Jon Stewart leaving The Daily Show

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Too bad, but I understand what's it like to get "restless" after 16 years at the same job (18 in my case).

But now where do I get my (editorial) news? I can't/won't watch Fox, CNN or MSNBC!

Last edited:
Hoping John Oliver comes back to fill the seat. I actually prefer him to Jon or Colbert or Larry Wilmore, whose new show just doesn't grab me. I enjoy Oliver's extended treatment of different subjects:

https://www.youtube.com/user/LastWeekTonight

Stewart had to go - all his buddies moved on after he set them up - he had to be getting pretty restless with the same, albeit successful, format day after day.

Last edited:
Another vote for Jon Oliver.

DH and I are enjoying Larry Wilmore's new show but I don't think it will be an every night watch for us.

Perhaps we'll have to start getting our news from The Onion :confused::confused:

John Oliver's contract with HBO is for 2 years so it's highly unlikely he would replace Stewart. I used to get 90% of my news from Daily Show and Colbert Report. Now I won't know what's going on in the world. The Nightly Show hasn't been as good as I had hoped and I may not watch many more episodes. I've seen every episode of Daily Show and Colbert Report for the last several years.

Adios, Jon. I was entertained often, but the formula got a bit stale: Find a controversial issue, turn one side onto an oversimplified caricature, lampoon that. It's what most satire does, but the demands of having to crank out a show every day made it very difficult for the writers and Stewart to keep coming up with fresh ways to do it.

My thinking is that we won't let him leave.

He heads the list of my heroes:
Robin Williams
Red Skelton
Joathan Winters
John Candy
Sid Ceasar
Steve Martin
Lili Tomlin
Bob Hope

YMMV

My thinking is that we won't let him leave.

He heads the list of my heroes:
Robin Williams
Red Skelton
Joathan Winters
John Candy
Sid Ceasar
Steve Martin
Lili Tomlin
Bob Hope

YMMV
You may have seen this (it's appeared in sources well beyond Twitter).

Attachments

• tweet.jpg
    tweet.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 9
I too would like to see John Oliver take over but have read the articles about why he won't leave HBO. None of the current Daily Show correspondents seem fitting. If they don't find the right anchor it will be a big loss to those who enjoy Fox and CNN humor.

I'd like to see Oliver, too. He was a fine fill-in for Stewart when he did that movie in the Middle East. I don't like the panel part of Wilmore's show and his show airs opposite the first half of The Tonight Show, the part I don't want to miss. Maybe Wilmore gets moved up to 11 PM, assuming his show survives until then.

Too bad, but I understand what's it like to get "restless" after 16 years at the same job (18 in my case).

But now where do I get my (editorial) news? I can't/won't watch Fox, CNN or MSNBC!

You get your news from ER.org just like everyone else here. Yeah, most news I get from ER.org are links of initial news item but the commentaries which follow are priceless. :D

I was assuming Brian Williams would get the job. He's available, and should easily be able to [-]make stuff up about[/-] satirize the news.

Once I watched a program that showed what is like for Jon Stewart to prepare for the show. It is grueling. He deserves a rest.

How's that tune go? Another one bites the dust....

My first choices were Tina Fey or Amy Poehler (or both!) They either weren't asked or they declined. :(

My second choice would have been Aasif Mandvi.

I'll give this new guy a try, but he has very big shoes to fill. Time will tell if he is any good.

He is good - check him out on Youtube. OTOH, really enjoyed Larry Wilmore's bits on the Daily Show but think he falls short on his new show. Time will tell as you say.

I don't think we should be comparing any newcomer to Jon Stewart. He made that show completely his own, so we should judge the new guy solely on his own merits without comparing him to his predecessor.

I don't think we should be comparing any newcomer to Jon Stewart. He made that show completely his own, so we should judge the new guy solely on his own merits without comparing him to his predecessor.
+1. He'll fail if he tries to follow Jon Stewart, he needs to blaze his own trail. Leno was very successful, so is Fallon though very different.

Trevor on American sports and stocks - good stuff, does sound like me on stocks....

Back
Top Bottom