Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Insurance companies!
Old 03-24-2006, 09:57 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Some years back the officers voted to allow the great unwashed masses of enlisted to join the USAA.
Yup. It's all the downsizing dying WWII veterans demographics.

The enlisted were probably more likely to pay their bills on time, too.

Navy Federal Credit Union used to only allow officers to join. Except for their Yokosuka branch, where enlisted could join and then be eligible for all NFCU's services. This created a slightly confusing situation when they transferred to other duty stations and continued to use NFCU for their money needs, especially if their enlisted shipmates had never been to Yoko.

Eventually someone pointed out this stupidity flawed logic to NFCU-- probably in public at an annual meeting-- and the policy was changed.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2006, 10:40 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Yup.* It's all the downsizing dying WWII veterans demographics.

The enlisted were probably more likely to pay their bills on time, too.

Navy Federal Credit Union used to only allow officers to join.* Except for their Yokosuka branch, where enlisted could join and then be eligible for all NFCU's services.* This created a slightly confusing situation when they transferred to other duty stations and continued to use NFCU for their money needs, especially if their enlisted shipmates had never been to Yoko.*

Eventually someone pointed out this stupidity flawed logic to NFCU-- probably in public at an annual meeting-- and the policy was changed.
Nords: Slightly off topic, but what the hell.

When I was in the "Crotch", there was no need to have a place to deposit money.

We got paid in cash every two weeks. Lined up at the pay table, and were handed our stash, and a common comment was "Don't spend it all in one place."

If you didn't smoke, or run into a real bad streak playing poker, you had a "fair chance" to make it to the next payday. Saving, you gotta be kidding.

All in all though, still consider it one of the best investments I ever made. (Competitive wise).

Old 03-28-2006, 02:52 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
USAA casualty (whats their relationship to USAA?!?)
As previously stated, USAA is for military folks and their families. When a child of a military member( or divorcee) leaves home they can also keep their USAA membership however, they are quietly slipped over to USAA casualty or USAA County Mutual where they are charged higher rates than the other USAA members. The only way that they can become "regular USAA" members is to join the military themselves.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:37 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We changed late last year to AAA for cars. It saved us about $700/year on three cars and an umbrella policy to address all the liability. The house was put into another company through my independent agent but I can't remember the name off the top of my head right now. I shop around about every 2 years because we have so many policies we can usually get a better rate when we move them all at once. It also helps to "motivate" our agent to be more creative in looking for the best deal. So far so good.

We looked at AARP and found their rates competitive (Hartford for cars and house) but they did not have ATV or snowmobile coverage or Umbrella so we went with AAA (I am a member). We got a good deal...maybe not the best but I don't have all day to chase around after quotes........yet.