laptop came back from the dead

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Last night I accidentally spilled some water on my laptop's keyboard.

Luckily, I only spilled abot a tablespoon full.

So I shut off the computer...turn it over to let the water run out...then about an hour later turned it back on. The laptop worked for a few minutes..then wouldn't power on. Then a few hours after that, the laptop would try to power on (I'd see some indicator lights) but no go.

I thought, maybe it's a goner...but decided to leave it overnight. Today I is working fine.

Now I'm wondering, which parts got too wet to power on?

Wow, you are really lucky! Did the keyboard come back completely? I have spilled liquids on a laptop keyboard and while the computer came back, many of the keys were fried.

Best approach with any electronics is:

REMOVE THE BATTERY!!!! This is why I don't like the built in batteries that are becoming more popular, and just about standard on Apple products. I wish they would at least provide a removable jumper.

With battery power and water, you get an electrolytic reaction that can destroy (eat up) the copper traces on a PCB, and/or deposit salts and stuff that will cause big problems. And even turned 'off' - many circuits will still have power running to them, they are just in an idle state.

If it is clean water, try to get it all out, including blowing it out and then let it dry thoroughly. A very low oven, some say pack it in rice to absorb moisture. Best to give it a few days. Any trapped moisture will take some time to evaporate.

If it is something nasty, like sugary/acidic soda, you probably want to get it apart and flush with clean water and then dry it. I was able to bring my niece's laptop back to life. She had spilled soda in it, and didn't get it to me until days later. I took it apart, brushed everything with plenty of soap and water, rinsed with plenty of water, dried it and it powered up fine.

We used to wash production circuit boards with (very pure) water. Most components can handle it if they are properly dried.

-ERD50

Dry it thoroughly in the microwave on high.

Mike D., who would not really do this.

Maybe use a vacuum cleaner, (wet dry vac), to pull the water from the keyboard? Using an air compressor might blow the water around other places. That's what I would do.

Back
Top Bottom