Ideas for part-time work - Hilton or Marriott or such?

njonge01

Dryer sheet aficionado
One of the criteria I am using when considering part time earning opportunities after I ditch Corporate America is whether or not the j#b brings any benefits that I can use in my free time that comes with retirement.

For instance, I will continue my part time work as a Fitness Instructor / Personal Trainer as that gives me free access to gyms and also brings with it some free travel opportunities. All the while, earning me a nice check on an hourly basis and keeps me active.

for my current corporate america work, I accrue a lot of points by staying at Hilton properties. I see the guys who drive the vans, and even the night managers often to be fellows my age or older and they often appear to be in good spirits. I am doing some research to find if work with Hilton and Marriott and such also earns employees discount rates on hotel stays.

Any thoughts??

I've heard the Marriott employees (also good for family members) get steep discounts but you need to get a voucher approved by a supervisor/manager. The rate is really good, like $30/night but the hotel has the have openings. Also, know someone who retired with 25-30 yrs there and he can stay at a hotel for free (with openings), but only once/year at the same location.

I've heard the Marriott employees (also good for family members) get steep discounts but you need to get a voucher approved by a supervisor/manager. The rate is really good, like $30/night but the hotel has the have openings. Also, know someone who retired with 25-30 yrs there and he can stay at a hotel for free (with openings), but only once/year at the same location.

Thanks Dimsumkid. That is the kind of information I was hoping to scare up. I actually have made a "hit list" of all the Hilton and Marriott properties within a 30-40 minute drive. I live near Winston-Salem NC, so the only real options are what we call our "Triad" of W-S, High Point and Greensboro. I'm not that far from Charlotte, but its farther than I would want to drive with any frequency. There are a ton of Hilton and Marriott properties near CLT International Airport

Thanks Dimsumkid. That is the kind of information I was hoping to scare up. I actually have made a "hit list" of all the Hilton and Marriott properties within a 30-40 minute drive. I live near Winston-Salem NC, so the only real options are what we call our "Triad" of W-S, High Point and Greensboro. I'm not that far from Charlotte, but its farther than I would want to drive with any frequency. There are a ton of Hilton and Marriott properties near CLT International Airport

I'm sure they have different tiers of benefits too, the people I know were all full time and they probably change based on when you were hired too. The $30 cost is for someone FT and has about 5-7 yrs of time in. I couldn't tell you if you get anything for being part time, maybe someone else can shed some light on this for you.

DW and I have tossed around the working at an Airport counter to get some benefits after semi-ER. This is a decent idea too.

DW and I have tossed around the working at an Airport counter to get some benefits after semi-ER. This is a decent idea too.

One of my friend's dad worked for an airline on their reservation system (or some other phone thing).... IIRC he worked at home and would just plug in when he was needed and out when he was not... got cheap tickets on the airlines... he was in his early 70s...

arebelspy said:

i was thinking about the same thing! I started the application process for a US Airways job, but I realized that it was working the desk for baggage claim (i.e., angry passengers wondering where their baggage was..), and I thought that would not be so much fun.

Texas Proud said:
One of my friend's dad worked for an airline on their reservation system (or some other phone thing).... IIRC he worked at home and would just plug in when he was needed and out when he was not... got cheap tickets on the airlines... he was in his early 70s...

This is the kind of job i had hoped the US Airways gig would be. I'm going to search around for these opportunities. Even just a few hours a week would be great if there were airline miles or fight discounts to be had as part of the deal.

Back
Top Bottom