Margaritaville for seniors

Very nice overall. Perhaps down the road.
Thought heavily about 55+ communities, but decided for now on a mixed age gated community. Sometimes I wish there were more retirees, but we have made many new friends with ages ranging from 45-70.

As an introvert, I've always felt most at ease in isolation. I live on 40 acres primarily to minimize the number of neighbors near me.

DW, who grew up in the city, occasionally fantasizes about having a downtown condo but upon reflection, realizes that having lots of other people living nearby would require a big adjustment after living for 30 years in the country.

Of course, all that may change if we lose our ability to live independently. Then the options would be based more on what we need than what we want.

Personally, a retirement community with a theme would drive me a little batty after awhile. That would apply whether the icon was Jimmy Buffett or Mickey Mouse. Buffett as a musician has never appealed to me -- I find his lyrics slightly lame. But "Lost Shaker of Salt" could be a good name for the memory care facility.

-- I find his lyrics slightly lame. But "Lost Shaker of Salt" could be a good name for the memory care facility.[/QUOTE]

:LOL:

I think I would prefer a Del Webb community myself. I have been around a few.

Was in Palm Springs last week and played golf (Mountain Vista) at a Del Webb community, seemed very nice. Played with a couple owners there and they spoke very highly of it although personally I don't consider Palm Springs practical for a year round residence, good for 7 months of the year though.

Last edited:
I would probably enjoy that place but I plan on aging in place. Kids and grandkids nearby, a "Village" supporting aging seniors, restaurants and grocery in walking distance.

The writer had a handler from the developer. Interviewees were selected by the developer. Of course that doesn't diminish the experience of the ones interviewed. I would very much enjoy the social interactions. A happy hour for instance. But everybody in hawaiian shirts and dancing? Seems like a photo op there. That part would get old for me

<get off my lawn Jimmy>

The writer had a handler from the developer. Interviewees were selected by the developer. Of course that doesn't diminish the experience of the ones interviewed. I would very much enjoy the social interactions. A happy hour for instance. But everybody in hawaiian shirts and dancing? Seems like a photo op there. That part would get old for me

<get off my lawn Jimmy>

The article itself was well done. The author zoomed in on a specific event (people lining up to "waste away in Margaritaville") and then showing its place among broader social trends. But yeah, the photos could have been handed out by the developer -- dancing, drinking, attractive widow/divorcee.

At age 75 I can walk the dog any direction 5 blocks and depending on the bearing: hit an artist area (green/bluehair/tatoos) , hispanic/black , gay, med student cluster, or tourist trap - aka shops/various cuisines/boutique hotels, and plain old plain old 1950's style suburb.

That's enough variation of lifestyle for me. :dance: :D :LOL: :cool:

heh heh heh - I thought his I - 95 song was rude until I had the opportunity to drive it. Ok Jimmy I got it now. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well the best thing about the article is that I discovered their Radio Margaritaville. Can we assume Jimmy has approved all the music? This might be useful if one enjoys throwing tropical island themed parties, or simply enjoys Jimmy Buffet concert replays.

Radio Margaritaville | Listenhttps://www.latitudemargaritaville.com/

I am sure Jimmy is more concerned with the $$$ he's making from the deal...like his margarita machine, the burger chain, all the bars scattered all over the Caribbean. I'm sure he has a team that makes sure all of this is "up to snuff".

But the people in some of those communities are so . . . . . . . . old.

I may be of real retirement age now, but my wife and I are not . . .old. I'd like a mixture of ages.

And I'd hate to think I'd have to listen to all that Buffett music throughout the common areas at the pool and club house.

I may be of real retirement age now, but my wife and I are not . . .old. I'd like a mixture of ages.

And I'd hate to think I'd have to listen to all that Buffett music throughout the common areas at the pool and club house.

I don't know...when my Dad was still around, he had some pretty rambunctious get togethers with his friends (as in every single Sunday until the last month of his life!)...all of which were at least 80 years old. I had difficulty keeping up with them! :D

It looked fun but not moving to Florida. The senior housing developments here are way more expensive than in Florida.

If it's anything like the Margaritaville resorts count me out. Simply put your name out front and collect the checks. I'm sure there are better options. The resort in Key West is a prime example. First it was a Hilton, then a Westin with few if any updates. Now a JB Margaritaville with a new sign panel out front and a few minor details. If interested read the reviews.
I doubt that a similar marketed 55+ community would be much different.

Friends of ours live in a 55+ community in Texas. They will have 10,000 houses built in the near future. There are 5 floor plans to choose from. You can't plant a bush or paint your outside house without approval. There are several hundred pages of rules you must follow. They love it. I would not like it.

R, that sounds terrible. I would not like that either.

Last month on my early morning walk I passed the JB Margaritaville in Pigeon Forge TN. No Buffett music but Dylan's "Knockin On Heavens Door" was playing. Perhaps they mixed up the sound track from the retirement community in FLA.

And don't ask why I was in Pigeon Forge. Sometimes you have to do things for family.

Last edited:
I was a fan but after the last concert not so much. $500 for a couple of tickets to be surrounded by hundreds of old drunk people.
The restaurants are overpriced even by tourist trap standards. Can't imagine living in a place where the commonality is fandom for the hardest working marketer in show biz.

Still think of moving to a 55+ condo type thing once I'm dogless Now and then though.

I am sure Jimmy is more concerned with the $$$ he's making from the deal...like his margarita machine, the burger chain, all the bars scattered all over the Caribbean. I'm sure he has a team that makes sure all of this is "up to snuff".

Couldn’t agree with you more. A Jimmy Buffett concert was on my sister’s bucket list s few years ago. So I drove 4 hours, sat in stupid traffic, set up a pop up gazebo, and brought frozen Magaritas in the cooler Enough for 1-2 each. We ate and drank a little while others around us got puking level drunk. My sister flew across country for this and other touring.

Waiting in line to enter the amphitheater, we were beyond drenched in a downpour in the open. Soaking wet. +5. I got bored two songs in, since I wasn’t into it. Cheered for songs I didn’t know and didn’t care about, watching her and DH buy beer, watching many people throwing up drunk and the police had to be called into the tailgate crowd.

Jimmy Buffett gets unnecessarily filthy rich off of people celebrating drunkardness. Pretty disgusting in my book.

The next day we visited Falling Waters (Amazing Frank Lloyd Wright home outside of Pittsburgh) and we loved it. I think she learned what I already knew from the experience. Peaceful natural places win. Every time.

I was a JB fan in the 80's, and still like most of the music, but am tired of the "Parrot head" routine. But, if you are ever in Key West, go to Schooner Wharf most afternoon's and listen Michael McCloud. Good music, and not a fan of JB and the others he feels co-opted Key West. His commentary is quite interesting.

And on a side note, if Raven is playing you need to hear her. The best rendition of Johnny Cash ever.

Lost shaker of salt - sounds great a little further down the road.

I have only seen senior developments online but they do seem to have some advantages.

Anyone with first hand experience living in senior living ?

Yep, reminds me of what an older buddy of mine said when I asked if he ever looked into a retirement community: "Nope, too many old people!" He was in his early 80's.

He and his local friends all lived in there own condo's and looked out for each other, often into their 90's. We currently live in a neighborhood with an older population of retirees, typically in their 60's to early 80's, but it's not officially a retirement community. Fortunately, we get a steady trickle of 40 and 50 somethings to replace those who pass on...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom