• "I'm doing good"

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • "I'm doing well"

Votes: 46 83.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
When someone asks "how are you doing", do you normally reply (assuming things are really going good/well) do you usually say "I'm doing good" or "I'm doing well"? I wasn't an English major but isn't good an adjective and well is a verb?

Doing "good" can mean that you are "doing good deeds/acts", while "doing well" clearly means "doing fine".

If you dropped the "doing" and were just asked "how are you?" the correct response is "I am well"....assuming you are well.

...but isn't ... well ... a verb?

Could be. As in to well up. Or could be a noun, as in a hole in the ground filled with water. Or an adverb, like your usage. I am well, or doing well.

Ain't that, well, swell? ;)

Could be. As in to well up. Or could be a noun, as in a hole in the ground filled with water. Or an adverb, like your usage. I am well, or doing well.

Ain't that, well, swell? ;)

Yes, sorry, I meant to say adverb instead of verb in that usage.

I think "doing good" is no good, but more people say it now.

"Good" can also be a noun. Think of it as the opposite of harm. To me, the phrase "I'm doing good" conjures up a vision of timeless charity work.

"Well", in this context, is an adverb. The opposite of "I'm doing well" is "I'm doing badly". However, "well" is also a noun. if I were to ask an oil driller what he was currently doing, he might say "I'm doing (a) well".

Funny old English, eh? :facepalm:

When someone asks, I say..."Yeah..me too!" :D

No, I probably say "I'm doing good" but I think "I'm doing well" is the proper grammar (or is that grammer)?

Better than I deserve!

I get mixed up with good/well, lay/lie, etc. My mom and DH were English teachers. Heck, I taught a class of sophomore English my first year out of college. Poor kids.

Maybe saying "I'm doing fine" would be good. Or would it be well?:)

When asked "hows your day going" or "how ya doing" I always answer "so far so good!" And it's true.....
:dance:

"I'm fine, thanks. How are you?"

Amethyst

I usually say "I'm doing good" and then realize I should've said 'well' or 'fine'. But if I just give the one word "Good" answer I feel better about it.

When someone asks "how are you doing", do you normally reply (assuming things are really going good/well) do you usually say "I'm doing good" or "I'm doing well"? I wasn't an English major but isn't good an adjective and well is a verb?

Misuse of "good" and "well" as adjective/adverb is one of a few grammar issues that grates on my nerves. IMO, no one should be satisfied with "you know what I mean" while sounding less intelligent.

For me, it depends if the word "doing" is involved or not. Saying "I'm doing well" sound more correct to me than "I'm doing good. However, "I'm well" doesn't sound as correct to me as "I'm good". So my typical response is "I'm good".

When someone asks "how are you doing", do you normally reply (assuming things are really going good/well) do you usually say "I'm doing good" or "I'm doing well"?

Neither one. They don't really want an answer; it's like a computer handshake, a meaningless back-and-forth to confirm communication.

Usually here the response to something like that is "How's yo momma and dem?" But, not being from here, I usually say, "Hey, good to see you, how've you been?"

I suppose that if things were really bad I could say "My doctor says I have 24 hours to live so make it snappy!" or "I just lost my home so can I sleep at your house tonight?", but nothing like that is going on. :2funny:

(As for the grammar, I chose "well").

When someone asks "how am I doing", I tend to want to respond with "well, how much time do you have?". I mean, what are they really asking here? Do they really want to know, or is it just a mechanical question that one is supposed to ask when one greets a person.

I always tell it like it is: "I'm doing GREAT! Thanks for asking. How are you?"

When I ask my dog, "How was your day?" He always replies, "Rough!"

C'mon folks, you can tell whether a friend is asking and really wants to know about your diagnosis of breast cancer or whether a stranger is just making small talk.

Last edited:
Neither one. They don't really want an answer; it's like a computer handshake, a meaningless back-and-forth to confirm communication.
(As for the grammar, I chose "well").

Agree it confirms communication. Not unusual for animals to do similiar communication rituals.

I generally respond to the question as 'I'm terrific, how about you'. I won't swear it's grammatically correct, and frankly don't care. Too much abuse by a hateful English 'teacher' at a young age made me create strong defensive stratagies.

Edit to add: Also life taught me that not everyone with proper grammer is smart. I remember as a young man, supervising an older man that never got past first grade. He was illiterate, had more common sense than most degreed people I w*rked with.

Last edited:
I like Michener's "They came to the islands to do good, and they did right well."

I prefer not to let people know when I'm doing good

I go with "F.I.N.E." F@#ked up, Insecure, Neurotic, Emotional

Eh, not everybody can afford or wants to spend money to spray ink over several square feet of photo paper like you are doing.

Back
Top Bottom