Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by funmonster2 View Post
I like yahoo as a home page but my email keeps getting hacked. Is there a better place for free email that is a bit more secure? I also hate the thought of changing email address.
I'm sure you know that you can still use Yahoo for your home page and use a different free email. (e.g. Gmail - Google) I'm not sure I'd say Gmail is more secure (since I don’t know that for sure) but I personally haven't seen the problems with Gmail that I have seen with Yahoo.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've used http://my.yahoo.com/ for many years. I set it up with news, stocks, my account links, weather, movies, and even my Netflix queue. It's been fairly stable the whole time.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #23

For email I like having my own domain name and email. No email address changes. Not free, but changing my email address would be a severe PITA these days. Only about $50 a year for the basics.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #24

Well, they've done it again. My Yahoo with a new design. Yahoo Resurrects The Personalized Homepage With “My Yahoo” Revamp | TechCrunch
Quote:
Yahoo’s rollout of new products and redesigns continues today, with the release of an updatedMy Yahoo homepage featuring the same, more modern look-and-feel which accompanies all its online and mobile properties as a part of the company’s “Grand Slam” makeover project. In other news: yes, My Yahoo apparently still exists.
I first noticed yesterday on my mobile, where the new version automatically loaded, if there is an option to go back it is hidden. This morning on the desktop there is an invitation to 'try it".

Old 09-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Well, they've done it again. My Yahoo with a new design. Yahoo Resurrects The Personalized Homepage With “My Yahoo” Revamp | TechCrunch
I first noticed yesterday on my mobile, where the new version automatically loaded, if there is an option to go back it is hidden. This morning on the desktop there is an invitation to 'try it".
Can I assume somehow yahoo targets my individual interests in selecting the "front page" news articles? I swear every time I check the yahoo website it revolves only around Obamacare, Intel, and NFL. I know there has to be more going on in the world than that. When I go to MSN none of those are usually mentioned.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Can I assume somehow yahoo targets my individual interests in selecting the "front page" news articles? I swear every time I check the yahoo website it revolves only around Obamacare, Intel, and NFL. I know there has to be more going on in the world than that. When I go to MSN none of those are usually mentioned.
Yes, it uses some sort of cookie tracking, smartness. Just like here on ER there probably is an ad showing at the top with some interest of yours. Just noticed mine is showing an ad for tickets to my favorite pro team's games.

I "tried" the new page and I like some of it. I haven't pressed the button to go forward yet. It has promise.

I will say this about yahoo and many sites: stop the background color madness. That's what like about the old yahoo, simple color scheme. (And ER.org too!)

But as is mentioned in another thread, they need to go for the youngsters, not "old people", so they don't give a flip about readability from middle aged eyes.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #27
Administrator

A while back I wasn't happy about the last set of Yahoo changes, I suppose the ones that first inspired this thread.

Over the past few months I have become more used to them. For the moment I am perfectly OK with having Yahoo as my homepage.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Yes. I am getting strange-but-true science articles such as "Ancient Forest Thaws from Melting Glacial Tomb", "Alien Frontier: see the haunting, beautiful weirdness of Mars", and "New Alien Life Claim Far from Convincing". Interesting, because although I have a scientific background, I didn't think my browser patterns would trigger that.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Protopage RSS Reader and Start Page
I have a Yahoo home page, now a pain after the new enhancements and an IGoogle home page that Google is doing away with. Google's response is simply, Use Chrome there are apps for everything you want? Excuse me. This is for a PC running Windows 7 in either Internet Explorer or Firefox. I tried to mess with Chrome to see if I could emulate IGoogle, no. I tried protopage, it's ok
Old 10-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #30

Ya might wanna consider this as a home page:

Reference, Facts, News - Free and Family-friendly Resources - Refdesk.com
Old 10-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #31

My home page is a blank sheet. I do not like to be informed of a bunch of stuff, most of which I have zero interest in.

I decide where to go and what to look at after the blank raster appears. Uh, just realized raster is dated expression. Lots of white dots nowadays on the screen.

Now if TV stations and some web sites would resume the test pattern...... when no useful info is available to present.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #32

Mine is also a blank sheet. I don't need to be informed every day that JFK, Jimmy Hoffa, and Elvis are all doing fine on Mars.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #33

about:blank

That's mine too. I get on the Internet for a reason, not to have stuff pushed at me!