In Search of a New Home Page

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have Yahoo.com as my home page.

IMO, over the years, the strong point is the page is very organized.

But going there today, it looks like Yahoo has joined the crowed (can anyone say USA Today?) of making pages less friendly. The layout, I think feels overcrowded.

What are some nice organized home pages to start at?

cnn.com or your local news station or newspaper? That is what I use on different browsers.

I have a customized "My Yahoo!" home page and haven't seen any changes - at least not recently.
+1

They changed the way they report stock prices, got terrible feedback, and reverted to the previous method. No change other than that. It is easily customized.

I use an igoogle home page with a nice slideshow of my picasa albums, my email, a few news sources on RSS, and a calendar.

Thanks. I might have to mess around with customizing.

I do miss just the Yahoo classic look.

Yes. It didn't need fixing. That was always an issue at w*rk:

"We are upgrading the system...."

No, you are changing it. Perhaps it is an upgrade, perhaps a downgrade. But it IS a change. Sigh.

Is there a better free email than yahoo?

I like yahoo as a home page but my email keeps getting hacked. Is there a better place for free email that is a bit more secure? I also hate the thought of changing email address.:spam:

They'll be replacing it with something similar, I imagine. And Nov is a long way off. :D

I do like the customization. It looks like a real possibility.

I loved the pre-upgrade Yahoo! homepage. It had what I needed. They are getting hammered in the Yahoo! Answers section. Probably 99% opposed to the change (I have not seen the other 1% but I leave it there as SOMEOME must like the new page.)

My Way

Infinitely customizable. A half hour or so with setup. Have used this for many years, and completely satisfied. No ads, and many basics such as your selection of TV Channels, Newspapers, Websites... Delivers headlines from your choice of newspapers. Easy links.
I also use IGoogle, and Google News, but don't like them as much.

Use Gmail and Chrome Browser. The Chrome Sync works perfectly on all my computers.

Last edited:
My PC web homepage is XFinity/ComCast, but I use it as a jumping off point, so it doesn't make much difference to me. Maybe I should try another...

My Way

Infinitely customizable. A half hour or so with setup. Have used this for many years, and completely satisfied. No ads, and many basics such as your selection of TV Channels, Newspapers, Websites... Delivers headlines from your choice of newspapers. Easy links.
I also use IGoogle, and Google News, but don't like them as much.

Use Gmail and Chrome Browser. The Chrome Sync works perfectly on all my computers.

Thanks for the suggestion of My Way. That has the right approach.

I decided however to just use Google News. I especially like how to add specific news topics of my own.

I've found Yahoo (actually the personalized "My Yahoo") to be very customizable and user friendly. (Still that way today) I've been using it as my home page for a lot of years and haven't noticed many (if any real changes) except it seems even easier to use now than it was 10 years ago

I like yahoo as a home page but my email keeps getting hacked. Is there a better place for free email that is a bit more secure? I also hate the thought of changing email address.:spam:

I'm sure you know that you can still use Yahoo for your home page and use a different free email. (e.g. Gmail - Google) I'm not sure I'd say Gmail is more secure (since I don’t know that for sure) but I personally haven't seen the problems with Gmail that I have seen with Yahoo.

I've used http://my.yahoo.com/ for many years. I set it up with news, stocks, my account links, weather, movies, and even my Netflix queue. It's been fairly stable the whole time.

For email I like having my own domain name and email. No email address changes. Not free, but changing my email address would be a severe PITA these days. Only about $50 a year for the basics.

Well, they've done it again. My Yahoo with a new design. Yahoo Resurrects The Personalized Homepage With “My Yahoo” Revamp | TechCrunch
Yahoo’s rollout of new products and redesigns continues today, with the release of an updatedMy Yahoo homepage featuring the same, more modern look-and-feel which accompanies all its online and mobile properties as a part of the company’s “Grand Slam” makeover project. In other news: yes, My Yahoo apparently still exists.
I first noticed yesterday on my mobile, where the new version automatically loaded, if there is an option to go back it is hidden. This morning on the desktop there is an invitation to 'try it".

Well, they've done it again. My Yahoo with a new design. Yahoo Resurrects The Personalized Homepage With “My Yahoo” Revamp | TechCrunch
I first noticed yesterday on my mobile, where the new version automatically loaded, if there is an option to go back it is hidden. This morning on the desktop there is an invitation to 'try it".

Can I assume somehow yahoo targets my individual interests in selecting the "front page" news articles? I swear every time I check the yahoo website it revolves only around Obamacare, Intel, and NFL. I know there has to be more going on in the world than that. When I go to MSN none of those are usually mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom