Join Early Retirement Today
Old 10-17-2009, 07:45 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
That said, my single most important lesson was the importance of the attorney both ability and chemistry.
What he said.

"It's tough to make predictions, especially when it involves the future." ~Attributed to many
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." ~(perhaps by) Yogi Berra
"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."~ Lau tzu
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2009, 10:35 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I realize why it has to be this way, but it's not easy for someone who gets bored watching the credits of movies.
A short attention span would probably automatically disqualify you for jury duty, especially if you can't keep up with the lawyer's voir dire.

What were we talking about again?

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:50 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've been summoned twice. For the first one I spent a couple of half days sitting at the courthouse and then the potential cases were settled or postponed. I think I had to call in and check if I was needed for 2 weeks.

For the second time I had to appear on the first day and within an hour I was on a jury. The case was a break-in by a guy who had just gotten out of jail and was supposed to be in a halfway house. The woman was home when he kicked in her front door at 9am and she got a good look at him and his car. He drove out of the neighborhood and headed to the freeway and just before the entrance ramp a police car spotted him. The description had just been on the radio and the perp made eye contact with the cop and started acting like he knew he was in trouble.

Not a tough case to decide but we did deliberate and go through all the evidence and took it all very seriously. It was a good education in how it all works, some of it was JUST LIKE ON TV! Other parts were slow and boring and involved waiting for lawyers to hash things out.

I came out of the experience with a respect for the judicial system and a fear of random acts of violence and creepy criminals out on the street. One problem that I saw in this case was that it was clearly obvious that the defendant's lawyer was appointed by the court. He was a real lightweight who was just going through the motions. But even a legal expert would have had a tough time getting this punk acquitted.

I think we got $13 a day and had to pay for parking and buy our own lunch.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:48 AM   #44
First time - County Court summoned me but I was in Texas working, so I didnt show up
Second time - County Court summoned me, but a full jury was chosen before I was interviewed
Third time- Federal Court summons, but I wasn't interviewed
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:53 PM   #45
Got put a on a trial. Case settled. Thank you for your service. Those are the kind I like. So much drama that went on in between though
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #46
WhoDares: I totally agree with you that in your case its virtually impossible to change from a jury system to one of professional judges. On the other hand I never would have thought that after a system of professional judges that has been with us forever, we would change to the jury system with practically no preparation of the citizenship at all....
Our Constitution reinstalled it because it seemed more democratic......
I personally think that Democracy is perfectly compatible with professional judgment.
Our last outrageous jury verdict: A straight youth goes to a popular gays bar, is chatted up by 2 gays, has several drinks with them and is invited to more drinks at their place. He ends up killing them both with a knife in their flat. Did it by knifing each of the gays no less than 30 times. Then set fire to the place. No sign of physical violence on him.
The jury acquits him accepting his plea that he was mortally threatened by the gays.
The decision was revoked, naturally.
No professional judge would have reached the same verdict no matter how brilliant and eloquent the defense lawyer might have been.
Who benefits from these situations? The sensationalist mass media, of course.

I get by with a little help from my friends....ta ta ta ta ta...
vicente solano is offline   Reply With Quote