making lawyers look bad

I see you are still running for Goodwill Ambassador, John.

I'll give you the misspelling John. It is vos [idiot] Savant. But my point was a "Ted" kind of point. Here she is, the supposed smartest woman in the world, and what does she contribute to society? Nothing in my mind. I won't touch at this point whether she has a duty to contribute, given her gifts.

As for Camus vs. Lamas. That is absurd. ;)

Way back when we took the whatever they gave us in high school IQ test - had a friend who tested 186 - went on to become an LSD dealer in the 60's after dropping out of math at UW. Been off the radar ever since.

Tooooo smart:confused:

I'll give you the misspelling John.  It is vos [idiot] Savant.  But my point was a "Ted" kind of point.  Here she is, the supposed smartest woman in the world, and what does she contribute to society?  Nothing in my mind.

I actually think she does a DIS-service to many by trotting out a lot of unsupported opinion. This opinion, because she is supposedly so smart, is taken seriously by many who read her and don't know any better.

If she wanted to contribute something of lasting importance, she'd write about epistemology, logic, and the philosophy of science and teach her audience to think for themselves.

IM own HO,
Caroline

Caroline said:
I actually think she does a DIS-service to many by trotting out a lot of unsupported opinion. This opinion, because she is supposedly so smart, is taken seriously by many who read her and don't know any better.

If she wanted to contribute something of lasting importance, she'd write about epistemology, logic, and the philosophy of science and teach her audience to think for themselves.

IM own HO,
Caroline

This debate rages endlessly in Mensa. Some think all of that brainpower should be harnessed for doing good for humanity, writing, think tanks,
advising politicians, etc. Others (like myself) enjoy it just the way it is,
i.e. mostly a social venue for smart people. There are many many
overachievers in Mensa but most members are (or appear to be) just plain folks.
And, I would agree that many are just good at puzzles and test taking, or so it
would seem.

JG

Martha said:
I'll give you the misspelling John.  It is vos [idiot] Savant.  But my point was a "Ted" kind of point.  Here she is, the supposed smartest woman in the world, and what does she contribute to society?  Nothing in my mind. I won't touch at this point whether she has a duty to contribute, given her gifts.

As for Camus vs. Lamas. That is absurd.  ;)

Let's explore this a bit, I mean the "duty to contribute"part. I assume
you (talking to Martha here) are smart and well read enough to tie my
sign-on name in with Ayn Rand/Atlas Shrugged and my politics.
The fictional John Galt and his followers felt compelled NOT to
contribute as they saw the system composed of left leaning
effete clueless nonproductive morons. That's the way I feel most of the time, and this did play a role in my decision to ER. I wanted to remove myself from the world of commerce (where I had most of my success)
and so deliberately not contribute to a corrupt system. Serendipitously, it
has proven to be an ongoing process which keeps me occupied in my
leisure hours. :)

JG

Martha said:
As for Camus vs. Lamas. That is absurd. ;)

Martha,

you should know it's not absurd, it's JG. ;)

or

perhaps you might mean, JG = absurd. :duh:

MJ :D

[mumble] there are some people that could stop contributing that I wouldnt miss much [/mumble] ;)

I suppose the worst combination is someone who doesnt contribute, but doesnt let that stop them from endlessly whining and taking pedantic pot shots at others.

th said:
[mumble] there are some people that could stop contributing that I wouldnt miss much [/mumble] ;)

I suppose the worst combination is someone who doesnt contribute, but doesnt let that stop them from endlessly whining and taking pedantic pot shots at others.

Agree completely. :)

JG

MJ said:
Martha,

you should know it's not absurd, it's JG.  ;)

or

perhaps you might mean, JG = absurd.  :duh:

MJ  :D

Come on MJ. Not your best effort. Anyway, I was just jerkin'
Martha around a little. She can take it :)

JG

MRGALT2U said:
  Anyway, I was just jerkin' Martha around a little.  She can take it   :)JG

While I am sure that she can take it, you should know that we don't like it.

MRGALT2U said:
Come on MJ.  Not your best effort.  Anyway, I was just jerkin'
Martha around a little.  She can take it   :)

JG

JG: You're sure digging yourself a hole!

Jarhead...you could have limited yourself to the last two words of your post and been equally as effective and much more succinct ;)

MRGALT2U said:
Come on MJ. Not your best effort. Anyway, I was just jerkin'
Martha around a little. She can take it :)
JG

I guess, I'm just not as entertaining as you JG.
I'll try to do better next time. :'( :D

Back
Top Bottom