Marriage of convenience

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
I may end up getting married just to simplify the paperwork (and to get him on SSA).

What would Suze Orman say ? Convenient ! There is nothing convenient about putting your financial future at risk !

Khan, you have brought this up before, and you know we are worried that this would put you at risk of abuse. Why are you bringing it up again, to inform us or to look for input?

We're both USA citizens living in USA, but his career was in Australia so he has no SSA. Trying to get him on my accounts has been a total pain.
This experience has definitely increased my sympathy towards same-sex couples.

If you haven't done so already, talk to a lawyer. Ask about a pre nup.

Are you sure he can't somehow be covered under the relevant reciprocity agreement? Details here: International Programs - Totalization Agreement with Australia As long as you have a good pre-nup and marriage is truly necessary for him to get benefits, I would say go ahead. I think people who haven't dealt with the various complications of being in a transnational relationship have a very difficult time understanding how challenging it can be to deal with the logistics. But then again, one of the main reasons DH and I got married when we did was 1) to save on our taxes that year (a $4000 savings that is still nicely growing in our IRAs) and 2) to get him a green card so that he would be sure of being able to stay in the US after finishing his Ph.D. Yes, we were in love and we are still together nearly 17 years of marriage, two kids, and two closely parallel careers later, but we didn't go into marriage based on starry eyed romanticism alone. There was a significant pragmatic element to our decision. For us it worked out well. At the time we didn't have a lot of assets so there was no prenup. If I were entering into a similar arrangement now with the asset base I have, I would DEFINITELY have a rock solid pre-nup. Good luck making your decision. lhamo

Hey, whatever happened to romance? If Kahn wants to get married, congratulations and bon voyage!

Ha

Seriously, Khan, as noted above, there are reciprocal 'social tax' agreements between the US and Oz. I have no doubt that he can get SS based on his record there. Or even get the payments from Oz, although it remains to be seen if that is better than SS. I have benefited from that myself, to get credit for SS for social tax payments in two other countries. You need to check this out first.

Best of luck,

Ed

This would concern me greatly without a long, serious talk with an expert in immigration law that understands what other avenues are available for this person. And then it still gives me pause for you to consider marriage unless ironclad prenup contracts can be signed to protect your interests.

Superannuation tidbits: if leaving after temporary visa, you can claim the money in the fund; and you pay 35% tax on the claimed amount.

I'd think that the claim for SS credits for those 5 years in AUS would not be legit if individual claimed DASP (departing Australia superannuation payment) and took the payment.

Not a tax or immigration or civil lawyer, so I am disadvantaged in this discussion.
:cool:

Managed to get him on my AAA card and a credit card. Apparently can not get him on car insurance until we have the same address.

Hey, whatever happened to romance? If Kahn wants to get married, congratulations and bon voyage!

Ha

+1

Good luck Khan.

Just to echo others here, if your intended had his career in Australia then he will have superannuation due to him. This is the rough equivalent of the 401(k) with a notable exception that it is compulsory for the employer to contribute. I also believe that when he files his US taxes each year he should be reporting his superannuation as they are monies invested in a foreign financial institution. (he won't pay any US taxes until he begins to make withdrawals).

Superannuation in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Managed to get him on my AAA card and a credit card. Apparently can not get him on car insurance until we have the same address.

I recently added a person to our car insurance policy who is not
related to us, but needed the use of a car.
She is a student at the local university, a friend of our daughter,
and we consider her trustworthy.
She does not live with us.
Geico added her on our existing policy for an small monthly amount.

I talked with OH insurance and FL insurance; they assured me it could not be done without familial or address sharing.

Just curious, but why do you need to add him to these things? I understand the social security thing if you are life partners, but does he not have his own credit card and car insurance? If not, why does he need them now (especially your credit card)?

I have money/income and well established credit.
Am willing to pay for improvements to make my living conditions better.

Solar water heater
Tires for his car.
Already supplied freezer and bed and dishwasher.

Crap, it's cheaper and better than assisted living.

And the reason he needs to be on your credit card is....:confused:

I have money/income and well established credit.
Am willing to pay for improvements to make my living conditions better.

Solar water heater
Tires for his car.
Already supplied freezer and bed and dishwasher.

Crap, it's cheaper and better than assisted living.

Pardon me, Khan, but I think you must have lost your senses. I can see this ending badly. I fear that this gentleman will squander your hard earned assets and leave you with nothing. For God 's sake (and your own) please get out of this situation while you still can.

Khan, you can just buy those items yourself, you don't have to put anyone on your credit card account to do so, especially someone who has poor credit. You can keep cash around the house, or use an allowance system, but you are vulnerable to losing your good credit and your financial security with allowing him into your accounts. You could consider this person a roommate and graciously allow him to live there rentfree and even to collect social security on your record with a marriage of convenience and make him your heir, but you still don't have to give him direct access to your $$.

You are a smart person and I hope it all works out well for you, but will keep my fingers well-crossed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom