Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps I missed it if this was mentioned, but you can't combine heating and air conditioning with floor heating like you can with forced air. Living in Michigan, I did without AC for years, but increasingly it is a necessity in these parts.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Actually, I think you can to some degree by running cold water through the slab in the summer. I don't because ours is in a walkout basement which stays quite cool in the summer but I recall reading about it when I was looking into radiant.

pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Actually, I think you can to some degree by running cold water through the slab in the summer. I don't because ours is in a walkout basement which stays quite cool in the summer but I recall reading about it when I was looking into radiant.
The result would be a sopping wet floor, as the water vapor in the warm air condensed on the floor. In a forced air, air conditioning system there is a drain pipe that takes the condensation off the evaporator and sends it to a drain.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I have in floor heat in my basement and master bathroom. My first winter I kept it pretty toasty, until I got a $700 propane bill for 3 weeks. I thought it was going to be more efficient than that. I turned it way down in the basement just so it'd take the chill off the tile floor. My bathroom is kept a bit warmer. I put a cat bed in there and my cats love to nap there during the day. I like it but it's a luxury.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Our daughter had basement in-floor installed-her bills sky rocketed also. Turns out they had a bad install and replaced the type of boiler and are fine now.

If we proceed with this, our builder would install a backup gas forced air along with the central air conditioning. Seems silly in some respects to install two heat systems but at least we would have a backup if something happened to the in floor system.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Life is too short to have cold or otherwise uncomfortable feet!
I most definitely agree, which is why I always wear these when I'm at home (you can get them cheaper on eBay though). They keep my feet nice and toasty all the time!

Acorn SLIPPER SOCKS for Men and Women - Acorn
Old 08-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
The result would be a sopping wet floor, as the water vapor in the warm air condensed on the floor. In a forced air, air conditioning system there is a drain pipe that takes the condensation off the evaporator and sends it to a drain.
I'm not sure if your are right or not but your post caused me to look back to what I had seen before. It looks like they run cold water through the floor prior to going into the domestic hot water system during the summer. It partially cools the floor and slightly preheats the water. See items 4 - 7. Item 7 addresses your post.

Answers To Your Questions about the Open Direct System
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We're thinking about a master bathroom remodel in the next year or two and including in floor heating under tile. Sounds like it would be really nice in the winter. Given it's just a small area we're talking electric and having it come on in the morning when we get up and maybe right before bed.

I'd love to hear about anyone's experience with this variation.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'm not sure if your are right or not but your post caused me to look back to what I had seen before. It looks like they run cold water through the floor prior to going into the domestic hot water system during the summer. It partially cools the floor and slightly preheats the water. See items 4 - 7. Item 7 addresses your post.

Answers To Your Questions about the Open Direct System
Interesting.
floor.JPG

They just run incoming water through the floor before it hits the water heater. So, it adds a tiny bit of cooling and preheats the water before the water heater. Small temperature difference, small amount of condensation. I'll stick with my recommendation that if you need air conditioning, you will need a separate system to complement the in-floor heating.

Tags
in floor heat, radiant heat