lottery win bankrupts the NEIGHBORS

Don't people have enough of their own personal business to attend to without getting involved in their neighbors' lives ??

I have no clue how much money my neighbors spend... and I am not at all interested.
+1
No retired Joneses that I know.

Couldn't something like the Amazon thread lead to similar behavior - buy something you wouldn't have even been thinking about before you saw it and read the raves?

Couldn't something like the Amazon thread lead to similar behavior - buy something you wouldn't have even been thinking about before you saw it and read the raves?

Yep. Instapot just arrived. I'm keeping up with all of you. Blow that Dough.

Kindof the reverse, but people see how I live (very modest condo, in a so-so neighborhood, Toyota Rav4), and they assume we are poor and often offer to give us stuff!

I kind of understand the dynamic. A very good friend has a late model Camaro with something like 700 HP. He gave me a ride and I wanted one! Now, I have no place to garage one or even drive one - but I wanted one. Oh, and by the way, my dear friend is $500,000 in debt at age 73! YMMV

Well, here's a list of the 25 worst lottery winner horror stories that might be a start for your book:

https://list25.com/25-worst-lottery-winner-horror-stories-cautionary-tales/

omni

Pretty awful stories there. Seems like many of them were predisposed to lead lousy lives, and the lottery windfall only put gasoline on that fire (i.e. drug abuse, bad relatives and friends).

I know it isn't nearly as sexy or click-baiting, but I'd like to read some stories about lottery winners whose lives greatly improved. They paid off debts, put kids through college, improved living conditions, became healthier, maybe retired early!

i won second prize in a lottery many years back but the prize money ( $6.60 Australian ) didn't impress anyone , but i DID stop buying tickets so maybe i was lucky in the long term ( but i did in 2012 buy shares in the company running the lottery .. that hasn't been such a bad investment )

does slow and steady really win the race :confused:

i won second prize in a lottery many years back but the prize money ( $6.60 Australian ) didn't impress anyone , but i DID stop buying tickets so maybe i was lucky in the long term ( but i did in 2012 buy shares in the company running the lottery .. that hasn't been such a bad investment )

does slow and steady really win the race :confused:

That's what they say and I am buying into it.:)

I won second prize in a beauty contest, but alas it was in the game of monopoly and my $15 was in funny money. It is rumored that I was the only one who entered that contest. : )

Last edited:
Kindof the reverse, but people see how I live (very modest condo, in a so-so neighborhood, Toyota Rav4), and they assume we are poor and often offer to give us stuff!

I see an eBay business springing out of this... :D

...but I'd like to read some stories about lottery winners whose lives greatly improved. They paid off debts, put kids through college, improved living conditions, became healthier, maybe retired early!

There was one near here about eight or ten years ago. An already retired sheriff won ~$5 million and has done a lot of donating to the community for stuff like a starter donation for a gym for a high school, a community center, donations to food pantries and the like. He keeps a pretty low profile though so one doesn't hear much about it. But ones like that don't make good news stories.

I know it isn't nearly as sexy or click-baiting, but I'd like to read some stories about lottery winners whose lives greatly improved. They paid off debts, put kids through college, improved living conditions, became healthier, maybe retired early!

There's an HGTV show called "My Lottery Dream Home" that profiles lottery winners looking for a new home. There is a mix of types, but a decent % are not overspending - like one late 20s female that won $5 million, but only was looking for a condo of around $250k I think (in the Indianapolis area), and a few others that are definitely grounded and sensible. Along with the handful that are looking for a new home that would use up 60% or so of the winnings (which is pre-tax-so I hope they can afford the real estate taxes/utility bills/insurance/maintenance!).

I would be responsible for bringing down multiple sets of neighbors, next to my main home, my city Pied a Terre, my country home...

My psyche recognizes a big difference in savings and found money. I would have so much fund spending found money even though I can't stand to touch my savings.

i used to have to odd dabble , but later i discovered buying shares so bought into 4 gambling businesses ( 3 are doing well for me one is currently struggling , and might yet fail )

unless it is a hobby i resist spending ( where i can )

both parents grew up in the Great Depression , so i had an early education in frugality

Back
Top Bottom