Lost a good friend today

Badger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
and I'm feeling a little down. We spent 4 great years at college and remained friends over the past 46 years. I suppose I'm getting to the age I need to expect this to happen more often if I last long enough. I'm not good at how to deal with things like this. It makes me angry and frustrated as well as sad because there isn't anything I can do about it.

I just didn't know anyone else to tell who might understand.

Cheers!

I'm so sorry about your loss. It is hard and sadly, it becomes more common as we age.

A high school buddy of mine died over the weekend. We used to shoot pool over our lunch hour or cruise the main drag. Funny guy, the class clown. The boy did like to party, though, and became addicted to the bottle. He succumbed to pancreatic cancer on Sunday.

It's a signpost to our mortality and also the loss of a friend -- it cuts two ways. But it's part of the river of life.

Joni Mitchell said it: "Something's lost but something's gained in living every day." Where we've gained is hard to fathom right now.

I've lost several friends before their time. And yes it makes me angry as well as sad. I am sorry for your loss.

Badger,

I am so sorry for your loss. My best friend died three years ago--ovarian cancer. Still think of her every day because she was such a non-judgmental friend I could call for wise input...little things and major. She loved life and fought the cancer valiantly. We may never understand, but we can feel blessed to have known such wonderful humans and take with us what they taught us by their living.

Again, so sorry. It stinks.

Sorry to hear about this. Especially with the holiday and new year which probably makes it more difficult.

The loss of a friend is tough...especially one we've known for many years.

Hopefully with a little time, fun memories will bring on a smile.

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. May good memories help to sustain you through this time.

Badger, very sorry for the loss of your friend...may you find comfort in the memories.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It is such a helpless feeling to lose someone we care about. Grief has a way of pulling the rug out from under us, and it can be exhausting. Be especially kind to yourself in the coming weeks/months.

Condolences on your loss. Try to keep only the memories of the good times. That's how we hold up our end of the deal.

My condolences on your loss, I too have lost several very close friends over the years; about the best we can do is keep the memories alive.

So sorry for the loss of your friend.
May God comfort you.
Matthew 11:28-29

So sorry to hear about your loss. We have had four friends pass away the last year. It has been a reminder to us to not work too hard and enjoy life while we can. None of us know what tomorrow will bring.

I am sorry for your loss also. It is good to reach out to other people and know that you are not alone. It is not easy. I hope that you do enjoy the memories of all of the good times that you had together.

I lost one of my best friends about 3 1/2 years ago. Yes the memories help, especially when you can share them with other friends of your friend. My condolences.

Badger,
Sorry for your loss. Lost many in the last year including a son to suicide. It is very hard for awhile. Grief is overwhelming. As the time moves on you will reflect on things you did together. Most on this site like to be in control, but the are some things we can do nothing about, life is short, God Bless

Badger, sorry for your loss, there were two friends I lost last year and I understand the pain, it does get better. pletal, your post brings tears to my eyes. Bless you for having the courage to talk about it.
Best wishes
MRG

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

There is nothing like a death, to make us more aware of how precious life is, and how important each minute must be.
Losing a close friend is in many ways like losing a parent or a child, as the closeness of experiences and common understanding is so near to your own life.
After 24 years of living in a senior community, and seeing nearly half of my friends now gone, it doesn't get easier.
Good to take the time to remember the good times. It helps.

Sometimes even in the darkest night a candle glows:
A good friend and a pillar of our community came down with colon cancer 2 year ago, and after weeks and months of treatment here in Illinois went to his other home in Arizona... for what proved to be a last ditch operation (colostomy) stomach removal. We all respected his privacy and stayed way for what we knew would be a final reckoning. No one heard from him, as he wanted to avoid putting his burden on others. We just assumed....
On last Friday while in the local supermarket, my DW brought me around to a different aisle and asked if I knew "who this is?" The 6'2" man infront of me bore a resemblance, but was 15 years younger and 130 lbs. lighter... but for sure, it was Bill.... I'm not given to crying, but the tears rolled down my face as I hugged him...
Some things just happen, and once in a while, they are great!

We must share the gladness with the pain...

Badger,
Sorry for your loss. Lost many in the last year including a son to suicide. It is very hard for awhile. Grief is overwhelming. As the time moves on you will reflect on things you did together. Most on this site like to be in control, but the are some things we can do nothing about, life is short, God Bless

So so sorry for your loss, pletal--just no words. God bless you too.

Losing friends at any age leaves us with little empty spaces in our lives where they used to be. I miss them all.

As others have said -sorry to hear of your loss. Time sure marches on...A good friend of mine had a heart attack on Weds but made it - 2 stints later he is home waiting for the 9ers game! We really need to appreciate the time we have together -
time is all we have, till it is up. Another great argument for ER

Back
Top Bottom