Margaritaville for seniors

I have always found it sad that nobody likes old people; not even other old people. I mean, we're all gonna be old people, pretty much. Why can't we like each other more?

I visit SIL and BIL twice a year in their 55+ community near Ft. Myers, in fact, just got back. While I understand that the aging process creates all kinds of health issues, aches and pains, it is very depressing sometimes, because that is all people talk about whenever they get together. DW and I've been visiting them for the past 5 years, and that's all I want to do there. Just visit.:flowers:

I visit SIL and BIL twice a year in their 55+ community near Ft. Myers, in fact, just got back. While I understand that the aging process creates all kinds of health issues, aches and pains, it is very depressing sometimes, because that is all people talk about whenever they get together. DW and I've been visiting them for the past 5 years, and that's all I want to do there. Just visit.:flowers:

Funny, people in our 55+ community don’t speak much about health/aches/pains. No more than on this forum. It’s really not a predominant topic.

NYT story on Jimmy's 55+ community in Fla. A bit more thoughtful piece on senior living and purpose. A sense of community is what I get from the story. They bury the AL & Memory care housing in the story. But overall a pretty good thoughtful piece

No doubt that this will be a wonderful place to retire.
Caveat....
In your plans,consider how long you will live in an over 55 community. 10? 20? 30 years? And take time to understand the difference between the "over 55"... and what comes next... a Continuous Care Community, where you might have to move in the later years..

A slow moving change, but, like ours, a mix that allows safe and comfortable transition... in place, without the disruption that often come from relocating in the future.

Finding this combination today, take some searching, as the division between "over 55" and "CCRC" still exists in large part. It's a matter of looking for "new". When looking, find out the lifestyle of the independent living residents.

As I see it, a two phase retirement.

Last edited:
Right - I don't consider our 55+ community to be the last place we'll live, and I don't think our neighbors do either. That's why folks 80+ tend to leave.

I like “old people” but I also like living in a diverse area. Most 55+ communities tend to be gated communities in the suburbs. Not a lifestyle we embrace. I enjoy living in an urban area and seeing little kids to elderly folks regularly. And we like being able to walk to dozens of restaurants, the grocery store, farmers market, bank, eye doctor, etc. We never chose the gated community in the ‘burbs lifestyle when we were younger, and aren’t likely to.

I agree with the geographic arbitrage comment. Our beachfront So CA condo is worth 2-3x the asking prices for the FL development. But then we’d have to leave So CA for FL. We love our little beach community here so not too likely we’d move away.

YMMV

I enjoy living in an urban area and seeing little kids to elderly folks regularly.

I think this is the key. It's not so much a question of not liking old people, but seeing *only* old people all the time. Seeing a mix of all ages around you is refreshing.

I like “old people” but I also like living in a diverse area. Most 55+ communities tend to be gated communities in the suburbs. Not a lifestyle we embrace. I enjoy living in an urban area and seeing little kids to elderly folks regularly. And we like being able to walk to dozens of restaurants, the grocery store, farmers market, bank, eye doctor, etc. We never chose the gated community in the ‘burbs lifestyle when we were younger, and aren’t likely to.

YMMV

Maybe where you are 55+ communities are like communes of old folks that are stuck away from the "rest" of you. But that's not whet we are experiencing at all. Our small development (437 single family homes) is quite active and next door to a college (1/8 mile walk) and also two neighborhoods full of younger people with children. Plus, we are not gated in.

There are a dozen restaurants within walking distance, a grammar school, a very large church (Woodland Church with thousands of members), three large hospitals and mega shopping all within one mile.

The above is pretty typical for 55+ subdivisions around here. They are not made like prisons or lock up locations at all.

Maybe where you are 55+ communities are like communes of old folks that are stuck away from the "rest" of you. But that's not whet we are experiencing at all. Our small development (437 single family homes) is quite active and next door to a college (1/8 mile walk) and also two neighborhoods full of younger people with children. Plus, we are not gated in.

There are a dozen restaurants within walking distance, a grammar school, a very large church (Woodland Church with thousands of members), three large hospitals and mega shopping all within one mile.

The above is pretty typical for 55+ subdivisions around here. They are not made like prisons or lock up locations at all.

The neighborhoods in the rural areas around the Villages in FLA are not the best when it comes to food/shopping/medical options and thus it is more self contained.

My experience has been that some people have so little else to discuss, that health issues (which are naturally important to them) become the predominant topic. It's either that, or grandkids, or how everything costs too much these days.

Other people exchange news on health issues because they are concerned about each other. Once the latest health news is out of the way, and everyone has been reassured that the others expect to be alive and kicking for a while longer, they move on to other topics of interest to everybody.

What I don't know, is what would cause each type of person to gravitate to a particular community....

Funny, people in our 55+ community don’t speak much about health/aches/pains. No more than on this forum. It’s really not a predominant topic.

My experience has been that some people have so little else to discuss, that health issues (which are naturally important to them) become the predominant topic. It's either that, or grandkids, or how everything costs too much these days.

The predominant topic of conversation in our community is about travel: where people went last summer and wanting details about their experiences; what are their plans for next summer. Following that it’s usually about activities and local events. People are a little pet crazy here - I don’t mind even though I’m not a pet person. Maybe after that about home/yard improvement projects, neighborhood gossip, and some grousing about landscaping. We have a very active community, so the conversations reflect that.

I guess people here really do have plenty to talk about beyond health, prices and grandchildren - just like people in other age groups.

Last edited:
Personally we do not like "Themed" communities, 55+ or otherwise. Del Webb is our "Current" favorite as they are pretty neutral, but the Association Fees for all those amenities do add up once you add the bond (CDDs they are called in Florida). Resale homes are always way below new from a pricing standpoint and some even have the amenities bond paid off. I do not think we would ever buy a new home there.

I've spent a few months at the villages over the past few years. I am only 37 but in laws like it there. They will rent three months and split the duration with brother so they get a month and a half a year.

We've stayed in a few of the different areas. I am guessing HOA is through the roof because it was very well maintained there.

Pickelball, check. Dancin in the town centers, check. Driving golf carts more aggressively than you ever imagined, check.

I think it’s a land cost issue. In Southern CA, there aren’t too many 55+ communities on the beach. In the community where we live, I’m not aware of any within a couple of miles from the beach. There is one I know of in the next town that’s in a nice area, but it’s pretty old and not that desirable.

I live in a small Condo Association. The units are small enough that having more than two people in the home is a big of a challenge, so we used to be mostly older working couples and a fairly large number of retired women (I guess we guys die off to fast.) But, times have changed. With single family homes having seen some pretty nice price hikes over the last few years, some young couples are buying the bigger three bedroom units (they come with a two car garage, 2 baths and usually a very large outdoor deck area) and staying put. A buddy of mine and his wife raised three kids in a 1200 sq ft 3-bedroom 1-bath single family home. It can be done.

Caveat....
In your plans,consider how long you will live in an over 55 community. 10? 20? 30 years? And take time to understand the difference between the "over 55"... and what comes next... a Continuous Care Community, where you might have to move in the later years..

Right - I don't consider our 55+ community to be the last place we'll live, and I don't think our neighbors do either. That's why folks 80+ tend to leave.

Good reminders about the difference between a 55+ community and Continuous Care. We have also seen a big lifestyle change as older friends approach 80. Even if generally healthy, they typically don't have the energy to "do stuff" all the time. Routine health appointments and errands plus a bit of social stuff take up all their energy.

In our HOA-run townhome complex, it seems that well over half the population is 55+ in age, although there aren't any official age restrictions. The only young kids you see are visiting grandkids; this is fine by us. The rest is the population is 30-40 something singles or couples with highschool age kids. We love this place because we get along well with the older retirees, in large part because we enjoy the slower pace of life NOT centered around kids.

We have noticed that most folks stay here for decades, essentially aging in place. In fact, on our block it seems like more older people have actually died at home in their late 70's or 80's than moved into Continuous Care or nursing homes. Although this sounds morbid, I gradually realizing that this is may be what we want to do also, at least until we're down to a sole survivor.

Another interesting thing is that most folks here don't seem to snow bird for more than a few weeks. We only know one couple who snowbirds for several months. Not sure if it's choice or economics.... Most folks just hunker down for the long winter, some even braving the worst it to walk their dogs. It is somewhat inspiring to see so many folks getting along well, or at least tolerably well, in retirement.

Friends of ours live in a 55+ community in Texas. They will have 10,000 houses built in the near future. There are 5 floor plans to choose from. You can't plant a bush or paint your outside house without approval. There are several hundred pages of rules you must follow. They love it. I would not like it.

I think it boils down to whether responsibility is matched with authority. I wouldn't be inclined to live in a place where I'm responsible for the exterior maintenance and landscaping, but don't have the authority to make meaningful choices without commitee approval.

On the other hand, in our townhome complex the HOA is essentially fully responsible for the outside maintainance and landscaping. So for us, it is fine that the HOA is in charge because it becomes "their problem". We pay $300/month (higher COLA flyover country) so that we don't have to deal with the exterior. Well worth it for us!

As an example, the HOA contracts to paint the wood siding every 5-7 years. From my own history of owning an SFH without an HOA, I would never be this diligent! I'm too lazy... :D

I think it’s a land cost issue. In Southern CA, there aren’t too many 55+ communities on the beach. In the community where we live, I’m not aware of any within a couple of miles from the beach. There is one I know of in the next town that’s in a nice area, but it’s pretty old and not that desirable.

I think you have a point there. When we lived in Southern CA, I never saw a 55+ community that was not a trailer park. Here in Texas, land is less expensive and it's common to see adult theme communities made up of single family homes like ours in desirable communities.

Sigh. I just wish there were a community where people discussed art, music, theater, literature, creativity, nature, and science!

The predominant topic of conversation in our community is about travel: where people went last summer and wanting details about their experiences; what are their plans for next summer. Following that it’s usually about activities and local events. People are a little pet crazy here - I don’t mind even though I’m not a pet person. Maybe after that about home/yard improvement projects, neighborhood gossip, and some grousing about landscaping. We have a very active community, so the conversations reflect that.

I guess people here really do have plenty to talk about beyond health, prices and grandchildren - just like people in other age groups.

We have given Jimmy enough $ as we have been to many concerts (when he still had hair). He is just phoning it in these days.

We can do it ourselves.

We've begun looking into some senior living options, but Margaritaville or other themed communities don't appeal.

Long time fan of JB and have seen him several times back in the 80's when tickets were not ridiculously priced. It's been interesting to watch JB's career. I think I saw an article around '86 (maybe when JB was about to turn 40) where he was still hoping to have $50K to blow on a an around-the-world tour. He probably makes that per day now with all the merchandising. Happy for him, but don't think I would attend another concert unless someone gave me the tickets and arranged the transportation. You can't go home (but maybe YMMV.)

I've spent a few months at the villages over the past few years. I am only 37 but in laws like it there. They will rent three months and split the duration with brother so they get a month and a half a year.

We've stayed in a few of the different areas. I am guessing HOA is through the roof because it was very well maintained there.

Pickelball, check. Dancin in the town centers, check. Driving golf carts more aggressively than you ever imagined, check.

HOA fees are $159 per month in The Villages and this includes free golf on any of the executive golf courses. I agree The Villages is beautifully maintained. We will be looking to purchase a home in The Villages in the next few months.

Back
Top Bottom