Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Immigration policy
Old 12-13-2005, 08:49 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I accept, no I welcome, all that illegal labor.* Here in Texas, I had my roof replaced a few years back.* Anybody wanna guess what nationality was crawling all over my roof. And it was hot, brudder, way more than 100 degrees up there.* They did it, of course.* Later, I had my foundation fixed due to shifting, dry weather, etc.* Once again, guess who? Down in South Texas we noticed the same folks out picking crops in the field.* Oh, and I do not want to pay more for vegetables.* They're* too high now, despite the illegal labor, and the unions would drive prices way up.* Hmmmm. Could these be what GWB was talking about when he mentioned "jobs that Americans don't want."?* I don't think the Republicans want to fix illegal immigration; they just want an issue.* *

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2005, 09:47 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If I had exterior masonry work, gardening or landscapiing, I would hire a person whose first language is Spanish in the blink of an eye.

In my part of the country MANY of the lower skilled crafts workers are native Spanish speakers.* They are doing their best to do a good job and provide for their familes, just like the rest of us.* They are not the only construction workers who need extra supervision.

Both of my kids can speak street Spanish, I used to be able to speak street Puerto Rican Spanish.* I am willing to attempt to learn any language to facilitate a co-operative relationship with anyone.

Old 12-14-2005, 08:36 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm wondering where the local "meeting place" is at 7:00 am for day laborers around my city. I guess I can ask one of the day laborers next time I see them around town. I'm thinking that it would be helpful to hire somebody for $50-75/day if, for example, I was to move across town. It'd be a lot cheaper than paying thousands for a moving company to do it.

Any other ideas on determining where the "meeting place" is?
Old 12-14-2005, 09:02 AM   #44

Since I agree with the thrust of your argument, I can only quibble: cannabis is still illegal in Holland. Granted, you wouldn't know it walking around Amsterdam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkie
It won't be too long before most "soft" drugs are entirely legalised in Europe, rather than the semi-official turn a blind eye policy on cannabis and the like that exists now in many places (save for The Netherlands that fully legalises and regulates).
Old 12-14-2005, 09:21 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkie
... Registration for users, regulated and controlled production, distribution and wholesale (which would all provide legal employement and profits producing tax revenue) and controlled distribution to registered users...
Disclosure: I don't know how to "solve" the drug problem.

That said, I question the wisdom of legalizing drugs. The most ambitious experiment down this road is in the Netherlands. Anyone spent much time in Amsterdam? If so, is that where you would like to raise your children?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:46 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Disclosure:* I don't know how to "solve" the drug problem.

That said, I question the wisdom of legalizing drugs.* The most ambitious experiment down this road is in the Netherlands.* Anyone spent much time in Amsterdam?* If so, is that where you would like to raise your children?
REW: Similarly, I don't know that my ideas would "solve" anything, but being pragamatic and an economic realist, I believe that people (criminals) will tend to stop doing something when the profit is removed, hence gov regulated production and distribution.

As for the Netherlands and Amsterdam, I have spent quite a bit of time there, albeit a few years ago now. Overall, I would have no qualms whatsoever in raising my family there (judged SOLELY in the context of the drugs issue). The reason is that the whole society has an educated and mature attitude towards drugs (most things in fact) and the incidents of youth drug use overall, along with other indicators like teenage pregnancy and so on are amongst the lowest in the developed world. I've sat with Dutch families in restaurants and cafes where the young teens will share a beer with their parents, one or two of the adults will enjoy a "medicinal" smoke and be openly discussing any topic you could possibly imagine and nobody thinks once, let alone twice about it. The result is that kids grow up with a mature, well balanced/reasoned/realistic and educated view of the everything the world has to offer, both good and bad. That's just the way the Dutch are in particular and Europeans are in general. (NB: I know that's a very general statement, but it largely holds water!!)

Cheers

Honkie