Marrying into Money

ER@40

Recycles dryer sheets
This ER goal is taking too long . . . maybe I can achieve the same by Marrying into money. Anyone have any good ideas on this? Perhaps hook up with some rich industrialists or politicians daughter? Am willing to offer a finder's fee :)

ER@40 said:
This ER goal is taking too long . . . maybe I can achieve the same by Marrying into money.

One of my college friends did this. Sounded like a great deal, until next thing we heard he had gone gay.

Ha

My father once advised me that "it is just as easy to fall in love with a rich girl as a poor girl". Problem was I never met any rich girls. But it all worked out O.K. When Mrs. Grumpy and I got married she had $100 to her name, I had $8.50. We had to cash a few wedding gift checks to go on our honeymoon. This past Wednesday was our 36th anniversary. We are both retired (ages 57 and 58) and FI.

Grumpy

ER@40 said:
This ER goal is taking too long . . . maybe I can achieve the same by Marrying into money. Anyone have any good ideas on this? Perhaps hook up with some rich industrialists or politicians daughter? Am willing to offer a finder's fee :)

From what I have heard: If you marry for money, you end up earning every penny of it! :-\

Thanks guys. Been wondering what my best guy friend (married) was trying to warn me about. ::)

DOG50 said:
Perhaps you should consider and old rich widow gal.:eek:  Nah..........not worth it.

Reminds me of the joke - The 85 year old man shows up at his class reunion with his new wife - A 23 year old shapley blonde. One of his former classmates says to him "How did an old codger like you get such a Hot young thing to marry you" - The 85 yeard old says "I lied about my age - I told her I was 99" :confused: :D

ER@40 said:

Her dad would probably insist on a pre-nup. ::)

Just my two cents but what I remember most the years of struggling together as a team are more memorable than years of easy money. I do know a good friend in college who maried into serious money ($100M in 1972) and found a really nice gal but that is so much the exception.
I never had a problem dating women who made a lot more than I did (which is not hard as a Federal civil servant) but they were making money rather than inheirting it so that makes a difference.

Believe it or not, you came to the right place.

Buy yourself a decent mid-range tuxedo, a nice pair of shoes, a nice watch and 2-3 different ties/cummerbunds. Or a couple of nice cocktail dresses and shoes if you're female. Please...only if you're female!

Look into the local black-tie charity ball/events going on. Every major city has about one a week, sometimes more. Everything from dances to museum openings. Sign up, pay for your deductible tickets and go. And keep going.

I had a buddy that went to every one. I went with him 3-4 times a year. You run into roughly the same 75-80% of men and women, a lot of which are looking for someone to meet. After you've seen and talked to the same people a couple of times and they've seen and talked to you, pick somebody interesting out and go from there. There is a 'seasoning' period to these things, as some of the non-regulars are scammers or looking for a quick pick-up. You have to muddle into this a little.

The regulars are almost ALWAYS reasonably smart, high end professionals or people who have family money. My friend Dave always had a full 'dance card' and none of the women he met and dated were head cases or jerks.

Probably a good way to meet and fall in love with a nice, well to do woman or man as easily as you fall into love with a poor jerk. And if nothing else, gets you out of the house once a week to mix and mingle.

Its not even hard work. Even after only going now and then, I had plenty of attractive, interesting women come up to me regularly with the "didnt I see you at the museum opening last month?'...

Food for thought. Thanks everybody.
At this rate I'll be married (and richly so) in no time.
Who says there's no leprechaun gold at the end of the rainbow . . .

yakers said:
Just my two cents but what I remember most the years of struggling together as a team are more memorable than years of easy money.
Pain & trauma have a way of enhancing life's experiences... or at least searing them into your cerebral cortex.

HaHa said:
One of my college friends did this. Sounded like a great deal, until next thing we heard he had gone gay.

Ha

Ha: So what's the end of the story? Did she kick the poor guy out of the house, and leave him penniless, or did she give him a few bucks for a "good try"? ;)

Jarhead, I don't know. I didn't know him (or her) well enough to ask about that. I do know that they both were devastated. I don't think he knew and obviously she didn't. She was an East Coast Socialite, and he just seemed like an unusually polite well spoken guy.

He's now a history of art professor and doing fine on his own.

Ha

Happy Anniversary to the Grumpys.

My parent's had their 58th anniversary the Wednesday before yours. Hard to imagine.....I only made it to 7.

grumpy said:
My father once advised me that "it is just as easy to fall in love with a rich girl as a poor girl". Problem was I never met any rich girls. But it all worked out O.K. When Mrs. Grumpy and I got married she had $100 to her name, I had $8.50. We had to cash a few wedding gift checks to go on our honeymoon. This past Wednesday was our 36th anniversary. We are both retired (ages 57 and 58) and FI.

Grumpy

I can sure relate. DW and I are your ages and we will celebrate #37 in 2 months. DW had an appendectomy on the 3rd day of our honeymoon. No insurance. Medical bills took almost every penny we had. No wedding gift checks to cash...

REW

Lynda and I will celebrate our 39th in July. Hard to believe that
I have been married for 55% of my life. :D

Cheers,

Charlie

DW and I = 40 years. 40/62 of my life? Is that a good asset allocation? Hmmmm. Wow, never thought of it that way?

Cut-Throat said:
From what I have heard: If you marry for money, you end up earning every penny of it! :-\

Ooh, that's a good one. I dated some very rich females and ended
up marrying one with no money, so it must have been love.
No regrets.

JG

Marrying into Money
« on: June 23, 2005, 09:46:53 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This ER goal is taking too long . . . maybe I can achieve the same by Marrying into money. Anyone have any good ideas on this? Perhaps hook up with some rich industrialists or politicians daughter? Am willing to offer a finder's fee

HaHa -- I notice that YOU'VE noticed both this question AND the gender of the questioner! :D

On the issue of gold digging and gender, I rest my case!
Caroline

Back
Top Bottom