LED floods in kitchen, need more warm light

Well, decided to take back the 40W equivalent as they do not dim on any of my circuits.... I will leave the two of the four I put in the breakfast light as that is not bad and we hardly dim those at all....

Now have to make sure anything bought going forward can dim!!!

Well, decided to take back the 40W equivalent as they do not dim on any of my circuits.... I will leave the two of the four I put in the breakfast light as that is not bad and we hardly dim those at all....

Now have to make sure anything bought going forward can dim!!!

And the dimmers must be rated for LED/CFL as well. I wouldn't count on "we don't use the dimming, we set it on high" - they might use a physical switch to bypass the dimming circuit on FULL ON, but I'm not sure, and some one might unintentionally turn them down. They likely just set the semiconductor to FULL ON, and if it isn't rated to handle the reactive load that an LED/CFL present, it could be bad for the dimmer and/or the LED/CFL.

And beyond that, my experience is that the interaction between a CFL/LED rated dimmer, and a dimmable LED is still fuzzy. As I described earlier, my rated dimmer/LED combo fluctuated in brightness randomly - just moved up and down, rather than hold a steady level (not a repetitive 'flicker'). I had to add a filament bulb to that group, and that seemed to damp out the reactance enough for everything to work. But then you can run into the filament and LED not dimming evenly together, but that seems OK to me.

-ERD50

And the dimmers must be rated for LED/CFL as well. I wouldn't count on "we don't use the dimming, we set it on high" - they might use a physical switch to bypass the dimming circuit on FULL ON, but I'm not sure, and some one might unintentionally turn them down. They likely just set the semiconductor to FULL ON, and if it isn't rated to handle the reactive load that an LED/CFL present, it could be bad for the dimmer and/or the LED/CFL.

And beyond that, my experience is that the interaction between a CFL/LED rated dimmer, and a dimmable LED is still fuzzy. As I described earlier, my rated dimmer/LED combo fluctuated in brightness randomly - just moved up and down, rather than hold a steady level (not a repetitive 'flicker'). I had to add a filament bulb to that group, and that seemed to damp out the reactance enough for everything to work. But then you can run into the filament and LED not dimming evenly together, but that seems OK to me.

-ERD50

I am sure there are considerations to look at.... but I put in 4 BR40s in the kitchen at 9w each and the dimmer switch that was there works just fine... no noise, and it does not flicker or move around or anything.... just dims the LED lights.... looked them up and they say they are dimmable on the package...

I had not looked at regular bulbs to see if they have some listed as dimmable or not.... the cost factor is a multiple of these that they had on sale....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom