Is This National Do Not Call Registry Legit?

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
https://www.donotcall.gov/

I have started getting junk calls on my cell, and also on my recently acquired home phone. I want to register both numbers- is the address above the way to do it?

Thanks!

Ha

I still get 2 "research firms" who call us. That and some policeman's association thing.

I registered our home phone and both cellphones on there a year or 2 ago, and we receive almost NO calls now. Occasionally (though very seldom) we'll get some 'charity' calling us (they're exempt), or someone that we've done business with (they're exempt too)....normally we just ask them to remove our name from their list, and they do.

I also registered on Opt-out/Pre-screen to keep from getting all the junk mail. It's worked wonders! We don't get hardly any junk mail, and none of the credit card offers (except from the CC's that we already have)

The "Do Not Call" and "Opt-out/Pre-screen" are a couple of the greatest things since the invention of sliced bread! :D

I liked the policeman's one. When I said I wasn't interested he gave me this ranting about donating. Ya..I really want to donate to you now..:rolleyes:

Thanks. I'll register now.

Ha

I liked the policeman's one. When I said I wasn't interested he gave me this ranting about donating. Ya..I really want to donate to you now..:rolleyes:

The last time I received one of these callls, he intimated that having the sticker on the car would help me if I was pulled over for speeding. I asked him if he would mind repeating that statement so I could record it... he hung up immediately.

The last time I received one of these callls, he intimated that having the sticker on the car would help me if I was pulled over for speeding. I asked him if he would mind repeating that statement so I could record it... he hung up immediately.

My impression of those police donation calls is not a good one. They all sound like recovering drug addicts AND automatons. We get one who calls from out of state and the caller ID says "LOCAL CALL." First thing I told him was I that I don't give money to liars and he was shocked by my explanation. He kept on reading from his script though. I consider it a win if I can get them to hang up on me but it's getting pretty hard to accomplish.

Mike D.

The DNC registry worked for me, though I still gots lots of obnoxious "charity" calls. Of course, now that my landline is gone, viola!

I've only recieved one spam "text msg" on my mobile. I hope that was a one off...

I have been on the DNC list since it began and I signed up for another 5 years this year.

Whenever I receive the occasional call from a business that I have an association with or a charity, I ALWAYS cut them short and say "Take me off your list. Do you understand what I just said?"

We get very few calls here.

When on the DNC list, you can still be called by a charity, for polling purposes, for political purposes, or by any company you do business with or companies they do business with.

You can nip that last bit off by telling the companies you do business with to not share your information with their affiliates and business partners via a privacy policy change. I found my banks, credit card companies, insurance companies and others freely shared my phone number with a ton of companies. I'm therefore guessing that the law only requires a fairly tenuous arrangement between your direct business providers and their 'partners'.

Another huge source of selling my data were the three credit bureaus. You can stop that by following the instructions in this article:
Opt-Out Prescreen Online - Notify the Credit Bureaus Online to Stop Selling Your Name

After torquing down the privacy policies, opting out of the credit bureaus distribution and doing the DNC list, we're down to a couple of calls a week, almost all looking to take a survey or ask for a donation.

When on the DNC list, you can still be called by a charity, for polling purposes, for political purposes, or by any company you do business with or companies they do business with.

You can nip that last bit off by telling the companies you do business with to not share your information with their affiliates and business partners via a privacy policy change. I found my banks, credit card companies, insurance companies and others freely shared my phone number with a ton of companies. I'm therefore guessing that the law only requires a fairly tenuous arrangement between your direct business providers and their 'partners'.

Another huge source of selling my data were the three credit bureaus. You can stop that by following the instructions in this article:
Opt-Out Prescreen Online - Notify the Credit Bureaus Online to Stop Selling Your Name

After torquing down the privacy policies, opting out of the credit bureaus distribution and doing the DNC list, we're down to a couple of calls a week, almost all looking to take a survey or ask for a donation.

Did this, thanks for telling me about it. Now I will contact my CCs to do that part.

I really hate it if I am sleeping in and one of these outfits calls.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom