It was all so predictable...

IMG_0183.JPG

I thought you might enjoy - I guess you can tell Dusty was born retired.

Last edited:
The cold seemed to be intensified by the snow squall; the large flakes filled the air, and were coming down sideways. When I pulled up to the curb there was my future father-in-law under dressed in what looked like a lettermen's jacket, walking their snauzer Brandy. No gloves - he never wore them. I don't think the guy owned a proper winter coat. It was as if a guy from Florida couldn't understand the need for them. He looked cold and I felt cold looking at him. The vision of him walking that dog in the windy, cold, snowy day stayed with me ever since. I told myself no dogs for me.

It happened to me like it has happened to dads for ever; the kids wanted a dog and I wanted to move. A deal was struck if we moved there would be a pool and a dog. We moved and there was a pool but I was always was able to delay that dog. Then the inevitable showdown came "You promised" and I was done - it was I triple dog dare of fatherhood and I had no choice. Left to their own devices the Mrs and the kids would have went with one of the fru fru breeds. That wasn't going to happen so I stepped in and we compromised and settled on a labradoodle that we found online -supposedly low shedders. We drove to Lancaster to an Amish farm where the farmer slid open the barn door and put the light on his buggy on to illuminate some very large white puppies blocked in by hay bales. How to choose? I thought take the one that comes out the furthest. Which is exactly what we did 11 years ago.

I won't belabor their promises to care for the mutt or my pointing out how dogs limit travel because you know how that went. I have to call when we are away for more then three or four hours have you walked the dog?

Dusty is asleep on the couch next to me snoring (louder lately) 70lbs of white fur. We will be going for her evening walk after some time after 9. When we come back in I'll refill her water bowl because if I don't she'll wake me at 4AM. Some where in the past 10 years she learned to bang on an empty bowl. She'll stay down with the Mrs for a little while then I'll hear her come into our room and she'll find her bed and make a ruckus settling in. Some time after 5:30 AM I'll hear her collar ringing in the hall when she starts shaking her head. Time to get up old man. I'll go down and make my coffee and be lucky to get a few swallows before she comes down looking for her morning scratch and a walk.

I guess kids always get their parents dogs...I think I knew that.

Familiar story - probably repeated many, many times every day, all over the country!

We have a dog park in our mobile home park. All the dogs know me, so it is almost like having grandchildren:).
We will dog sit for a few neighbors, and it is a reminder as to the commitment you make when you have a dog.

Back
Top Bottom