I want an advice regarding internal transfer in the organization.

Zolitoo

Dryer sheet wannabe
I am working in a department but we are offering a certain service to another department, I have good relations with the heads of the two departments, and they consider me a good employee.

There is an opened vacancy in the department we are offering the service, and I know they are looking for a candidate, what could be the best approach in telling that department that I am interested in that position, so I can be transferred to this department .

It is a sensitive situation, so I don't want to open it frankly, may I insinuate about it, asking indirectly about it?

It depends on how things are done at your company and how much you trust your immediate supervisor. You need to bring it up with your immediate supervisor but that's only a good idea if your supervisor has a good working relationship with the other department. If he'd be unhappy you'd consider being "disloyal" you don't want to stir it up.

But I believe that before I discuss with my supervisor, I have to take the green light from the other department head. Right?

But I believe that before I discuss with my supervisor, I have to take the green light from the other department head. Right?
I would take care of my boss first. He needs to be happy to offer you to the other supervisor. If you go around him, you may make an enemy. It is usually safer to follow the chain of command.

Depending on relationship with your current supervisor:

1) Approach current supervisor, describe the situation, be honest and candid;
2) Explain how you want to be sensitive to your current supervisor/team's needs;
3) Explain reasons why the new position is attractive to you (i.e., advancement, professional growth, etc.).
4) If your supervisor is professional, well trained, and good at what he/she does, they will give you their blessing (supervisor's job is to grow their staff to benefit the organization);
5)Approach supervisor of open position, and repeat steps 1-3;
6) If offered new position, don't accept first salary offered. Counter with minimum 10% over and above offered by detailing what value you will be bringing to your new position. If they don't accept your counter and you still want the new position, graciously accept!
7) Lastly, be prepared for a common surprise: your current supervisor counters their offer with an increase to retain you.
8) If this happens, decide which offer is best for you, and decline *graciously* to the supervisor of the position you are declining.

Good luck!

6) If offered new position, don't accept first salary offered. Counter with minimum 10% over and above offered by detailing what value you will be bringing to your new position. If they don't accept your counter and you still want the new position, graciously accept!
7) Lastly, be prepared for a common surprise: your current supervisor counters their offer with an increase to retain you.

There is no way this salary negotiating/bidding happens for an internal move.

Before things were formalized at Megacorp my first internal transfer my manager knew I wanted the job. When it was available she let me know. So it was very easy. She did me a big favor.

After becoming a pulic company there were formal processes. Your manager wasn't notified unless you accepted the position. While you couldn't negotiate salary, it could change based on the minimum and maximum if you moved a new job family.

If you don't have a formal policy, and are on good terms. I'd give my manager the respect of talking with them first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

There is no way this salary negotiating/bidding happens for an internal move.

That's the official party line, a lie, and untrue. Everything is negotiable. I've been part of or seen endless salary negotiations. Never believe what you're told because if you're wanted enough the money can always be found, and it always is.

Always, but always, ask. Never take the first salary offered, not ever. Remember all future increases will be on top of any higher negotiated salary. If they really do have budget constraints the worst they can say to you is no. Then you graciously say how much you want the job and say "I accept" enthusiastically. You can then say to yourself that at least you tried.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom