If you had a lot of stuff, how long did it take you to do a major de-clutter?

Thanks for all the comments, folks!

I requested the book at the library.

One takeaway: I need to be more ruthless with getting rid of stuff.

Another is, I think we need to work a little faster to get to that "liberating feeling" (because we're not there yet).

Continued comments, tips and hints welcome.

Again, as I have mentioned numerous times recently, I am in the process of moving from my current home of 32 years to a nice (but smaller) apartment.

I had (and still have) a lot of stuff, but I have been downsizing in various ways for the past few weeks--such as mentioned in my thread here.

A recent post in another thread in this ER Forum, about the poster asking the neighbor kid to bring over his favorite CD to check out a new loudspeaker the poster had just acquired, and the kid saying he doesn't own a single CD, got me to thinking.

Why do I still need to possess my hundreds of vinyl LPs and CDs? For the past many days I have packed boxes and boxes of 'em. They take up a lot of space.

I could just as well have all that music stored on an external hard drive that I could hold in my hand. (Let's not get into the debate regarding the "warmth" of vinyl vs. "weaker" MP3 digital sound, or Neil Young's offer of "superb" digital recordings.)

Last edited:
I guess I am asking: why do I need to still possess all these LPs and CDs, that take up so much space, when I can essentially hear the same music via a medium that takes up virtually nothing?

You don't. We gave all ours (music Cd's, DVDs, tapes, old records) away and don't miss a one.

Matter of fact, we even had some 8-track tapes. Now that's hoarding at its finest!

Workers are coming in the morning to paint the next couple of areas. That takes the decluttering of those areas to the next level as it triggers a re-evaluation - and more stuff gets tossed or donated.

It has taken awhile to get this far....

I tried to do a "minor" de-clutter today and got nasty stares from my DW. We have six drawers full of kitchen utensils (not including a silverware drawer). They are so full of stuff that you can't open them at times. I just wanted to remove stuff that is never used... And be able to open and close the drawers. My DW objected and let me know it! I pointed out we had four tomato cutters, three melon ballers, four ice cream scoops,and a whole pile of plastic stick things that she couldn't identify. I got three of the drawers sorted out before she intercepted me. She pulled a couple of old rusty steak knives out of drawer number four and then announced that the rest of the drawers were off limits. Oh, we'll. I suppose I should feel happy that I got as far as I did.

So, in answer or the original question...it would take my DW FOREVER to de- clutter. She sees no reason to down-size.

I tried to do a "minor" de-clutter today and got nasty stares from my DW. We have six drawers full of kitchen utensils (not including a silverware drawer). They are so full of stuff that you can't open them at times. I just wanted to remove stuff that is never used... And be able to open and close the drawers. My DW objected and let me know it! I pointed out we had four tomato cutters, three melon ballers, four ice cream scoops,and a whole pile of plastic stick things that she couldn't identify. I got three of the drawers sorted out before she intercepted me. She pulled a couple of old rusty steak knives out of drawer number four and then announced that the rest of the drawers were off limits. Oh, we'll. I suppose I should feel happy that I got as far as I did.

So, in answer or the original question...it would take my DW FOREVER to de- clutter. She sees no reason to down-size.

So, while she's watching the kitchen drawers, it's time to get rid of the surplus towels and bedsheets in the overstuffed linen closet.

Mastery of misdirection is key in decluttering. (As he slips 2 cubic yards of unused-for-10-years Christmas decorations out the back door for freecycling...)

So, while she's watching the kitchen drawers, it's time to get rid of the surplus towels and bedsheets in the overstuffed linen closet.

Mastery of misdirection is key in decluttering. (As he slips 2 cubic yards of unused-for-10-years Christmas decorations out the back door for freecycling...)

Oh, now...that's deceptive... but I like the idea.

Since you brought it up, why do we still have all those sheets and towels that were in style when we got married in the 70's? You know the ones I'm talking about, with all the flowers or paisley things on them. We don't use them anymore. We don't even have any single beds, but have a whole shelf of single sheets.

People will laugh, but that's exactly what we had to do when my mother was preparing to move from her house to the apartment. One sister would take her out to lunch or dinner and the other sister and I would attack some part of the house. Mom grew up in the Great Depression and never, ever, threw anything out if there was the slightest possibility that it could possibly be used again some day.

Prior to that experience I'd had no idea that it was possible to stuff so many plastic bags, plastic margarine bowls, and paper bags under a kitchen sink. It was truly amazing to see the pile we pulled out of there.

Prior to that experience I'd had no idea that it was possible to stuff so many plastic bags, plastic margarine bowls, and paper bags under a kitchen sink.
Someday you'll go to the supermarket and they'll have margarine but no tubs to put it in. You'll wish you'd kept those things!

Three more things set out by the driveway today with a "free" sign. Two are gone. Several things leaving with a nephew who is visiting for the weekend.

What do you do to reinvigorate yourself on this very long task....?

I'm probably halfway done. It seems to be getting harder. A lot more of the stuff is not useless. A lot more of it is sentimental. But, I really don't need most of it. Then there are the tools and stuff I use.. if I'm staying put.

Why do I still need to possess my hundreds of vinyl LPs and CDs? For the past many days I have packed boxes and boxes of 'em. They take up a lot of space.

I could just as well have all that music stored on an external hard drive that I could hold in my hand. (Let's not get into the debate regarding the "warmth" of vinyl vs. "weaker" MP3 digital sound, or of "superb" digital recordings.)

I'm not getting rid of any of my CDs. Some (especially pedal steel) were sold to me by the artists that recorded them and are irreplaceable. Same thing with my finger picks, which are my "lucky charms".

My picks were sold to me by the great Buddy Emmons and his late wife Peggy. I remember a few things: Buddy is pretty tall and Peggy was really pretty. Both were supportive of a then-young guy who just wanted to get started and learn.

Last edited:
Gave away two bicycles to relatives who wanted them. Good. Too more things we don't have to deal with.

For the sentimental things that I was willing to part with, I took photos and then donated or gave away the actual items. I did take some of the sentimental items - generally those with the "most emotional value".

If you want you can create a scrapbook of the sentimental items you took photo's of. Of course, that just creates another sentimental item, but hopefully one that takes less space.

We have moved three times in the last 5 years...that helped a lot! We also have regular garage sales (1-2) a year which gets rid of things that DH has finally come to terms to part with ;)
I am hoping that when we move cross country in the next 3-4 years, he can be persuaded to just leave with clothes, cats, and a few sentimental things...nothing that would cost thousands of dollars to move.

Had my first garage sale today, just grabbed some stuff and made $262.00 in 5 hours. :dance: I see that when I get this going full steam, I could add to my MAD money. :cool: May not tell DW, but then again she will start to see stuff disappear never to be seen again.:angel: Looks like this could take a while, at this pace, but I do have a year and than off to very needy family members, and then to Goodwill.

Waste management drop off container $450
4 Workers 4 Hours @$18/hr $288
Total 4 hours Cost $738

Double that $1476

Last edited:
Three more things set out by the driveway today with a "free" sign. Two are gone. Several things leaving with a nephew who is visiting for the weekend.

What do you do to reinvigorate yourself on this very long task....?

Several times I have used a "Free" with a must take all caveat. A couple of marginal useful items with junk. It has worked everytime.

If I die first, DW can fill up my side of the room with more of her [-]crap[/-] [-]****[/-] [-]junk[/-] collectible items. If she goes first I'll be able to support myself at a 0% SWR for a few decades getting rid of stuff on eBay, craigslist, yard sales, etc. But for now I choke back my unhappiness at the continuing accumulation of [-]crap[/-] [-]****[/-] [-]junk[/-] stuff in the name of peace in the home. Other than this character flaw (IMHO) we're extremely happy, so I just let it slide. I'm sure overall I'm the more annoying of the two of us.

If she goes first I'll be able to support myself at a 0% SWR for a few decades getting rid of stuff on eBay, craigslist, yard sales, etc.

Check prices before you make plans to spend the money! DH and I have a year to get rid of things so we're throwing things out every week with the trash, donating books to the library, and I'm selling what I can on E-bay. A lot of the "collectibles" have minimal value. Fifteen Hallmark mini-ornaments, originally $5-$7 each, $9,99 for the lot. Dickens Village houses, originally $30-$50, another $10 each, maybe. Beanie Babies? Fuggedaboutit. Glad I never bought any if them expecting them to be investments.

Check prices before you make plans to spend the money! DH and I have a year to get rid of things so we're throwing things out every week with the trash, donating books to the library, and I'm selling what I can on E-bay. A lot of the "collectibles" have minimal value. Fifteen Hallmark mini-ornaments, originally $5-$7 each, $9,99 for the lot. Dickens Village houses, originally $30-$50, another $10 each, maybe. Beanie Babies? Fuggedaboutit. Glad I never bought any if them expecting them to be investments.

I wasn't talking about value, just quantity. She's a major part of the reason the economy is doing as well as it is. Doesn't understand the difference between liking something and needing it. But she never bought anything thinking it was an investment. She just likes stuff. Lots of stuff.

Funny/sad story. Back in the early days of the Beanie Baby craze I was having lunch with a co-w*rker. While we ate I was kibitzing on the conversation at the next table. A older (but younger than I am now, lol) woman was bragging to her friends about how she was going to pay for her son's college education with her "investment" in beanie babies.

We have a ton of them stuffed in a plastic tub because DW's mom liked to buy them for her grandkids, and somehow we ended up with the whole collection. I suspect I could sell them for something like $10/lb or so. It would probably work out to $.50 on the dollar. Except for the first edition Princess Di bear. Might actually get her money back on that one.

De-clutter? A dream only.

I wasn't talking about value, just quantity. She's a major part of the reason the economy is doing as well as it is. Doesn't understand the difference between liking something and needing it. But she never bought anything thinking it was an investment. She just likes stuff. Lots of stuff.

Funny/sad story. Back in the early days of the Beanie Baby craze I was having lunch with a co-w*rker. While we ate I was kibitzing on the conversation at the next table. A older (but younger than I am now, lol) woman was bragging to her friends about how she was going to pay for her son's college education with her "investment" in beanie babies.

We have a ton of them stuffed in a plastic tub because DW's mom liked to buy them for her grandkids, and somehow we ended up with the whole collection. I suspect I could sell them for something like $10/lb or so. It would probably work out to $.50 on the dollar. Except for the first edition Princess Di bear. Might actually get her money back on that one.

De-clutter? A dream only.

You could use the beanie babies as packing material around fragile items you sell on eBay. ;)

Start watching "Hoarders".

My decluttering method:

Pull everything out of the drawer. Wipe it down and sanitize. That's why you are doing this. As you put things back, ask if you have used the item in the past 24 months (covers all the seasonal items twice.) If not, either trash, sell, or donate.

Clothes are a different problem. Every women who is overweight intends to lose weight some day. Sort by sizes and put in plastic storage bins labelled by size. Then she can "go shopping" when she hits a milestone.

Find a good reason for her to downsize, then it may happen.

Back
Top Bottom