Lease Question in CT month-to-month

savory

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi,

I am a little confused with CT lease law as it relates to notice to tenants to vacate the property on a month-to-month lease and I am hoping someone can clarify this for me.

Briefly, we have been renting for a few years and our landlord has put the house on the market. It is going through the process and it seems from the inspection and communication, the sale is moving forward. We do not have a close date for a possible sale nor a notice to leave as of this date.

All this is happening legally at the end of our annual lease. At the end of this month, I do not expect a new lease and we will be month to month.
The first month-to-month will start 6/1.

Without a lease, the notice period appears to be three days (see below). I am confused when the three days starts. For example, if I pay rent on June 1, can I be 'evicted' with three day notice anytime during the month of June? Or, can I only be evicted with three days left in June so I would need to be out the last day of June, for example?

Does anyone know how this works legally?

CT law is as follows:

Connecticut state law does not specify how much notice tenants must provide to end a month-to-month rental agreement. Unless your rental agreement specifies otherwise, assume that you may provide the same amount of notice (three days) as the landlord to end your tenancy. Be sure to check your rental agreement which may require that your notice to end the tenancy be given on the first of the month or on another specific date.​

Last edited:
In our state there is a "Tenant's Rights" organization that publishes a summary brochure that would answer your question. When I had rental property I used to encourage tenants to get a copy. Good fences make good neighbors. Maybe you can find a similar organization in CT.

Without benefit of all the facts, of course, I would suggest that you approach the landlord with a proposal for a 30-day notice period on both sides plus a financial bonus for you if the house sells while you are in it. He does not want to be showing an empty house and he wants your enthusiastic cooperation with showings, etc. As a landlord I would be very receptive to such a proposal.

Under the law in our state, you would not be obligated to permit showings. Landlord access to rented property is only for "inspection" unless there is a lease that modifies the state law. YMMV of course.

Thanks Old Shooter. This was helpful

Believe once rent paid for June earliest eviction is July 1 with at least 3 day notice. Since you are aware home is listed for sale, why not talk to the owner now? Seems he/she should be willing to specify the intent of sale and closing date targets etc. It could be that a new owner may want long term stable renter such as you.

Believe once rent paid for June earliest eviction is July 1 with at least 3 day notice. Since you are aware home is listed for sale, why not talk to the owner now? Seems he/she should be willing to specify the intent of sale and closing date targets etc. It could be that a new owner may want long term stable renter such as you.

This is what we assumed but wanted to be sure.

We are discussing the logistics with the owner. He surprised us with the sale by posting it before telling us. A realtor knocked on the door hoping to get the listing since it was by owner. That is how we learned about it.

We have since had a conversation and he says he understands our concerns as he has moved a few times in the last 4 years. But given he was not upfront, our trust level is not high. There is an offer going through the process right now but I do not know the terms or buyer qualifications.

We are planning for the worse but hoping for the best.

Thanks for the information and your suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom