couch, two dogs and a laptop trying to occupy my legs.

Martha,

Now that you decided to be free you can take a look at some nice houses that are for sale on my block. 84 degrees today :D

73ss454 said:
Martha,

Now that you decided to be free you can take a look at some nice houses that are for sale on my block. 84 degrees today :D

No thanks. That decision was ruled out a few years back. Too many old people down there ;).

Martha said:
It is 10 degrees outside and snowing right now. I am on the couch, two dogs and a laptop trying to occupy my legs.
All you need is a roaring fire and a glass of wine - sounds like heaven to me.

DW/me lived in Florida 1969-71. Hated the weather (and the bugs). Love the N.E. (four seasons - you always get "variation").

Of course, I know a lot of folks from "above the Mason-Dixon line" plan on retiring "down South". Good for them, if that's what they want. It dosen't matter where you live, as long as it fits your needs (and you can afford it ;) ).

- Ron

73ss454 said:
Hey Greg, who invited you! :D

:LOL: :LOL:

Yeah, but, but . . . I have other friends friend in Florida. Plus I know someone who is willing to give me a free barium enema down there . . .um . . . in Florida. That's sort of an invite, kinda, maybe . . . maybe not. :-\

Back
Top Bottom