Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-12-2009, 06:12 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No I'm not going to skip checking my email for a week. Are you crazy? A lot of critical personal communications come via email.

Older generations spend a lot of time watching TV. Younger generations spend more time online.

Older generations read the daily newspaper plus TV to keep up with the news. Younger generations get a lot of their news online.

Older generations poured through catalogs to order stuff or hit the malls. Younger generations browse the online shopping sites.

Older generations pulled out their encyclopedia or went to the library to do research on topics. Younger generations search online.

Older generation wrote letters or made phone calls. Younger generations use email for a lot of that kind of communication.

not to mention virtual forums as opposed to physical social hangouts.

Thank goodness that I can surf/buy music online now too!

And being able to do 99% of my financial stuff including pay and file my taxes via the web is a HUGE DEAL.

Audrey

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
My sixth grade teacher told me (in front of the entire class) that I was spending too much time reading and should spend more time doing other things. My mother also told me during that same year that I would have to wear glasses if I read too much. Well, maybe she was right (I do wear glasses) but I think reading was a valuable activity for an 11 year old.
My dad told me I'd go blind if I kept doing what I was doing. I vowed to myself that I'd stop when I needed glasses.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

A lot of people disparage "internet addicts" who "spend all of their time at a computer terminal" but are proud of the fact that they never take their nose out of a book. I do both (Internet and books) and don't see much distinction. The point is does it interfere with your life.

Addictions involve withdrawal symptoms. When I go out for hours on end doing whatever it is I choose to do on any given day I don't obsess about not being online. Next Monday I leave for a ten day bike tour in Italy -- I guarantee I am not going to fret about my RSS feed.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:17 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Next Monday I leave for a ten day bike tour in Italy -- I guarantee I am not going to fret about my RSS feed.

I've always wondered about these bike tours . Do they supply the bikes or do you somehow bring yours ?
Old 10-12-2009, 07:23 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Thank goodness that I can surf/buy music online now too!
I would have been addicted to Pandora or Slacker years ago instead of waiting. More importantly, with a Blackberry or the Slacker G2, you don't even need to be connected to the Internet to enjoy your own personalized Slacker Radio Station. Anyone who has driven across Wyoming (for instance) will appreciate not having to search for a radio station every fifteen minutes on the car radio. (Most importantly, no subscription -- or any fee, for that matter -- required for either service.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I've always wondered about these bike tours . Do they supply the bikes or do you somehow bring yours ?
Good question. I'm thinking that my 1966 Schwinn balloon tired bike with tank and horn would cost a fortune to ship.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:50 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I can get online and before I know it half the day is gone. Is this why I (semi) retired?
Anyway, thanks for the post. Step 1 is admitting I have a problem.
I'm not addicted; I can quit anytime I want. I know that because I've quit thousands of times.

Nobody was "addicted" to the Internet when you had to dial in at 2400 bps. How could it be an addiction now? Remember a year or two ago when we were all going to be sucked into Second Life? I wonder how the VCs who put money into that are feeling these days?

Speaking of the generational difference, it's become apparent to me that my daughter knows more about the events of aunts, uncles, & cousins than I do. I catch up via e-mail but she's doing it with Facebook & Tweets.

OTOH I'd prefer to have certain of our family-tree updates filtered through her...

Look at the other side of the phenomenon. My father (age 75) has stopped using his e-mail. That is not a good thing. I expect "the call" within a year.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:15 PM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Look at the other side of the phenomenon. My father (age 75) has stopped using his e-mail. That is not a good thing. I expect "the call" within a year.
Does he have severe vision problems? My mother got to a point a few years before her death (at age 98) where she stopped using her e-mail. I think that was due to problems with her vision. We got her visual aids but the problem continued.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Does he have severe vision problems? My mother got to a point a few years before her death (at age 98) where she stopped using her e-mail. I think that was due to problems with her vision. We got her visual aids but the problem continued.
Good point. He had one lens replaced a few years ago (cataract) and he's been told that the other lens is headed that way. He hasn't mentioned it lately, though. He's also been coping with blood-pressure medications in the last couple years (despite having double-digit BP for most of his life) and mentioning that they "knock him out". But last I heard he had adapted, unless his BP is getting worse.

Up until last year he used to e-mail or write every few weeks. Now it's only birthdays & holidays. Since my mother died nearly 25 years ago, he's chosen to isolate himself in a 1BR apartment in a small Rocky Mountain town. He says the only traveling he does is hiking local trails and he doesn't even drive to the big city anymore. In the last couple birthday cards (to my brother & me) he's mentioned "memory lapses" that he says are mostly humorous. He cared for his father through 14 years of senile dementia, so I'm sure he's already made his own arrangements. However his comments on subjects like that does not improve his progeny's morale.

But I never thought of his vision limiting him like that. Maybe I should offer to "drop by" with a 30" LCD monitor and tweak his computer's access settings. I know I sure appreciated upgrading from 19" to 23".

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:37 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Computers and the Internet are so all purpose that it would be hard not to have them anymore. Research from recipes to "who was in that movie on tv last night?" , financial management from banking to portfolio changes, social from e-mail, looking up phone numbers, e-vites, those facebook thingies, and never mind w*rk related things--I don't think we're going back to the non-electronic non-interactive versions of these.

I think the troubles for the person in the story are much deeper than an addiction to the Internet.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi Im Notmuchlonger and I have an internet addiction My father in law has really be hitting the deuces wild hard lately. I might suggest an intervention
Old 10-12-2009, 10:12 PM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
But I never thought of his vision limiting him like that. Maybe I should offer to "drop by" with a 30" LCD monitor and tweak his computer's access settings. I know I sure appreciated upgrading from 19" to 23".
Technology may help for a little while, depending on the rate of any possible deterioration in vision. We thought it would help Mom more than it did, really. I guess it helped for about six months. She was in her nineties when her vision got so bad, though, and in her case it was due to macular degeneration due to her advanced age (plus she only had one eye due to a bout with melanoma).

He does seem like he is at an age where travel is sometimes less possible and people tend to stick close to home. As I recall, by the time my mother was around 77 or so, she was about done with her trips to the Mainland, Europe, and so on. She stopped driving a few years before that, as well (thank heavens - - with one eye she wasn't a very good driver).

Sometimes it is so difficult to accept that our parents are undergoing the changes that come with age. But it is inevitable at some point. The hard part is remembering that they are still the same parents that we love, and that aging is normal and natural for them as they grow old. As you well know! I am just rambling on and not really addressing this to you, per se. I remember that my brother and I would react by feeling terribly aggravated and we had to remind one another it wasn't her fault that she was no longer the woman we remembered from back in the 1950's. After all, we are not the same cute little children that we probably were in the 1950's, either!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:09 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Hi Im Notmuchlonger and I have an internet addiction ...
Hey, what kind of addict are you? You just had almost a month of posting abstinence from this forum.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:12 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

He just got out of rehab and came straight here....
Old 10-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

NML, PM me if you get the urge to go back into rehab. Welcome back.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:19 AM   #36

Until I found this Forum I went online out of boredom.
But now.... Pity I don´t have the techno English or the IT skills
Old 10-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
NML, PM me if you get the urge to go back into rehab. Welcome back.

They had cookies what could I say... oh and thanks