In floor heat- Cold Climate

The result would be a sopping wet floor, as the water vapor in the warm air condensed on the floor. In a forced air, air conditioning system there is a drain pipe that takes the condensation off the evaporator and sends it to a drain.

I'm not sure if your are right or not but your post caused me to look back to what I had seen before. It looks like they run cold water through the floor prior to going into the domestic hot water system during the summer. It partially cools the floor and slightly preheats the water. See items 4 - 7. Item 7 addresses your post.

Answers To Your Questions about the Open Direct System

We're thinking about a master bathroom remodel in the next year or two and including in floor heating under tile. Sounds like it would be really nice in the winter. Given it's just a small area we're talking electric and having it come on in the morning when we get up and maybe right before bed.

I'd love to hear about anyone's experience with this variation.

I'm not sure if your are right or not but your post caused me to look back to what I had seen before. It looks like they run cold water through the floor prior to going into the domestic hot water system during the summer. It partially cools the floor and slightly preheats the water. See items 4 - 7. Item 7 addresses your post.

Answers To Your Questions about the Open Direct System

Interesting.
floor.JPG

They just run incoming water through the floor before it hits the water heater. So, it adds a tiny bit of cooling and preheats the water before the water heater. Small temperature difference, small amount of condensation. I'll stick with my recommendation that if you need air conditioning, you will need a separate system to complement the in-floor heating.

http://www.radiantec.com/faq/faq04.php?PRINTERFRIENDLY=ON#sthash.YojH2r1H.dpuf

Back
Top Bottom