Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-16-2010, 01:05 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
Why not just use the notepad application? It automatically generates a dated index from the first line of your note. We keep a running list of movies and books in addition to our grocery list.
Since we have no land line, my iPhone is always with me; maybe not so if I had an iPod Touch instead.
Like IP, I almost always have my iPhone within easy reach...normally in my pocket. Since I got it back in January I spend VERY little time in front of desktop anymore, since I can do just about everything on the iPhone that I can do on the 'puter. That said, I now just use iPhone's notepad app for shopping lists, lists of plants that I have, lists of plants that I'm looking for, note taking at telenet classes that I attend at the local county extension office, keep track of doctor appointments (and the resulting B/P readings), and any other info that I'd normally jot down with graphite on pieces of dead trees.

I also use the "RedLine" barcode scanner app to quickly make a list of products that I use, that I need to pick up at the store.

And I use the iPhone's camera to snap a quick pic of stuff...like if I need to pick up another planter or container like one I already have. Snap a pic, go to the store, and match the pic with the planters they have. I've used the camera to snap a quick pic of written notes or drawings for projects that I'm working on, so I have them close at hand if I need to run for a part or for more materials.

On the rare occasions that I'm actually at the desktop and I think of something I need to pick up, I just shoot myself an email at the account that I use on the iPhone.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2010, 05:56 AM   #22

What I really need is an app that takes my grocery list, organizes it by store aisle, and then directs me to each item in an organized manner when I get to the store. It may be as simple as having a database of items / aisles and then the app sorts the list by aisle. I may have to work on this - but its probably out there already

Old 05-16-2010, 08:09 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
What I really need is an app that takes my grocery list, organizes it by store aisle, and then directs me to each item in an organized manner when I get to the store.
My DW.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just downloaded the free app dragon dictation. This app seems even better because it transcribes to text very quickly. Instantly, in fact.

I dictated this text in this post. There was no training involved and it seems to work very well.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:01 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

iTunes continues to annoy me with customer reviews that cannot be copied so I retyped a couple. btw, only people who have downloaded apps. are allowed to comment in the review section. This type of review usually stops me:

One-star review by Chuck Pelto: “Dragon is a superior voice recognition system. However!!!!!!!! .... they want to copy your contacts to THEIR server. There is a 60 second limit on dictation.”

And this from Mark Delawar: “...collects and uses the contact names in your address book. You have to accept a license agreement before using the app.... And that is only one of the notices. Thank you, but no thanks.”

I've immediately deleted some other apps because the app. developers wanted TMI.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

When I installed it, it gave me the choice of copying the contacts. It stated clearly that it would only copy the names and no other information, and that it does it only to better interpret what you say.

Having said that, I do feel like I always have to defend against apps that are trying to get info or bombard me with ads. I miss my Firefox adblocker Plus and Flashblocker on the iPod.

I realized later that it is doing the transcription at their servers, which shouldn't surprise me, but which makes it less valuable because it will only work when you are connected to the net.

The biggest downside is that you can't use it within another app. That is, you have to close the app, open Dragon Dictation, start dictate, talk, stop dictate, copy text, close DD, open other app, paste.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:09 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

The biggest downside is that you can't use it within another app. That is, you have to close the app, open Dragon Dictation, start dictate, talk, stop dictate, copy text, close DD, open other app, paste.
You're way ahead of me on these things, Al. I still feel like a newbie on the net. Recently bit the bullet and accepted a couple of Facebook friends. Then yesterday, a cousin and I "became friends." LOL It freaks me out when it suggests that I become friends with a former client. Not a good idea to use a free email address for business; years ago, I set a free one up for use when the main one was down. Hope none of the former clients are friends of my cousin. I tried to delete all their names but I'm not sure they really are gone.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use an app called "Hungry!" Once I enter stuff, it stays on the list. All I need to do is touch an item and it gets put in the "shopping cart" portion of the app. Then as I put it in the real shopping cart, I touch it again, and its removed from the list.

I tend to shop for the same stuff (milk, bread, coffee, etc) so it took a while to build my list. Now I only occasionally have to add stuff to it.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:30 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
You're way ahead of me on these things, Al. I still feel like a newbie on the net. Recently bit the bullet and accepted a couple of Facebook friends. Then yesterday, a cousin and I "became friends." LOL It freaks me out when it suggests that I become friends with a former client. Not a good idea to use a free email address for business; years ago, I set a free one up for use when the main one was down. Hope none of the former clients are friends of my cousin. I tried to delete all their names but I'm not sure they really are gone.
The latest trend is deleting all traces of one's presence on Facebook. Facebook is so 2009!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:08 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
The latest trend is deleting all traces of one's presence on Facebook. Facebook is so 2009!
There's hope; I might be in fashion for once. I can contact my cousins directly.