Life Changing Events

1) In my third year of college, changing my college major from computer science to economics. With my former computer and math background, this set me up to be a "big fish in a small pond" in my successful, 23-year actuarial career.

2) Buying the co-op apartment in 1989 I have lived in ever since. This gave me stability in my day-to-day home life and, after I paid off the mortgage 9 years later, put me on a path toward ER.

3) Deciding at age 20 that I never wanted to have kids. While I didn't know at the time it would greatly help lead me to ER, this decision put me on a path to the life I wanted to have and avoid one I did not want to have.

4) Meeting my current ladyfriend back in 2004 and her subsequent move to New York from Kentucky. This has also added to my overall happiness in everyday life.

5) Changing from working FT to PT in 2001. This enabled me to recover my personal life and end the misery of working FT and its awful daily commute. I was able to resurrect and old hobby and begin some new ones, all adding to my everyday happiness. It also put me one large step closer to....

6) Early Retirement in 2008 at age 45. This is by far my biggest achievement, combining personal freedom with economic freedom, a superb combination.

1. First all out fight with my parents in 6th grade, won't go into it, but lets say it opened my eyes in a big way that I just saw the world vastly different than my family and one has to stand up for your morals regardless of who it is opposing you.

2. On a whim agreed to take a co-op w/ IBM outside DC.. was flat broke, needed a place to live, business clothes, and some way to get there. Scariest time of my life but changed everything about who I was because I went from shy sheltered farm girl to outgoing confident business savvy woman.

3. Back injury, suffered for 5 years before i got surgery and then realized life is too short to go to work to buy a fancy car...when I could just trim my budget, be financially independent and re prioritize my life.

Can't do it in 3

1. Getting a BSChE degree and starting with Megacorp
2. Landing DW
3. Having 2 sons
4. Getting a termination notice but finding a transfer to a different business in Megacorp
5. Being empty nested and starting to travel widely
6. Reaching FI and picking my RE date (11 mo to go)

In no particular order..

1. Drove 2 hours to visit girlfriend only to find tag from another gents underwear on her bed. (just the wrong girl..)
2. Got my first dividend check
3. Met and married right girl (I learned to shop better...)
4. First time infant daughter feel asleep in my arms..
5. When we moved away from the NYC area and discovered another world.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
17 11/12y.o.: Earning my Eagle Scout. Gave me confidence and leadership skills, exposed me to many new skills. Led me to a 10 year career as a professional Boy Scout

22y.o.: Marrying. I got LUCKY!

31 y.o.: Birth of first child. Was also told I had a year to live.

32 y.o.: Proved the doc wrong!

43 y.o.: Started a recovery community center for people dealing with mental health and addictions.

Interesting to note that no one lists money items (inheritance, reaching a goal, etc) as life changing events.

Interesting to note that no one lists money items (inheritance, reaching a goal, etc) as life changing events.

well if I would have hit the powerball I would have put that down

no inheritance here, self made...the $$$ just gradually accumulated so it wasn't really an "event"

Things like getting married, the birth of my child and landing a super job all rank around the most impactful of my life changing events, however, getting a very high draft lottery number (well over 300) is without a doubt #1 in my mind. I can recall watching the lottery on TV. At that time, a low number (<200) would have most likely sent me to Vietnam and to who knows what.

Last edited:
Things like getting married, the birth of my child and landing a super job all rank around the most impactful of my life changing events, however, getting a very high draft lottery number (well over 300) is without a doubt #1 in my mind. I can recall watching the lottery on TV. At that time, a low number (<200) would have most likely sent me to Vietnam and to who knows what.

I'm with you on that. Only I was sitting in an Air Force barracks at tech school when I listened to the draft lottery. As I recall, mine was over 200, but it really didn't impact my life. ;)

Back
Top Bottom