Join Early Retirement Today

Identifying E-mail Sender by Cursor Hovering
Old 09-08-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Identifying E-mail Sender by Cursor Hovering

I learned some yrs ago on this forum that you can identify the e-mail address of the sender of an e-mail by hovering the cursor over the sender's name.
Also the url of a website of a link in the e-mail. This has been useful to know.

A few questions:
1) just noticed that 2 friends with aol.com have no such info when I do that.
Pretty sure that they wouldn't know how to "turn off" that feature so is that
universal w/ aol.com
2) seems that almost all yahoo.com e-mail users that I received mail from have the identifying info when I hover. However DW who also uses yahoo mail does not have such info revealed. Why not? If relevant, she uses an ipad
to look at e-mail.

3) slightly different topic.......at one time it was safe or relatively safe to open
e-mails if you didn't click on any of the links contained within. Still true (or was it ever)? Or can just opening an e-mail be a problem?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2014, 10:14 AM   #2

That hover popup is not universal, instead it's a feature of whatever email viewer you are using. In most email viewers it is safe to view the text of an email; attachments and links are where malicious content can hide. Note that if you allow your email viewer to display pictures, the pictures can reveal to the sender that you have seen the email, along with information about when and where you did so.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
That hover popup is not universal, instead it's a feature of whatever email viewer you are using. In most email viewers it is safe to view the text of an email; attachments and links are where malicious content can hide. Note that if you allow your email viewer to display pictures, the pictures can reveal to the sender that you have seen the email, along with information about when and where you did so.
Good advice. I've restricted my email for years to not allow pictures to be shown unless I specifically authorize it (each one has a little button at the top that says "Load Images").
Also be aware that you might not even know that there was a picture in the email, because it can be just one pixel in size.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #4

Most mail clients provide a way for you to see the headers; that's where the information you want is located. Just look for a button that says something like "headers" or "display headers".

With some clients it is not obvious how to do this. For example, the mail client I use requires a right click on the message in the inbox, then click properties.