Umbrella coverage and golf carts

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DH and I recently bought a golf cart to use in our new FL neighborhood. The golf cart is not street legal, max speed of 25 mph, and has two rear-facing seats with seat belts. Our intent is to use it to ride around the neighborhood, take it to the Clubhouse, etc.

We had no problem insuring the cart including getting liability coverage, but when we contacted our auto/umbrella carrier to extend our umbrella coverage to the golf cart, the carrier says they are going to cancel our umbrella policy altogether. We asked our broker if we could just exclude the golf cart from the umbrella coverage - ie not make any changes to it at all - and he said the carrier won’t allow that. Now that they know we have a golf cart with rear facing seats, they aren’t willing to offer umbrella coverage at all.

Our broker got us a quote for standalone umbrella coverage, but it’s about 2.5x more expensive than what we were paying. Our broker, although he’s independent, only has access to certain lines of carriers.

Does anyone living in FL have a similar golf cart and also an umbrella policy? If so, I would appreciate any referrals to FL insurance providers.

I don't know if the umbrella on our golf cart is covered or not.

Interesting. We have 2 golf carts but got insurance for them through a different carrier because our regular carrier charges more than $1K for each cart. We insure the carts with this other carrier for less than $100 a year. So, technically, our regular insurer is not even aware that we have golf carts.

Interesting. We have 2 golf carts but got insurance for them through a different carrier because our regular carrier charges more than $1K for each cart. We insure the carts with this other carrier for less than $100 a year. So, technically, our regular insurer is not even aware that we have golf carts.

Does your $100 insurance include a high amount of liability coverage such as you would have if they were included under your umbrella policy? Or is it just coverage for theft, damage and that sort of thing?

Question: If it's not street legal how can it be driven around your neighborhood?

Because Florida would cease to exist if this were not allowed. I think mainly it means public roads and almost all within an HOA are private.

But in my HOA we have still have country roads (no gate), and 1 in 5 homes has a golf cart.

Does your $100 insurance include a high amount of liability coverage such as you would have if they were included under your umbrella policy? Or is it just coverage for theft, damage and that sort of thing?

Not the same as my other insurances. My home and auto have $500K liability coverage, while the golf cart has $50K coverage.

Hmm ... Things I learn here ... We bought a golf cart last year just to run around to neighbors near our lake home, never near public roads. It never occurred to me that it needed separate insurance. I'll have to talk to our insurance guy. Thanks for the education.

This makes no sense to me, the total layman on this stuff. They’ll give you an umbrella policy if you have a jet ski or a four wheeler off road vehicle and they won’t if you have a golf cart? These insurance companies are little different than a criminal enterprise.

This makes no sense to me, the total layman on this stuff. They’ll give you an umbrella policy if you have a jet ski or a four wheeler off road vehicle and they won’t if you have a golf cart? These insurance companies are little different than a criminal enterprise.

Perhaps because...(per this article) - "Housewives getting drunk and crashing", and quite a few full house fires from overcharged carts making the news lately?

https://nypost.com/2023/12/25/news/...-rampant-across-florida-due-to-unruly-people/

OP might just raise their auto coverage instead.

one close relative had zero umbrella coverage but $1 million on their auto policy.

Hmm ... Things I learn here ... We bought a golf cart last year just to run around to neighbors near our lake home, never near public roads. It never occurred to me that it needed separate insurance. I'll have to talk to our insurance guy. Thanks for the education.

But you might loose your umbrella insurance when you do :eek:

Call me a rebel, I don't have any golf cart specific insurance. Only thing my ins guy said was that loss wasn't covered by house ins, so if I wanted comprehensive type coverage it had to be added as an extra. No mention of car ins policy. I have the added rear platform/seat deal also, although rarely have 4 people on it. Mostly DW and me, with 2 dogs added at times.

Just a funny comment, the golf carts have a key that is the same as all the rest for that brand. There is no real security on them, you can push it out of the way or down the street easily. I leave my key on mine all the time, same as 99.9% of the people around me.

I called a couple of brokers today. No answer yet. It is just bizarre. We got a separate policy on the golf cart itself. Our mistake was letting our auto/umbrella insurer know that we now have a golf cart and wanted it to be under the “umbrella.” I am not really worried about serious liability resulting from driving our golf cart around the neighborhood, but am concerned about not having umbrella at all in the event of a major auto accident.

NC Bill’s idea to increase the liability limit on our auto and drop umbrella coverage may be the answer, but I’m exploring options at this point. Not sure what the maximum liability one can purchase on a FL auto policy is but will definitely ask about this option as auto is by far the biggest risk.

I agree! Makes no sense to me either. Had no idea of the project this would turn into. Thought it would just be a routing, quick change.

Never would have guessed that. Did a search and found lots of seniors in golf cart communities have faced the exact issue, if you want to do a search and read up on the issue.

There are similar golf carts in my neighborhood, I am sure some have not been disclosed to their insurance providers.

Last edited:
Wow!

So many golf carts around here, but no golf course. They are used for cruising the 55+ neighborhood and even for walking dogs.

It’s kind of funny, late afternoon we often have a parade. Folks cruise the neighborhood in their golf carts and stop to visit with other folks out in their carts or walking. Kind of like the drag in my youth.

We don’t have one. It’s not a large neighborhood. Everything is an easy walk or bicycle ride. Would be most convenient for visiting the pool or mailbox but we don’t need the extra stuff.

Last edited:
Our prev home in Texas was in a 2000-person development where 1 out 3 homes had electric carts. Closest golf course was 10 miles away. Many of the drivers were kids under 16yo with young kid passengers not wearing seatbelts. Parents were too lazy to take the kids around the neighborhood or force them to walk/ride bike. Many of the kids were sent to the HEB to pick up things for the mother. HEB was not in the development and on a major street that connected two highways. I was constantly amazed local police did nothing about it (several lived in development). Just a matter of time before horrible accident happens.

I'm guessing it is a liability issue. There are some houses in our sub that have golf carts and I think they are mainly for their kids to get around, go to the park, etc. We live in Michigan so it seems a bit out of place to me. I think they drive them a full speed (25mph?). Although it seems unecessary to me (what happened to walking, or bikes?), I don't really have an issue with it. If one turned over or collided with a car, then I can guess a lawsuit might result.

My guess is that a LOT of these golf carts are uninsured. Either because they told their insurance company, or because they didn't.

The only automatic liability coverage on a typical Homeowners Policy (ISO or AAIS) only provides liability coverage for golf carts while being used for golfing purposes on a golf course.

Another thought. Does anyone have Side by Side ATV's such as a Polaris Ranger ? They may be easier to insure if they are allowed. Some states (South Dakota) consider them Motor Vehicles and you license them and insure them like a car. Other States consider them ATV's and local government controls their use.

I have a house in Florida and golf carts are only allowed on the roads if they are street legal. I guess it depends on the development.

In our neighborhood there are several “carts” that are probably ATVs.

Do you have to tell insurance people everything you do or buy? If you never think to mention it, do they deny coverage if you file a claim? If you whack into someone on a golf cart you borrow from a friend does your umbrella deny coverage?

NC Bill’s idea to increase the liability limit on our auto and drop umbrella coverage may be the answer, but I’m exploring options at this point. Not sure what the maximum liability one can purchase on a FL auto policy is but will definitely ask about this option as auto is by far the biggest risk.

It depends on the company. I worked in property-casualty insurance my whole career and frankly, this surprises me, too. I had no idea companies considered golf carts to be a high liability risk.

I did notice last time I visited my sister's neighborhood in SC that the proliferation of golf carts used for just cruising around is real. It's not a 55+ community; her daughter, late 40s, lives nearby and has a bright yellow one. At Christmas, families drive around in them looking at everyone's holiday lights. I can't imagine letting someone who was too young to drive a car operate one on the roads- not because of the potential liability for accidents they might cause but because of what would likely happen to them if they collided with a car.

Back
Top Bottom