It's not about the nail.....

FIREmenow

Full time employment: Posting here.
This is making the rounds a w&rk again -- hadn't seen it in a year or so. I usually don't promote sending videos around, but I just think it is so weird, funny, brilliantly produced, and spot on. Anyone seen it before?

I love that one!

Not surprisingly, DW did not get it, even though she does a version of this to me pretty often.

Can anyone explain the mindset? If you have a problem, why wouldn't you want constructive suggestions to fix it? Seems like they just want to wallow in pity? I don't get it.

-ERD50

It's a basic difference between men and women.

Men like to fix things and women like to talk about things.

Too bad this video wasn't around 20 yrs ago....may have saved me some grief but I suspect lessons learned the hard way are more durable.

The other side of the coin is that it's difficult to just sit there without doing anything (e.g. trying to fix the issue). How many times can one say "I know what you mean" and be sincere about it?

Too bad this video wasn't around 20 yrs ago....may have saved me some grief but I suspect lessons learned the hard way are more durable.

The other side of the coin is that it's difficult to just sit there without doing anything (e.g. trying to fix the issue). How many times can one say "I know what you mean" and be sincere about it?

And why is the onus on us to understand? Shouldn't the women who are like this (I don't want to over-generalize) accept that most of us men are wired to fix things? We are supposed to suppress our natural feelings, but they are free to embrace theirs?

Seems like a one way street to me.

-ERD50

And why is the onus on us to understand? Shouldn't the women who are like this (I don't want to over-generalize) accept that most of us men are wired to fix things? We are supposed to suppress our natural feelings, but they are free to embrace theirs?

Seems like a one way street to me.

-ERD50

A few more counseling sessions will "fix" your problem! :cool:

A few more counseling sessions will "fix" your problem! :cool:

:LOL: No, I know it cannot be fixed, it is just the way of the world! Maybe just looking for some empathy!

But dang, I really do wonder about it - I just don't get it.

-ERD50

You are married and you're still wondering?

Let me tell you a couple of wife stories. We both worked and we were about 40 miles apart. When she had a car problem she called me.

My car won't start can you come up here and fix it?
No, just call the closest service station and they will come by and give you a jump.

I locked the keys in the car, can you come and open it?
No, just call the service station and they will slim jim it open.

Can you...
No, I can't help you, call someone who can.

It took 3 goes at this before she stopped calling me first and just called the service station. You know the one a half mile away. One day I got home and she said her car wouldn't start so she called the service station. I gave her a hug and a kiss and took her out to dinner - :)

Hmm, well, as a female I'm not sure if I'm offended by this. (Since everyone is offended by everything these days, I might as well join the crowd :)
It is a stereotype. Many of us women are not nearly as touchy-feely and are bottom-line, "fix it" types ourselves. I know I am one.
On the other hand it is a clever video with some good humor.

Very funny and sooo true. I have my husband trained. He said yesterday, "It will be ok, dear," and voila I was better!

Very funny and sooo true. I have my husband trained. He said yesterday, "It will be ok, dear," and voila I was better!

OK, I'll try. But I can't see this working out well for me.

DW: "I can't get the internet on my iPad".

ME: "Yes, that can be frustrating. You must feel very sad and disappointed."​

I'm pretty sure her next words will be "Well, aren't you going to fix it?!"

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

-ERD50

Yup, that would be my guess.

Women love men that can fix things around the house. There was even a "Sex and the City" episode on the topic.

My wife saw no humor in the video and now I am walking around with a 16 penny nail stuck up where the sun doesn't shine. And now it is all about the nail.

Last edited:
I've seen this vid several times before and always thought it was rather patronizing. Targeted toward more of an patriarchal audience. Drifting slightly toward tolerant subordination......of the gentleman. It's a shame he's portrayed as being so clueless.

I was not offended but rather thought it a bit silly. Certainly not laugh producing. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

My wife saw no humor in the video and now I am walking around with a 16 penny nail stuck up where the sun doesn't shine. And now it is all about the nail.
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I'm afraid I didn't get the video. Couldn't identify with either party at all.

OK - it was dumb.

Last edited:
I think sometimes, to make a point, one has to go beyond the subtle. I see this video as taking neither side - rather, it exaggerates both to make it's point. I personally take it to show that men and women ARE indeed "different." I don't see it as "one is wrong" and the "other is right." They are just "different." Recognizing our difference goes a long way in smoothing relationships between the two sexes. Of course, I could be wrong - I'll ask my wife.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom