Ken Stabler RIP

He was my favorite QB of that era. It was great watching the Raiders-Steelers rivalry with Biletnikoff and Branch catching his passes. RIP "Snake"

Last edited:
Sad to see him go at such a young age, reminder, get those colonoscopies.

Stabler played in Houston during the time when Gifford Nielson was the backup QB for the Oilers. I can remember reading some of the comments in the local newspaper that the players in the huddle could tell who was the QB during any given play without looking. If the huddle smelled like milkshakes, it was Nielson, if if smelled like Jack Daniels, it was Stabler.

RIP Ken

Stabler played in Houston during the time when Gifford Nielson was the backup QB for the Oilers. I can remember reading some of the comments in the local newspaper that the players in the huddle could tell who was the QB during any given play without looking. If the huddle smelled like milkshakes, it was Nielson, if if smelled like Jack Daniels, it was Stabler.

RIP Ken

Just think of all the stories about those personalities such as Snake we missed out on because the internet was not around back then. They knew how to burn the candle at both ends. I just don't see how Joe Namath is a HOF and Stabler not. The game was played differently back in the 70s so his stats wont reflect the achievements compared to a modern era QB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just think of all the stories about those personalities such as Snake we missed out on because the internet was not around back then. They knew how to burn the candle at both ends. I just don't see how Joe Namath is a HOF and Stabler not. The game was played differently back in the 70s so his stats wont reflect the achievements compared to a modern era QB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
All very true. I wonder sometimes how the Superbowl winners of the past few years would do against a team like the 1972 Dolphins (when in their prime) playing by the rules of those days. Of course modern science (e.g. better meds) might give the players of today an unfair advantage.

Last edited:
I loved that team back then. Remember how much stick-em Biletnikoff used to put on his hands?

Stabler seemed so old school. What a contrast to Griese and Staubach, the all-American boys.

All very true. I wonder sometimes how the Superbowl winners of the past few years would do against a team like the 1972 Dolphins (when in their prime) playing by the rules of those days. Of course modern science (e.g. better meds) might give the players of today an unfair advantage.

I think that the teams today would crush the teams back then... I would bet that the 72 Dolphins would not even win half their games...

Why? Because the size of players today are just so much bigger and they train all year long... I am going to make some big guess here... but IIRC a lineman was in the 240ish range... now they are 300 and faster... QBs were less than 200... so were running backs.... so, with the speed and weight gains they would not stand a chance...

I think that the teams today would crush the teams back then... I would bet that the 72 Dolphins would not even win half their games...

Why? Because the size of players today are just so much bigger and they train all year long... I am going to make some big guess here... but IIRC a lineman was in the 240ish range... now they are 300 and faster... QBs were less than 200... so were running backs.... so, with the speed and weight gains they would not stand a chance...

I don't disagree, and as I said, "modern science (e.g. better meds) might give the players of today an unfair advantage" I don't think the players today got that much bigger and faster just by eating a few more Big Mac's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom