Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sometimes I'll lie back on one of those big exercise ball things. Seems to help my back out a bit when it is feeling a bit stiff. I was kind of wondering about an inversion table, but no longer after this thread.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
The shock absorbers will rip apart, can't handle 80000lb or so.
Then, by extension, I shouldn't use an inversion table because my massive brain will place undue strain on my spinal shock absorbers.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Yes, I see your point -- as long as the lower body was suspended completely and allowed to hang free. But to the extent the body was lying on the table and resisting free suspension (friction), there might be some load on the discs, although less than standing upright.

But lying horizontal in bed accomplishes complete disc unloading, too (at least in the axis of the spine), no?.
Looking at it mechanically, horizontal position would be neutral, thus accomplish unloading. Unloading amount would depend on the connective material's elasticity.
The further one deviates from horizontal towards inverted, the greater the extension load. Thus depending on the elasticity of the connective material, the space between sticks, or vertebrae, would get greater. Reaching maximum extension, and, by the allowance of connective stuff's elasticity the space between sticks ( vertebrae) at full inversion. Firction against the surface gets less as the angle gets closer to vertical.

PS. Mercifully humans are not made like Light Rail cars, Don't fall apart upside down. Paraphrasing the science guy: try it you might like it.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Then, by extension, I shouldn't use an inversion table because my massive brain will place undue strain on my spinal shock absorbers.
Eh, you pays your money and takes your chances.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:08 PM   #25

How is hanging by your feet different, relative to the spine, than hanging by your hands?
Old 06-26-2008, 03:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
How is hanging by your feet different, relative to the spine, than hanging by your hands?
Minus weight of head and arms, about same stretch. Effort required, huge. No effort for strapped in, hanging by ankles.

One can test their endurance by grabbing a tree branch and time the duration from ascent to descent.
There are readily practiced options, one hand or two hand hang at will.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You'll dislocate your shoulders eventually.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
You'll dislocate your shoulders eventually.

That would be an undesired result.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:14 PM   #29

Well damnit, I'm buying one anyways, less the cost of two bone crusher visits. If it doesn't help the lower back maybe I can talk the Mrs.s into some fun n games on the thing.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:37 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That would be an undesired result.
Better than your head falling off.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:50 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Well damnit, I'm buying one anyways, less the cost of two bone crusher visits. If it doesn't help the lower back maybe I can talk the Mrs.s into some fun n games on the thing.
"Re-purpose"!!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:16 PM   #32

I injured my back lifting a patient two years ago. MRI showed several discs in my lower back were deteriorated and that L5-S1 disc was seriously bulging and impinging against S1 nerve. I kind of knew I would need surgery but I wanted to try as many alternatives as possible before going the surgery route. A close friend is a Chiropractor and I worked with him for several months. After that I went to Physical Therapist for several months. Both Chiropractry and PT provided some relief but I found that over time I was using more and more pain meds and decided to try Inversion Therapy as the last resort before surgery. I bought an inversion table from an Ebay source and used it 5 to 10 minutes three or four times per day. It provided immense relief of the pain and I nearly quit using narcotics. The relief I got from the inversion therapy was adequate for being a couch potato but I would have pain come back with much physical activity. I finally decided to have the surgery (L5-S1 discectomy) and have had good results with that. I use no narcotics and am able to do most of what I could do before the injury. Inversion therapy is contraindicated for people with BP problems or some cardiac problems or those with ocular pressure related problems. The most common problems encountered in inversion therapy are small bleeds in the eyes. I did not have this or any other problems while I was doing inversion therapy. Hanging completely suspended from your ankles can be uncomfortable and it takes a few weeks to work up to being able to tolerate it for ten minutes at a time. IMO inversion therapy is worth a try for people with lower back disc problems. BTW, DW did look kind of nice hanging upside down. A highly motivated young couple might be able to find interesting things to do while one party was suspended inverted.
Jeff
Old 06-29-2008, 07:17 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Or you could use this:

back stretcher