Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-08-2014, 05:38 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensk Anga View Post
We had many leaks in copper pipe under the slab in our prior house. There never was any water showing up where it shouldn't. It must have drained away underground. I could hear it though. I would put my ear near a faucet and hear the hiss of water flowing.

We fixed maybe a half dozen leaks under the slab before we gave up and had the house re-plumbed with CPVC through the attic. Standard in our area now is to plumb with CPVC. Something in the water attacks copper. All of those old leaks were right next to a soldered joint. When a new leak turned up, I would listen with ear pressed to an overturned water glass 20' from where the last one was, where there was likely the next soldered joint.

The guy who re-plumbed our house was a college graduate. He had given up on I forget what career and took up plumbing. I think he specialized in doing the CPVC when homeowners had had enough of the copper problems.
I assume they insulated the pipes I recall in Houston one time when it got down to 8 f a whole bunch of houses had their water pipes freeze and burst because the pipes went thru the unheated attic above the insulation or above an unheated uninsulated garage. When this happened the water pressure in the entire city went to zero.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2014, 06:04 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensk Anga View Post
We had many leaks in copper pipe under the slab in our prior house. There never was any water showing up where it shouldn't. It must have drained away underground. I could hear it though. I would put my ear near a faucet and hear the hiss of water flowing.

We fixed maybe a half dozen leaks under the slab before we gave up and had the house re-plumbed with CPVC through the attic. Standard in our area now is to plumb with CPVC. Something in the water attacks copper. All of those old leaks were right next to a soldered joint. When a new leak turned up, I would listen with ear pressed to an overturned water glass 20' from where the last one was, where there was likely the next soldered joint.

The guy who re-plumbed our house was a college graduate. He had given up on I forget what career and took up plumbing. I think he specialized in doing the CPVC when homeowners had had enough of the copper problems.
Same here. Over a period of 20 years had to repair 5-6 leaks in copper pipe, all leaks in-wall. Last leak was under the slab. Didn't notice that one until we got a unusually high water bill. Then we started putting our ears to the floor and walls and we able to hear the leak. Ended up re-piping the house through the attic. Neighbor on one side had re-piped 2 years previously. Neighbor on other side re-piped 2 years after us.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #23

Copper coming through a concrete slab is not a good thing.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:37 PM   #24

This thread gave me a nightmare last night with a giant sink hole opening up in my backyard in our brand new home
Old 02-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #25

So, this morning DH started turning off water in the house and watching to see if anything changed on the meter. Nothing did. Later, he saw water usage only when the toilet was flushed twice. Then he made sure everything was turned off and we left the house for two hours. When we came back, he checked the meter and there was absolutely no water usage during that time.

So, it doesn't seem to be a problem with the meter and that would seem to rule out any constantly occurring leak. But, at this point, I'm sort of at a loss to figure out anything. We'll have a plumber come out and see what can be determined....

We have been planning on replacing the toilets ever since we moved into the house so we decided to go ahead and do that and bought 3 new toilets today that, in any event, we'll have the plumber install.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:03 PM   #26

I wouldn't rule out a meter problem. Something like Samclem's first idea in post 2 makes sense to me.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I wouldn't rule out a meter problem. Something like Samclem's first idea in post 2 makes sense to me.
We have made a record of what the meter is showing and will be checking for any large jumps. I agree that hasn't been ruled out yet.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:43 PM   #28

Wanted to update on this. We had the new toilets installed today (SO much nicer than the old ones). We bought:

Kohler Cimarron

The plumber said that toilets are usually the source of unexplained water usage. But, he also checked for any signs of leakage in the showers and the hot water heater and found nothing amiss. DH has been tracking our water usage and everything has been the low usage we have had in the past.

DH thinks the likely culprit for the water usage is the in ground sprinkler system. He turned off all water to the system and thinks it is telling that we haven't seen any great usage since he did that. It has been raining some here, but once it dries out he is going to turn the water back on to the sprinkler system and monitor and see if there is any increase in usage. If there is, he hopes he can walk around the sprinkler lines and find where there might be a leak.

If that doesn't turn up anything, then we will keep monitoring the water usage for the rest of the month to see if any large spikes occur.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:52 AM   #29

My toilet at one point had a slight problem with seals in the water tank and I could see that the water in the bowl was not quite still, which raised the water bill in a big way, so changing the toilet might have already solved your problem.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:28 AM   #30

If you have a sprinkler system installed, it's best to have a main auto valve installed on the system that opens when water is called for. Otherwise every one of the zone valves has pressure on it continually until water is called for. That means any one of the zone valves can be leaking and causing a problem at all times. A good sprinkler installer will do it this way, just a thought.... Also, for those of us who have actual seasons, the system should be fully off at the main valve and drained if possible where freezing can be an issue.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:47 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Wanted to update on this. We had the new toilets installed today (SO much nicer than the old ones). We bought:

Kohler Cimarron

We just replaced the original 1999 vintage toilets in our home with the same ones you just bought. They are great! (I never imagined I would be praising toilets...)