Making the connection...

cute fuzzy bunny

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
It seems Gabe has made his first connection with what he eats and where it comes from. One of his favorite foods is chicken, he'll eat it all day long. We've been over at the park near the zoo sanctuary a lot lately, where a lot of feral chickens congregate, and he's been chasing/petting them. They're rather tame for wild chickens.

Anyhow, last night I gave him his dinner and he pointed at the chicken and said "Ahhhh! No chicken! I dont want to eat that NO MORE!". I asked him why and he said "Because I like to play with them better."

Wait until he figures out where bacon (his second favorite food) comes from. The have several big old pigs at the sanctuary. At least pigs arent called "bacon".

Might have a vegetarian coming along. Although he's no big fan of vegetables either. My wifes tricky though, she purees beets and puts that into brownies and cauliflower puree goes into cupcakes. Seems the chocolate masks any beet flavor and the cauliflower is so bland that it disappears into the cupcake. Actually makes both the brownies and cupcakes moister and fuller bodied too.

See thats why when you were growing up your parents said dont play with your food..

Oh man Im on a roll today...

I must be hard-hearted. I grew up on a farm and knew early on that what was in the freezer had formerly been in the barnyard. That lamb was delicious.

my brother always ate anything that has lived but i didn't care for eating animals as a kid and had to have everything not just well done but unrecognizably burnt before i'd taste it.

i think people--well, not khan the barbarian (lamb indeed)--have more trouble eating the cuter animals so gabe might be ok with bacon & lobster for a while. but later when he finds out how intelligent pigs are he might base his degree of vegeterianism not on cuteness but on the presumed consciousness of the prepared dinner. and after that he might base it on cholesterol like the rest of us.

um...who is Gabe?

living where i live, there is a lot of venison available. i've tried it, it's ok, but all i can picture is the Disney Movie "Bambi". and yes, darnit, i cried when Bambi's mother died. <such a sap :rolleyes:>

i have nothing against hunters or raising critters for food. just don't make me watch. :p

it's just an association i can't get out of my mind. the old uncensored Disney movies do strange things to young minds. what can I say?

my brother always ate anything that has lived but i didn't care for eating animals as a kid and had to have everything not just well done but unrecognizably burnt before i'd taste it.

i think people--well, not khan the barbarian (lamb indeed)--have more trouble eating the cuter animals so gabe might be ok with bacon & lobster for a while. but later when he finds out how intelligent pigs are he might base his degree of vegeterianism not on cuteness but on the presumed consciousness of the prepared dinner. and after that he might base it on cholesterol like the rest of us.
Fresh lamb is especially good cut into chunks and marinated in olive oil, garlic, and a hint of oregano. my Greek ancestors would be very proud of our local barbarian. LOL

I just picked up my four year old granddaughter from preschool, and I pulled two pieces of ham out of the fridge for my midafternoon snack. (No bread, just the ham) She came over and asked what I was having, and I answered " a couple of slices of ham" She then said, "ham, that's a pig's fanny!" I said "yes, it is" and shared it with her. We live on a farm, and she's coming along just fine as a farm girl.....;)

Try chopped/pureed brocolli. My dad mixes it in with lean ground beef and makes burgers out of it. Very good actually.

um...who is Gabe?

living where i live, there is a lot of venison available. i've tried it, it's ok, but all i can picture is the Disney Movie "Bambi". and yes, darnit, i cried when Bambi's mother died. <such a sap :rolleyes:>

i have nothing against hunters or raising critters for food. just don't make me watch. :p

it's just an association i can't get out of my mind. the old uncensored Disney movies do strange things to young minds. what can I say?

My neighbor likes to go hunting. He gives me bambi burgers fresh off the grill.

LMAO. i left myself wide open for that one.

make that TWO squadrons of rotten tomatoes honing in on your location. (see post in "did you have children" earlier today)

"Revenge is a dish best served cold", eh Khan?

Last edited:

You should try grilling the back straps at some point. a lot of people get them butterflied, but I think it turns out much better, with a lot less work, if you do the strap whole like a pork loin. Maybe marinate it first. It grills great and stays moist.

If you can't con him out of the strap, then at least suggest this to him.

My sister is squeamish about giving her kids any notion of this. (They are 6 and 4 and they live in typical suburbia). They do see wild turkeys, but haven't obviously made the turkey connection. She thinks if they get wind of it it will traumatize them.

Does anyone else besides freebird remember, when they were young, how they personally processed this info?

I personally can't remember any "aha!" moment at all -- nothing, blank. So it was either SO traumatic that I blocked it out.. OR I didn't really care too much since it tasted good. I tend to think the latter.

My sister is squeamish about giving her kids any notion of this. (They are 6 and 4 and they live in typical suburbia). They do see wild turkeys, but haven't obviously made the turkey connection. She thinks if they get wind of it it will traumatize them.

Does anyone else besides freebird remember, when they were young, how they personally processed this info?

I personally can't remember any "aha!" moment at all -- nothing, blank. So it was either SO traumatic that I blocked it out.. OR I didn't really care too much since it tasted good. I tend to think the latter.

My memories go back unusually far so maybe I can help. I remember thinking that the chickens WANTED to be our great dinner and felt special to be on that pretty plate in the middle of the table. I remember learning that cows went to slaughterhouses to become steaks, and thinking that was all too complicated to understand. None of it bothered me one bit. I think that I felt these animals were happy to meet their destiny of gracing our dinner table, just as I would be happy to grow up and seize my destiny, which of course was to be Just Like Mommy. :rolleyes:

Not to be reminiscent of Lord of the Flies, but kids can be heartlessly cruel! Sometimes they don't see the tragedy in these things.

Edited to add: Since I was an extremely sensitive girl who would cry at the drop of a hat, my mother may have made all of this seem cheerier when presenting it to me. She was a really good mother and knew just how to handle it.

Last edited:
I grew up eating cute little animals, since my Dad, older brother, and Grandad liked to hunt. So I knew early on where the various meats came from that we had for dinner. As a little kid, I was never traumatized by watching the critters get shot or cleaned....it was just part of our normal life. We ate (and still do eat) Bambi, Thumper (sorry CFB), and the rest of their little, furry, forest friends like Rocky & Bullwinkle. Add to that list pheasant, quail, beaver, possum, and raccoon. I've also eaten elk, buffalo, Dumbo, Winnie the Pooh, Wally Gator, and rattlesnake. I won't eat bugs, insects, or worms (knowingly anyway), but other than that, if the critter crawls, swims, walks, runs, or flies.......I'll try it at least once! I'm pretty much omnivorous! :D

BTW, our neighbor is always giving us venison prepared in various ways.....sausage links & patties, both regular and Italian.....meatloaf.....roasts......burgers...etc. He also supplies us with turtle meat.

Grandad also butcher chickens and turkeys on a fairly regular basis......used to LMAO watching those headless chickens running around the yard!

Attachments

• Bambi & Thumper.jpg
    Bambi & Thumper.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 2
How is it possible your light-colored carpet does not show a spot with a 3-year old around?

A three year old, three 100lb+ dogs and three cats.

It aint easy. Actually thats our sitting room out in the front of the house thats away from everything else, so it actually stays pretty clean. The rest of the house looks like a combination of a direct hit on a toy store and a minor explosion at a pet store.

He was pissed when he saw that I put the helicopter with the cars and trucks.

THOSE dont go together...the helicopter FLIES!

Al's scrutinizing the picture trying to find the hole from a prior project... ;)

Back
Top Bottom